Page 19 of 744 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119519 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gessela View Post
    Science and the supernatural can be made indistinguishable in the right writer’s hands. Interdimensional contact and quantum mechanics are a start.
    And that's also where Jericho being a doctor potentially comes into play (depending on what kind of doctor he is). It's not hard at all to blur the lines in the MCU.

It might be less "authentic" as far as voodoo goes... but if you make it a sci fi science and steer away from calling it voodoo to a large extent, you probably won't have to worry about coming off offensive or stereotypical.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    In the MCU, science and magic are blurred into "cosmic" at the high-end. That's pretty much the implication with things like the gems, and Dwarf forging, that past a certain point there is no science and magic, only cosmic.
    Yeah, when you reach the absolute top of the ladder the concepts of magic, science, and cosmic all sort of become indestinguishable. Lower end magical beings like say a vampire or whatever don't really translate to anything cosmic or scientific, but a high end mystical being is pretty much the same thing as a high end cosmic being. It all means the same thing after a certain point.

Maybe it's all the same thing on the lower end of the spectrum too, and we just classify things differntly for convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Eden is arguably the best teleporter in comics (him, MAC or Magik). He is functionally one of the most useful heroes to have. SOMEONE should want this guy around. If not the Avengers (I liked him on that team personally), then it's cool that BP recognizes Eden as the asset he is.
    Except he is completely redundant and I. BPs case, took feats away and made one of his power sets completely worthless because he needed Eden to pull it off. Honestly, a book like Coates Crew would be better for Eden as he could be a real MVP, but Wakanda were they have tech that can take T'Challa all the way across the universe and park in Galactus ship? Useless extra that does more harm then good

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    The outcome of which we have been waiting for since BP vol 4.
    Pantherjack by late round stoppage. 11th round tko; Victor's mom gon throw in the towel
    Black Panther vs Thor
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baO2V3qTuMc&t=3s
    Ref: Avengers Assemble Season 5: Black Panther Quest Ep13

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    And that's also where Jericho being a doctor potentially comes into play (depending on what kind of doctor he is). It's not hard at all to blur the lines in the MCU.

It might be less "authentic" as far as voodoo goes... but if you make it a sci fi science and steer away from calling it voodoo to a large extent, you probably won't have to worry about coming off offensive or stereotypical.
    Make him a cultural anthropologist that goes out and lives in various cultures, which is where he becomes familiar with various types of magic.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    In the MCU, science and magic are blurred into "cosmic" at the high-end. That's pretty much the implication with things like the gems, and Dwarf forging, that past a certain point there is no science and magic, only cosmic.
    So go the other way with Voodoo. Make his magic very elemental, religion, and nature based. We know there is a spirit plane based on Black Panther, which seems disassociated from the Quantum Realm from Ant-Man and Dr. Strange.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Except he is completely redundant and I. BPs case, took feats away and made one of his power sets completely worthless because he needed Eden to pull it off. Honestly, a book like Coates Crew would be better for Eden as he could be a real MVP, but Wakanda were they have tech that can take T'Challa all the way across the universe and park in Galactus ship? Useless extra that does more harm then good
    Certainly a character like Eden works better in a team setting than in a solo book. You're never going to be MVP in another characters book.

That said, even in Ultimates where T'Challa teleported to Galactus ship (using what appeared to be shadow physics teleportation though it wasnt' labeled as such), most of the time he relied on MAC. T'Challa can do it by himself in a pinch, but teleporters like Mac and Eden are easier and more versatile.

But you can argue that using another character potentially takes feats away from T'Challa. I sort of mentioned that when the issue of Voodoo was brought up. A lot of things T'Challa can potentially accomplsih with tech Voodoo can potentiall accomplish with magic. And unlike Eden, who specializes in just one thing, Jericho can pretty much do stuff across the board. So adding characters who are potential plot devices can be tricky in that regard... which isn't to say they shouldn't be used if they're cool. But it's something to think about.

More than anything though, I think it's just a matter of writers using characters they like. If they like Eden or Jericho, they'll use them. For C list characters otherwise in limbo, that sort of thing essentially becomes their life boat.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I'd love to see Voodoo in the MCU. The only problem is the potential for some people to be offended by his powerset. His depiction of voodoo (the popular Western version of it anyway) I've read can be seen as offensives to vodou priests and priestess because it demonises it and turns into witchcraft when it's really not that. That's the possible reaction to it. It's also possible Derrickson might try to change a few things here and there since he tried to do a whole lot of that in the first DS movie.

My advice would be to have Jericho Drumm be a sorcerer that practices a different branch of the mystic arts that's darker or just different. And say Jericho and Daniel chose to practice different forms and Jericho now lives in New Orleans. He is a known sorcerer to his community, but they dub him as a voodoo practitioner because he's black and they obviously don't understand his magic.

That, or they just roll with it and hope it's not a big deal.
    I think that's worse. He's Vodou priest. Let him stay that, just be respectful. Associating magic with a religion is not inherently disrespectful. It is only disrespectful and problematic in the case of Vodou because of it's demonization due to white supremacist rhetoric. It's association to devils and evil is pure white supremacist Christian rhetoric. Show a faithful view of Vodou and mix it with magic. No problem. We see "Christian" magic/fictional power all of the time and its not necessarily a bad thing.

I want full, unapologetic, voodoo Dr. Voodoo.

I want the name, the cap, the bones, the hair, the accent

Let the evangelist get up in arms about it. Good. they hate harry potter too and that did just dandy

I also want a Pantherjack, Voodoojack, Bladejack team up in the cartoon asap
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Let the evangelist get up in arms about it. Good. they hate harry potter too and that did just dandy

and BMJack lol

Quote Originally Posted by Yaw View Post
    I think that's worse. He's Vodou priest. Let him stay that, just be respectful. Associating magic with a religion is not inherently disrespectful. It is only disrespectful and problematic in the case of Vodou because of it's demonization due to white supremacist rhetoric. It's association to devils and evil is pure white supremacist Christian rhetoric. Show a faithful view of Vodou and mix it with magic. No problem. We see "Christian" magic/fictional power all of the time and its not necessarily a bad thing.
    But the stuff he does isn't really part of Vodou, so I'm fine with him as a character being someone who practices real world vodou. The magic he does it way outside of that realm. I'd want to show that his magic is separate from his actual belief system, and have him use the title Dr. Voodoo as sort of a branding thing, or have him be an investigator and the police sort of mockingly call him "Doctor Voodoo".

And then he shows up and stops the Great Old ones with ritual magic he learned in his travels.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 01-08-2019 at 02:19 PM.
    Pull List:

Agreed. %100

The hell with these "offended" religious groups that will make up 2% of the demographic (all in Utah) but will act like them and their 10 followers are on the cusp of a full on Christian/Muslim/Buddist war against a fictional character with a skull necklace.
    Black Panther vs Thor

I have a Jericho Drumm pitch in at MARVEL right now. fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    I have a Jericho Drumm pitch in at MARVEL right now. fingers crossed.
    Anything we can do to help?
    Black Panther vs Thor

I go on one vacations out of the country and I thought this thread had died after the first. lol

But I agree with MoS. If anything a Voodoo movie should go even further than what the comic side is willing to do. I'd want a movie to go from New Orleans to Haiti to West Africa. Bring Baron Samedi, Papa Legba and the crew with all the iconography that goes with it.

I might have missed it, but I don't remember any complaints about "The Skeleton Key", Princess and the Frog, or even "Live and let Die"