Page 18 of 744 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118518 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    That's just what I'm suggesting. Have him practice a form of magic that isn't voodoo but isn't referred to as such by him but others because they don't understand it and he's black/Haitian. And also change what is needed. My only worry is that they get rid of his own unique lore in the process.

Eh well like most outrage circles it wouldn't be just the audience in particular that would be offended, or the offended ones might not consist of them at all. But really I don't think there is a high population lol. So I do think they can just roll with it but adapt the character well as they usually do. Besides, having him be just another sorcerer that is black is a lot more boring (and Mordo is that already) and the voodoo angle is what makes him distinct. If handled well he can be the scene stealer of the Doctor Strange sequel.
    The tricky thing about completely seperating him from Voodoo is that his name is Doctor Voodoo. Though I suppose that can just be what people nick name him, and he can just use his real name. Jericho Drumm is actually a pretty cool name. Like Luke Cage, it's arguably cooler sounding than his super hero name.

That's just what I'm suggesting. Have him practice a form of magic that isn't voodoo but isn't referred to as such by him but others because they don't understand it and he's black/Haitian. And also change what is needed. My only worry is that they get rid of his own unique lore in the process.

Eh well like most outrage circles it wouldn't be just the audience in particular that would be offended, or the offended ones might not consist of them at all. But really I don't think there is a high population lol. So I do think they can just roll with it but adapt the character well as they usually do. Besides, having him be just another sorcerer that is black is a lot more boring (and Mordo is that already) and the voodoo angle is what makes him distinct. If handled well he can be the scene stealer of the Doctor Strange sequel.
    Bushmaster didn't shy away from witch doctor like stuff so I don't see why Voodoo needs to.

A little bit of outrage is a good thing. Free publicity + bring awareness to wtf voodoo even is lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Bushmaster didn't shy away from witch doctor like stuff so I don't see why Voodoo needs to.

A little bit of outrage is a good thing. Free publicity + bring awareness to wtf voodoo even is lol
    The difference though is that little kids likely won't be dressing up for Halloween as Bushmaster. Granted Voodoo is sort of a long shot too, but you need to be a bit more careful with a character who is a potential IP.

That said, I do agree that a little bit of outrage can be good for free publicity.

I'd love to see Voodoo in the MCU. The only problem is the potential for some people to be offended by his powerset. His depiction of voodoo (the popular Western version of it anyway) I've read can be seen as offensives to vodou priests and priestess because it demonises it and turns into witchcraft when it's really not that. That's the possible reaction to it. It's also possible Derrickson might try to change a few things here and there since he tried to do a whole lot of that in the first DS movie.

My advice would be to have Jericho Drumm be a sorcerer that practices a different branch of the mystic arts that's darker or just different. And say Jericho and Daniel chose to practice different forms and Jericho now lives in New Orleans. He is a known sorcerer to his community, but they dub him as a voodoo practitioner because he's black and they obviously don't understand his magic.

That, or they just roll with it and hope it's not a big deal.
    Remember once upon a time people thought having black in black panther would be offensive because of the black panther party. They were like, the movie should just be called Panther lol. This was a legit discussion on CBR a decade or so ago.

I think the only way Jericho would be offensive is if they Rhodey him... i.e. just make him the ain't **** sidekick with stagnate inferior powers (or armor, in Rhodey's case) that can't really do anything without the protagonist watching his back.

But if they put the time and effort in making him a quality and powerful character, and show respect to mysticism of the art; i don't think most black folks or afrikans will care at all. The much older folks already understand this comic book stuff is for kids and manchilds haha

Now sure, a completely dumb tone-deaf director could make this offensive just like what could've happened with Man-Ape or a number of other topics in the "Panther" movie lol
    Black Panther vs Thor
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baO2V3qTuMc&t=3s
    Ref: Avengers Assemble Season 5: Black Panther Quest Ep13

Ppl were outraged by Killmonger's campaign.

And yet Killmonger is a beloved top 2 MCU villain by most

Voodoo will be really popular among black kids and teens. Black parents aren't going to care, as long as the character isn't a shucking and jiving incompetent with a more ugly than awesome costume, and a forced crappy accent

Jericho is the exact opposite of those things
    Black Panther vs Thor
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baO2V3qTuMc&t=3s
    Ref: Avengers Assemble Season 5: Black Panther Quest Ep13

Plus people forget...Drumm IS a doctor...so there is an intellectual aspect...and that could be an interesting theme if someone really plays with it the right way. I agree the bones and stuff have to go. Maybe giving him an outfit closer to the one he had when he was Sorcerer Supreme

I'm assuming Voodoo can already teleport, don't really need Eden around.

I'm hoping Voodoo gets introduced in DS2.

Not as a sidekick though... but as access to a whole branch of magic Strange and Kamar Taj in general don't mess with.

aka... Nightmare and Mordo kick his ass, Strange heads someplace that is barely mentioned in the texts (photographic memory) and it leads him to Voodoo. And strange just gets a taste of it, doesn't magicaly memorize the whole voodoo playbook

So you introduce Voodoo as this badass, give him some feats, but still leave him vague enough to spin him off to his own movie

or something
    I just like Eden, so I'm fine with him sticking around.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by ArsonoptiX View Post
    Plus people forget...Drumm IS a doctor...so there is an intellectual aspect...and that could be an interesting theme if someone really plays with it the right way. I agree the bones and stuff have to go. Maybe giving him an outfit closer to the one he had when he was Sorcerer Supreme
    I'd have him dress kind of like Papa Midnite.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I just like Eden, so I'm fine with him sticking around.
    Eden is arguably the best teleporter in comics (him, MAC or Magik). He is functionally one of the most useful heroes to have. SOMEONE should want this guy around. If not the Avengers (I liked him on that team personally), then it's cool that BP recognizes Eden as the asset he is.

If I were making a Dr. Voodoo movie I'd just have that be a label he sort of uses but not really have him tied specifically to voodoo practice.

I also would make him more like Gabriel Knight meets Harry Dresden or John Constantine. A guy that investigates and is much more down to Earth than Dr. Strange.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 01-08-2019 at 11:35 AM.
    Pull List:

Regarding Dr. VooDoo on film, it’ll be impossible to satisfy everyone, but authenticity and agency will go a long way. Disney/Marvel can consult experts on the religion (Vodou/Vodoun), and create something special on screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gessela View Post
    Regarding Dr. VooDoo on film, it’ll be impossible to satisfy everyone, but authenticity and agency will go a long way. Disney/Marvel can consult experts on the religion (Vodou/Vodoun), and create something special on screen.
    The main issue about authenticity might be marvels stance on magic. For the MCU at least, "magic" might be more science than actual magic. We're not entirely sure if there are any "real" gods and such out there.

Though I suppose there's also room for real magic if they want to go that route. It might sort of depend.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    The main issue about authenticity might be marvels stance on magic. For the MCU at least, "magic" might be more science than actual magic. We're not entirely sure if there are any "real" gods and such out there.

Though I suppose there's also room for real magic if they want to go that route. It might sort of depend.
    Science and the supernatural can be made indistinguishable in the right writer’s hands. Interdimensional contact and quantum mechanics are a start.

In the MCU, science and magic are blurred into "cosmic" at the high-end. That's pretty much the implication with things like the gems, and Dwarf forging, that past a certain point there is no science and magic, only cosmic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    Pantherjack vs Dr. Doom
    The outcome of which we have been waiting for since BP vol 4.