Page 637 of 706 FirstFirst ... 137537587627633634635636637638639640641647687 ... LastLast
Results 9,541 to 9,555 of 10576
  1. #9541
    CBB 4 LIFE Mr MajestiK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Don't forget, ignoring continuity... Even his own
    Ouchies! Lol!
    Enjoying the camraderie of friends and family is all that matters in the world.

    Mr MajestiK took a short hiatus and the Chaos Bringer was reborn.

  2. #9542
    Invincible Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28,381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    The system isn't an issue when in panel its been explained thst he doesn't take advantage of it, and never has and never will, ontop of it being a way to keep tribes from fighting
    The fact that he doesn't take advantage of it doesn't mean he should be able to if he feels like it. It shouldn't exist at all, regardless of whether or not he decides to take advantage of it. If a system was in place in the US where a single president would be allowed to marry any intern in a white house he wanted, that would be wrong even if no president decided to take advantage of it, because it shouldn't exist in the first place. Now it's flat out gone... which is better than simply being ignored.

  3. #9543
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    The fact that he doesn't take advantage of it doesn't mean he should be able to if he feels like it. It shouldn't exist at all, regardless of whether or not he decides to take advantage of it. If a system was in place in the US where a single president would be allowed to marry any intern in a white house he wanted, that would be wrong even if no president decided to take advantage of it, because it shouldn't exist in the first place. Now it's flat out gone... which is better than simply being ignored.
    I agree its wrong, and honestly that's why I liked it under Priest. It was an old tradition that they'd left behind, and that to me made Wakanda more 'real' as a culture. No past is perfect, after all.

    Priest never played down the unfortunate implications, either. Monica gave him side eye for the two, and Okoye and Nakia were the only two people in the world who could actually complain about being 'friend zoned'. When Nakia went Malice, Okoye and T'Challa did talk about the position she was put in. In his run, there were only 3 Dora.

    The problem is that later writers brought us Dora en-mass and refuse to address the unfortunate implications. What was once only 3 characters, were now an army of red shirts.

    I don't understand why they killed Nakia yet still haven't addressed the underlining issue. and someone who isn't Coates really should.

  4. #9544
    Invincible Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28,381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I agree its wrong, and honestly that's why I liked it under Priest. It was an old tradition that they'd left behind, and that to me made Wakanda more 'real' as a culture. No past is perfect, after all.

    Priest never played down the unfortunate implications, either. Monica gave him side eye for the two, and Okoye and Nakia were the only two people in the world who could actually complain about being 'friend zoned'. When Nakia went Malice, Okoye and T'Challa did talk about the position she was put in. In his run, there were only 3 Dora.

    The problem is that later writers brought us Dora en-mass and refuse to address the unfortunate implications. What was once only 3 characters, were now an army of red shirts.

    I don't understand why they killed Nakia yet still haven't addressed the underlining issue. and someone who isn't Coates really should.
    I assume (perhaps wrongly... there's no one panel evidence of this to my knowledge) that they retconned things so that the Doras are no longer a recent thing and they've always had a bunch of Doras operating all along. Otherwise, it's just sort of weird that we've suddenly got an army of them at varying ages.

    The Dora army was a retcon, and honestly an unecessary one. I do get the appeal of having a sort of amazon army of warrior women... the MCU apparently see's it too since they made it into the BP movies. But as vsually cool as it was, it didn't quite make sense.

    As for not addressing it... I think killing off Nakia and having the Doras break away from the direct authority of the throne basically means they don't have to address it anymore. It's still there in the background unfortunately... but for the most part it's moot since the entire system is basically gone. I think the reason he's not addressed is simply because they're rather not give it any spotlight or panel time and would rather simply move on from it (not that I agree with it mind you).

  5. #9545
    Astonishing Member Cville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    4,143

    Default

    Mike Kelly Art



  6. #9546
    Extraordinary Member Ezyo1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    7,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    The fact that he doesn't take advantage of it doesn't mean he should be able to if he feels like it. It shouldn't exist at all, regardless of whether or not he decides to take advantage of it. If a system was in place in the US where a single president would be allowed to marry any intern in a white house he wanted, that would be wrong even if no president decided to take advantage of it, because it shouldn't exist in the first place. Now it's flat out gone... which is better than simply being ignored.
    It was shone in the past that no Black Panther to date has taken advantage of it, abd they wouldn't do it because then one tribe would have more favor over another and so to keep them all on even levels. And it's not that the Dora system allows T'Challa to karrynany woman he wants likr hes picking out fruit. Coates version is actually just dumb because he had to fabricate issues thst didn't exist and actually got rid of a very unique unit that has bow disappeared down to just Okoye. An easier way? T'Challa announces to Wakanda "Hey so the Dora Milaje are supposed to be guards of the king and wives in training, the wives in training aspect is an outdated custom and has never been used so we are going to rid that part of it turns a powerful unit into a potential liability, so now they are the protectors of the Royal family" simple. It was already the case anyways

  7. #9547
    Invincible Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28,381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    It was shone in the past that no Black Panther to date has taken advantage of it, abd they wouldn't do it because then one tribe would have more favor over another and so to keep them all on even levels. And it's not that the Dora system allows T'Challa to karrynany woman he wants likr hes picking out fruit. Coates version is actually just dumb because he had to fabricate issues thst didn't exist and actually got rid of a very unique unit that has bow disappeared down to just Okoye. An easier way? T'Challa announces to Wakanda "Hey so the Dora Milaje are supposed to be guards of the king and wives in training, the wives in training aspect is an outdated custom and has never been used so we are going to rid that part of it turns a powerful unit into a potential liability, so now they are the protectors of the Royal family" simple. It was already the case anyways
    The problem with having T'Challa decide to end the system, is that he or any preceeding BP can simply bring it back anytime he feels like it. Again, we saw that in Worlds Apart.

    Having the Doras break the wheel and gain their independence ensures that the whole thing ends permanently. The Doras still exist... they just serve the people rather acting as body guards to a king who frankly doesn't need body guards.

  8. #9548
    Extraordinary Member Ezyo1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    7,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    The problem with having T'Challa decide to end the system, is that he or any preceeding BP can simply bring it back anytime he feels like it. Again, we saw that in Worlds Apart.

    Having the Doras break the wheel and gain their independence ensures that the whole thing ends permanently. The Doras still exist... they just serve the people rather acting as body guards to a king who frankly doesn't need body guards.
    World's apart is not a BP writer bringing it back. It's an x writer using it to throw shade on Wakanda. And how Coates did it was stupid. Straight up. He forced drama abd issues, rerconned in dysfunction abd then had everyone act ooc to "break the wheel"

    The MCU has no issues portraying the DM in a manner that works and could of easily been applied to the MU. Coates version essentially wiped out the order. Now it's just Okoye, the rest of the order has drifting off to Limbo land, and for what? So Coates can pay himself on the back saying that he "fixed" it? And even if T'Challa is superhuman having body guards like the DM I a helpful asset, of course he doesn't need them. Hell he doesn't need to do anything when he had DM, HZ, and the nost advanced tech on earth at his disposal. But it's called Black Panther. Not World of Wakanda

  9. #9549
    CBB 4 LIFE Mr MajestiK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    The problem with having T'Challa decide to end the system, is that he or any preceeding BP can simply bring it back anytime he feels like it. Again, we saw that in Worlds Apart.

    Having the Doras break the wheel and gain their independence ensures that the whole thing ends permanently. The Doras still exist... they just serve the people rather acting as body guards to a king who frankly doesn't need body guards.
    You might as well say that Presidents and world leaders do not need to have bodyguards.
    Enjoying the camraderie of friends and family is all that matters in the world.

    Mr MajestiK took a short hiatus and the Chaos Bringer was reborn.

  10. #9550
    Be Seeing You… DigiCom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Having the Doras break the wheel and gain their independence ensures that the whole thing ends permanently. The Doras still exist... they just serve the people rather acting as body guards to a king who frankly doesn't need body guards.
    All the DM have done to "serve the people" is kill the leader of the Jabari (without the benefit of a trial, I might add), take over his lands, and come running to the "one man" they so decried when they actually had issues defending said lands. They've gone from being analogs of the Dahomey Amazons to the Wakanan equivalent of a '60s commune.

  11. #9551
    CBB 4 LIFE Mr MajestiK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    All the DM have done to "serve the people" is kill the leader of the Jabari (without the benefit of a trial, I might add), take over his lands, and come running to the "one man" they so decried when they actually had issues defending said lands. They've gone from being analogs of the Dahomey Amazons to the Wakanan equivalent of a '60s commune.
    As always, reading your well thought,breasonablend factually accurate rebuttals, remains one of my greatest pleasures in this forum.

    Thank you for keeping it logical, humourous and above all, factual at all times.
    Last edited by Mr MajestiK; 11-10-2019 at 12:33 PM.
    Enjoying the camraderie of friends and family is all that matters in the world.

    Mr MajestiK took a short hiatus and the Chaos Bringer was reborn.

  12. #9552
    CBB 4 LIFE Mr MajestiK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    The fact that he doesn't take advantage of it doesn't mean he should be able to if he feels like it. It shouldn't exist at all, regardless of whether or not he decides to take advantage of it. If a system was in place in the US where a single president would be allowed to marry any intern in a white house he wanted, that would be wrong even if no president decided to take advantage of it, because it shouldn't exist in the first place. Now it's flat out gone... which is better than simply being ignored.
    I find the fact that some individuals find it acceptable to arbitrarily decide what is appropriate in someone else's culture, somewhat irksome and to be quite frank, condescending to say the least.

    Western ideals aren't and shouldn't be the global default setting for the simple fact, that other cultural idelogies are important and relevant to the people that subscribe to them within their respective countries.
    Enjoying the camraderie of friends and family is all that matters in the world.

    Mr MajestiK took a short hiatus and the Chaos Bringer was reborn.

  13. #9553
    Be Seeing You… DigiCom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    The fact that he doesn't take advantage of it doesn't mean he should be able to if he feels like it. It shouldn't exist at all, regardless of whether or not he decides to take advantage of it. If a system was in place in the US where a single president would be allowed to marry any intern in a white house he wanted, that would be wrong even if no president decided to take advantage of it, because it shouldn't exist in the first place. Now it's flat out gone... which is better than simply being ignored.
    This is true. American presidents don't MARRY their interns…

  14. #9554
    Be Seeing You… DigiCom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Excellent post from one of the best BP mythos historians posting in this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    As always,breading your well thought,breasonablend factually accurate rebuttals, remains one of my greatest pleasures in this forum.

    Thank you for keeping it logical, humourous and above all, factual at all times.
    You flatter me. I'm nobody special... just a guy who knows stuff.

  15. #9555
    Extraordinary Member Ezyo1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    7,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    This is true. American presidents don't MARRY their interns…


    Plus the other difference is the DM are well respected by the king, Royal family, Wakandan council and people, have a level of authority, and are deadly warriors in their own right.. not even comparable to an intern who are generally just errand runner's and pack mules for things other people don't want to do.

    And America is full of dumb laws. Hell in the State o live in, it is illegal for women to open their husbands mail, AND it's illegal for women to go fishing on a boat by themselves on Sundays.. These are old laws that no one pay mind to. So j wouldn't expect some writer to come In And Make a huge thing about these laws being abolished filled with contrived conflict
    Last edited by Ezyo1000; 11-10-2019 at 09:26 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •