Page 128 of 744 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138178228628 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 11160

Isn't Oscar like the last big one once it is done it is over?

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

It's always a full year no matter which award you start counting from

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Yea they're always the last

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    It's always a full year no matter which award you start counting from
    Yea they're always the last
    Didn't realize it was a damn NBA season length.

Even got an off season to discuss future Oscar bait movies!

Never really paid attention at all
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Sorry.

That doesn't them any less African. (Within the fictional MU of course.)

When Stan Lee and Jack Kirby created the Black Panther and his mythos back in 1966, they were described as an African civilization hidden from the rest of the world as opposed to some quasi-alien off shoot of humanity such as the Inhumans.

Let's not get too carried away with the revisionist history here.

There was nothing remotely false about the narrative of Africans resisting the West in relation to the Transatlantic Slave Trade but I can see how choosing to see history from a perspective that portrayed Africans as being complicit in their own enslavement, would be easier to embrace for some.
    Isn't that what makes them Africans? Hell they share languages, architecture and more with other African countries despite being isolationist until T'Challa.

I don't think it's fair to say Wakanda isn't a part of Africa because of their politics, philosophy and advantages. That's what makes them Wakanda as they are but they are not therefore automatically separate from the continent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumbaa View Post
    Of course you can. Wakanda wasn't just separate from Africa, they were separate from the entire world, but no one would argue that Wakandans aren't Earthlings/Human. They obviously are both separate from it and a part of it. As you know Africa is about as diverse as you can get. Different languages, religions, cultures, skin tones and levels of technological prowess. Wakanda just adds an even more diverse element (vibranium tech) to Africa in the MU while still sharing a few things with some African tribes (i.e. religion, clothing, languages etc.)

I would agree. But i would also add that South Africa is not Africa, South Africa is South Africa, and Nigeria is not Africa, Nigeria is Nigeria. All of them together are Africa and that includes Wakanda (in the MU obviously).

And Pastiche is a term we use to evaluate art in the real world, but that doesn't work in-universe. If someone asked T'challa why he dresses like an African he wouldn't say "Its a Pastiche" or "its just a coincidence our cultures came up with similar styles". He would say Because I am African. Just like if an alien asked him why he looks like a human he would say because I am human.

And correct me if I'm wrong but although Wakandans would kill other Africans that tried to enter their lands, they were free to travel around Africa all they like, weren't they? Which means they were probably taking all kinds of cultural elements such as clothing designs, art styles, food recipes, etc from the rest of Africa back to Wakanda all the time. Just cause Wakanda didn't share with the rest of Africa, doesn't necessarily mean the rest of Africa wasn't sharing with Wakanda without knowing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumbaa View Post
    What is politically and culturally African? The politics of Eswatini is an absolute monarchy ruled jointly by King Mswati III and Queen Mother Ntfombi Tfwala, and right across the border you have South Africa which is a liberal democracy. you could find the same stark differences culturally. Eswatini is the only absolute monarchy left in Africa but wanting to be separate and different doesn't make them any less African. Africa is one of the most diverse places on Earth.

And to answer my own question, Politically and Culturally African refers to the politics and culture of Africans. If Wakanda is in Africa and their politics and culture weren't imported by Europeans, Asians etc, then their politics and culture are African.
    And I believe that is that. Couldn't have said it better. All I'm saying is it makes no sense to say Wakanda isn't Africa because they were isolationist.

Honestly this whole thing just boils down to people still being unable to view Africa as an extremely diverse place and not just one big land with the same kind of people who have all the same experiences and cultures. There's no one African culture, African politics and so on just to assume Wakanda is it's complete own entity.
    I have to take my hat off to brothers Blind Wedjat and Pumbaa for keeping it all the way real on this topic.

I've learnt alot from your posts and have throughly enjoyed reading your contributions.

Once again, thank you both.
    I agree with all of this. Well said everyone
    Black Panther vs Thor
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baO2V3qTuMc&t=3s
    Ref: Avengers Assemble Season 5: Black Panther Quest Ep13

This week is the one year anniversary of BP's solo movie debut. Time flies

We lit now
    Black Panther vs Thor

Here is the way to explain are Aborigines today Africans? More than likely your answer will be no, If you believe Africa to be birthplace of civilization and understand that Aborigines may have initially migrated from Africa to Asia then Australia you get where this is going.The argument splitting yourself off and developing independently away for years you will be completely different thing Wakanda even though Wakanda is Africa,It has been as separated as Aborigines in Australia. What doesn't make it work as well it should is that writers never care fleshed out Wakanda as realistic should it is far easier to make patchwork of African civilization than completely different entity. Based on how advance Wakanda and the separation means language, customs,entertainment, music,etc would have developed way differently from other parts of the continent .

Redjack is not saying they are not Africans by textbook definition they are Africans.You have seen in his posts him saying that what I believe he saying "Yeah even though you can call Africans by the textbook definition they have been separate so long and so vastly different from anything around they are better describe as just Wakandans". Now props to Stan Lee and Jack Kirby for creating this property but things that holding up this convo is really the fact that two white men create fantasy place in africa and not someone well versed Africa or developing civilizations for fiction. A more fleshed out creation would more uniquely have its own Gods, language,architecture and quirks of civilization and great sci fi and fantasy writers would have flesh that out more.

So here is the thing 10,000 years ago from Bashenga to when T'Challa open up Wakanda. Wakanda has been separate/isolated being their own thing. They have been as isolated as Aborigines. That is the fiction. What us fans are pointing to being African is well fictional writer not fleshing out the world more someone like GRR Martin (Valyrian) or Tolkien(Elves) would flesh out concept to where it does feel like anything else on earth. I am with Mind of Shadow weirdly both sides are right I don't think any is wrong for saying yeah by definition Wakanda is African especially when writers have filled it out with African flourishes but I don't think anyone is wrong to say Wakanda is really just Wakanda because from nearly Hyborian Age Marvel caveman age to pretty much the present,Wakanda has been separate entity from Africa in the fiction. I mean why would Wakanda have developed other African cultures stuff while being seperated?

Wakanda is African but Wakanda is Wakanda. Just my 2 cents
    Worded it better than me.

It would take a Tolkien like obsession and talent to create a true civilization isolated for 10K years and develop it from scratch. You aren't gonna get that in comics or any place other than large series based novels.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    This week is the one year anniversary of BP's solo movie debut. Time flies

We lit now
    We gonna be pissed in May when BP gets no shine in Endgame lol.

I mean, I won't be because I like all the MCU, but still, this thread gonna be mad.

So, what are we supposed to do now with no movie for 3 years... ???

What happens after Pantherjack season is over?

I'm starting to panic lol

BANNED

Here is the way to explain are Aborigines today Africans? More than likely your answer will be no, If you believe Africa to be birthplace of civilization and understand that Aborigines may have initially migrated from Africa to Asia then Australia you get where this is going.The argument splitting yourself off and developing independently away for years you will be completely different thing Wakanda even though Wakanda is Africa,It has been as separated as Aborigines in Australia. What doesn't make it work as well it should is that writers never care fleshed out Wakanda as realistic should it is far easier to make patchwork of African civilization than completely different entity. Based on how advance Wakanda and the separation means language, customs,entertainment, music,etc would have developed way differently from other parts of the continent .

Redjack is not saying they are not Africans by textbook definition they are Africans.You have seen in his posts him saying that what I believe he saying "Yeah even though you can call Africans by the textbook definition they have been separate so long and so vastly different from anything around they are better describe as just Wakandans". Now props to Stan Lee and Jack Kirby for creating this property but things that holding up this convo is really the fact that two white men create fantasy place in africa and not someone well versed Africa or developing civilizations for fiction. A more fleshed out creation would more uniquely have its own Gods, language,architecture and quirks of civilization and great sci fi and fantasy writers would have flesh that out more.

So here is the thing 10,000 years ago from Bashenga to when T'Challa open up Wakanda. Wakanda has been separate/isolated being their own thing. They have been as isolated as Aborigines. That is the fiction. What us fans are pointing to being African is well fictional writer not fleshing out the world more someone like GRR Martin (Valyrian) or Tolkien(Elves) would flesh out concept to where it does feel like anything else on earth. I am with Mind of Shadow weirdly both sides are right I don't think any is wrong for saying yeah by definition Wakanda is African especially when writers have filled it out with African flourishes but I don't think anyone is wrong to say Wakanda is really just Wakanda because from nearly Hyborian Age Marvel caveman age to pretty much the present,Wakanda has been separate entity from Africa in the fiction. I mean why would Wakanda have developed other African cultures stuff while being seperated?

Wakanda is African but Wakanda is Wakanda. Just my 2 cents
    Ghana is African but Ghana is Ghana.

Ghana is African but Ghana is Ghana.
    Nigeria is Africa but Nigeria is Nigeria. I'm on a war dog mission in America. You're on one in London. It's lit!
    Black Panther vs Thor

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    We gonna be pissed in May when BP gets no shine in Endgame lol.

I mean, I won't be because I like all the MCU, but still, this thread gonna be mad.

So, what are we supposed to do now with no movie for 3 years... ???

What happens after Pantherjack season is over?

I'm starting to panic lol
    Yeah, om kinda getting antsy of what's to come. I hope Disney brings on another season of BPQ. Keep this momentum going strong. It's been almost a year since the debut and we still see articles and talk about BP... Keep the hype going..

This guy needs to be a Wakandan

Or any other not-race-bent black superhero
    Black Panther vs Thor

Got BP award nominations transcending time. Jesse Holland nominated for a NAACP award for Who is the Black Panther. That novel came out in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Got BP award nominations transcending time. Jesse Holland nominated for a NAACP award for Who is the Black Panther. That novel came out in 2017.
    Dude BP be shining bright! It's lit for sure

I....did not anticipate my comment sparking this much discourse but im glad it did; this has been a very interesting read.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."