Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
I'd argue that there's a fundamental difference between talking sh*t just to get under T'Challa's skin, and the racist, colonialist mindset that Doom's been written as having when engaging with T'Challa in several stories. If we ever got a matchup between them I think there's lost story potential in leaving Doctor Doom to be a simple megalomaniac who likes to call T'Challa mean things as opposed to exploring the racial dynamic in a way that enhances T'Challa's narrative and perpetuates key themes for the franchise.

While it's always important to display the villain as a legit threat, as there should always be a moment in fiction where all hope does look lost for the hero, when exploring the psyche of the enemy Doom seems more interesting in a BP movie when he feels entitled to Wakandan resources and genuinely feels a sense of superiority over people of African descent. It's an angle that's been supported throughout the years in the comics and one that creates an even more powerful contrast between the villain and hero.

And while I can appreciate your open-mindedness to seeing Doom depicted like he has been in those panels, I can't exactly say the comic community would react well to it, which would end up taking away from the overall story because that would end up dominating the conversation. As a BP fan I see it as not worth the trouble (even though it would be done well) when as we've discussed before, Coogler and company can repurpose and update his old rogues (as they've done amazingly with Killmonger and M'Baku) while still maintaining small cameos as other movies have. Doom is a damaged brand imo and with the affinity many fans have for him, a portrayal that deviates from what they expect and have been waiting for only invites the type of controversy that takes away from BP characters.
There should be little problem in a properly written Doom feeling entitled or superior to Wakanda, since a properly written Doom feels superior and entitled to everyone. As I said, he'd feel that way for Carol or Steve too. That's just Doom (or at least the comic Doom... we'll have to wait and see what MCU Doom is like if he ever shows up).

Obviously we're just speaking hypothetically and I don't know how Doom would be used or what sort of response the community might have. All I can say is given what we've seen, I'm willing to give Coogler the benefit of the doubt until he gives me reason not to. IF he chooses to use the character (and again for the record I'm not expecting at the moment), I believe he'll use the character well for the benefit of BOTH BP and Doom.