Page 711 of 744 FirstFirst ... 211611661701707708709710711712713714715721 ... LastLast
Results 10,651 to 10,665 of 11160
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Wakanda not doing anything (or not doing much/enough/whatever have you) during the enslavement and colonisation of Africa is not that big of a deal to me. I mean sure it obviously sucks for non Wakandans that their countries and people had to deal with these things. I also think it's a very valid accusation to throw their way. That's why Killmonger became such a notable villain, and why the film is so good to me. It brings up a difficult question that doesn't have an easy answer or solution, and Killmonger serves as a hard lesson for constantly relying on staunch traditions and isolationism (there are many things you can apply this lesson to which makes it more universal than people realise). I think it should remain part of who they are. Might be a hot take or whatever, but I didn't need the Hudlin fix. I understand why he did it, but I personally didn't like it. It felt like trying to give an easy answer to a difficult question and scenario so for me it just didn't have the weight. But of course no disrespect to Hudlin. I love his run of Black Panther.

I personally think that inaction should remain a part of Wakanda's history and legacy. Because again, it's not an easy thing to really answer. Who is to really say Wakanda could have freed the entire continent and the diaspora? Who is to say their neighbours would have wanted their help? How many lives--Wakandan and not--would have been lost in the process? How long would it have taken? At least how I see it is that the inaction makes for better storytelling if writers would just use it the right way.

What I don't like--and I've mentioned this here before--is Wakanda not doing anything to help anyone now, and the whole damn country (including T'Challa sometimes) being painted as xenophobic, isolationist stiffs. I personally think this image of Wakanda has run its course. It no longer sounds right to me. I want to see--really see--how Wakanda has changed the world. Like, I-Want-To-See-The-Receipts.gif see it. I'm so tired of Wakanda feeling like she hardly matters in the grand scheme of things in the MU. This is supposed to be a world superpower that appears out of nowhere, led by a very liberal king and nobody wants to tell a story about that? Seriously? Or is it that the only way this matters is why Wakanda decides to help the Avengers (who are not a good stand-in for "the world") and they get destroyed or invaded because of it?

I mean they really shouldn't be that xenophobic anymore. Their king actually never was involved with one of their own (which could be problematic but I digress). He married a US citizen, a mutant and was of Kenyan blood and no one had a problem with that. So I'm kinda tired of that angle being played out.
    But who's actually pushing that trope now?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Well to clarify, in The annual, it's said Wakanda could of won, or could of lost yes, but then also stated Wakanda had tech the the western powers could only dream of. Wakanda would of won, but they would of had to adopt a colonizer mindset because no one stood with them even other African nations, and infact other nations who didn't agree our were on bad terms actually started rallying against a common enemy. Which makes the whole argument that Wakanda should of stopped the slave trade all the more ridiculous because Hudlin explains what happened

Edit: relevant pages in the annual

Thanks for posting facts as opposed to assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Like I've said previously, you remain the undisputed King of subtle rebuttals that pack a lethal punch.

I only hope one day I can reach half the level of knowledge Digi posseses

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post

And Coates’ handling of the character and the correspondingly poor sales reflect poorly on black comic characters as a whole. If Marvel sees that their leading black character can’t hold a solo, unfortunately there’s gonna be the spread of this insidious notion that they’re better off not investing in other black characters. It’s disappointing across the board but the bright side is the current sales almost guarantee a relaunch with a new (and likely established) writer. I’d prefer Evan Narcisse or Saladin but Jason Aaron would bring that name recognition and direct Avengers plug to make him an undisputed leader in the MU. Time will tell but after the dropping the book a few months ago I can only hope that in the meantime someone is cooking up a plan to move forward from this run.
    Moon Girl set the standard for black females with her long run BEFORE she got a tv show or any merchandise.
    Miles Morales OWNING the teen market and an Oscar for Spiderverse and a New York Times best Seller and current series that keeps needing second to fourth printing.
    Riri Williams under the guide of Eve Ewing-lasted 12 issues without a big name in every issue (Batman & Outsiders) and showed way more respect to Wakanda than others. Not to mention took established folks and used them instead of making new ones.
    Shuri is now the owner of 4 trade volumes and at times beat Batman in digital sales on Amazon.

Marvel is not going to give up on investing on black characters. Not when many of them have done better than higher rated white ones and those at Distinguishing Competition.

Right now-despite the sales and story-where is the rush to change writers? Marvel does not fear Image, Vault or others. The black lead books they toss out does not hurt Black Panther trade sales. Only person doing that is Miles.

Only person who could probably force a change by beating Panther in sales and praise is that kid from Dakota. Because he is the ONLY black kid I saw white kids go NUTS over when he was added to Young Justice. Before Miles & Panther sniffed films.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Secret Invasion: Wakanda battles Skrull invaders, including Super Skrulls, & leaves them in shambles.

Now: Wakanda gets their butts kicked off-panel by a bunch of grunts and a second-rate Plant-Man.
    A bunch might be an exaggeration.

Like, 10 of them lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Like, 10 of them lol
    I swear Coates grunt's must be that Spartan level training. Few take on many and nearly being a powerful nation to it's knees.. I swear it's like scale isn't a thing in Coates series

Hell, at this point I say just throw the BP solo on Aaron's back. Look what he's been doing and continues to do with Thor. Strong enough in the Avengers and is crushing in his own solo. Aaron shows competence and imagination with the mythology of the character. Even while giving Thor challenges and struggles, he still is shown being a boss. What is so difficult about applying these concepts to our guy. I read a synopsis of material Coates has put into his galactic empire, and I can honestly say that a few of his ideas were awesome, then he procedes to execute horribly in incorporating creative ideas into the narrative. He is a bad comic writer. The ish is crazy, I'm here thinking about the potential of Wakandian tech merged with created super soldiers and what could look like. Instead I have observed uneven, flat writing.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Hell, at this point I say just throw the BP solo on Aaron's back. Look what he's been doing and continues to do with Thor. Strong enough in the Avengers and is crushing in his own solo. Aaron shows competence and imagination with the mythology of the character. Even while giving Thor challenges and struggles, he still is shown being a boss. What is so difficult about applying these concepts to our guy. I read a synopsis of material Coates has put into his galactic empire, and I can honestly say that a few of his ideas were awesome, then he procedes to execute horribly in incorporating creative ideas into the narrative. He is a bad comic writer. The ish is crazy, I'm here thinking about the potential of Wakandian tech merged with created super soldiers and what could look like. Instead I have observed uneven, flat writing.
    I feel a little differently about Aaron. He does seem to write black panther well, but I don't like the way he writes Thor. His run on thor to me like coates' BP, a deconstruction that went on far too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I feel a little differently about Aaron. He does seem to write black panther well, but I don't like the way he writes Thor. His run on thor to me like coates' BP, a deconstruction that went on far too long.
    While I feel your pain bro, I will still take Aaron over Coates any day just based on his skills in the comic realm. At this point Aaron has shown one basic and necessary competency that I needed to see from when he first started ...honor and respect the main character as the most important element in the whole narrative. Even this new arcs attempt at this is just, pedestrian.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Like, 10 of them lol
    That makes it sound worse. lmao
    "Cable was right!"

At the base concepts, Coates stories could of /should of been awesome, however, because he has such a warped abd negative view of Black people, particularly Black males and the constant need to tear down Wakanda into western grievance turned onto the rest of the World, it completely goes against the mythos establishments as well as the Characters. Alsk the dumbing down of T'Challa in physical prowess and intelligence, and relegating him to a sap who has yet to defeat a villain without help since all the back in Issue 2 in S1, continues without evidence of stopping until he is off the book. To the point we need a major palate cleanse fron the next writer (preferably Redjack) to set the Character back on course

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Agreed 100%.

I wouldn't have Aaron do BP's solo right now. He did a number on Thor ever since Original Sin and Thor not being worthy to hold Mjolnir.

Give me Redjack, Ewing or Narcisse.

I even like what Zub is doing with BP in AoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    At the base concepts, Coates stories could of /should of been awesome, however, because he has such a warped abd negative view of Black people, particularly Black males and the constant need to tear down Wakanda into western grievance turned onto the rest of the World, it completely goes against the mythos establishments as well as the Characters. Alsk the dumbing down of T'Challa in physical prowess and intelligence, and relegating him to a sap who has yet to defeat a villain without help since all the back in Issue 2 in S1, continues without evidence of stopping until he is off the book. To the point we need a major palate cleanse fron the next writer (preferably Redjack) to set the Character back on course
    Exactly, all of what you said is just the plain truth of the damn thing! Good point about Redjack, but he doesn't even seem to be on their radar to do anything BP related per his own words. On that note, do we know for sure that during the "pause" is Marvel bringing back Coates, or are we truly getting another writer?