Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
I'm not sure I understand everything here but I did say the question was a tough one. But all I'm saying is that Wakanda did nothing, and the fact that they did nothing has barely been a topic in the comics. Personally, I think the whole "Wakanda is isolationist and xenophobic and they're so cool" thing hasn't aged well. It was cool for some decades, I admit. I initially liked Black Panther and Wakanda because of that. But it just doesn't feel right anymore, at least to me. I'm just tired of that angle. Even if other nations don't want their help, let them at least try.

I think Achebe is the one villain that could work best in this context as far as I know. Maybe just retool his origin a little bit. But seriously, there's so much more interesting stuff to do with Black Panther in the MCU than making him fight another monarch for two hours. I mean, I'm not that against the idea of T'Challa kicking Atlantean or Doombot ass. I'd really like to see T'Challa fight enemies stronger than regular humans. But I can't just see it being that interesting of a story for where the character and his nation are right now.

Imagine the sequel starting off taking place immediately where the first film left off. T'Challa's still at the UN. The speaker guy asks him what Wakanda can offer the rest of the world as a nation of farmers. Audience gasps and murmurs. T'Chaka gives a knowing chuckle and says: "Well if you will like to find out, please follow me outside." He and his entourage walk off the podium. Ross gets a phone call with someone asking him what the hell is going on. T'Challa leads the representatives to multiple Wakandan aircrafts that decloak themselves. He tells them to get onboard so they can see the real Wakanda. They're fly off, with everyone on board confused and bewildered. Nakia takes T'Challa's hand and both of them smile off to the sun. Two hours later they fly right into the Golden City. Cut to the present and we get a quick montage like a trailer for a documentary about how Wakanda's revelation will shape this new decade. We see some of the stuff I described in the earlier post and a lot more. Shots of T'Challa walking around like President Obama meets Tony Stark meets Nelson Mandela.

Seriously I don't get how people can't see that potential to tell such a different, great and affecting story, or they can and just want to see that potential be literally destroyed.
Wakanda being xenophobic and isolationish is not supposed to feel right... that's why T'Challa is changing all of that. Wakanda is basically a prop to make T'Challa look better. Wakanda's flaws allows T'Challa to be an agent of change to right the wrong.

We have to remember that at the end of the day the point of all of this is T'Challa, not Wakanda... if Wakanda in the past at least looking bad allows T'Challa to look good in the here and now, it's a trade off marvel will make.

Plus you can't NOT have Wakanda do noting about all the terrible stuff which has happened to africa in the past, because in the MCU like in the real world it DID happen. It's similar to the issue Blue Marvel had in his mini... Wakanda like Blue Marvel basically HAD to do nothing because the MCU history had to be the same as the real worlds. And of course, them not doing anything creates the opportunity to raise some interesting questions about their decision to do nothing, so it all works out.