Page 8 of 744 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108508 ... LastLast

Happy Birthday to...

Get Hectic!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Nah, if anything the box office of bp1 one proved that we really don’t need to rely that much on China. Hell, the rest of the world was on board and that’s what truly mattered in the end.
    Eh, the Box Office was carried by an absolutely ridiculous 700mil in the States.

That is going to be hard to replicate. Which isn't a knock against BP at all, it's just that number is so damn big lol. BP became an "event" film similar to the first Avengers. It is hard to replicate that kind of hype.

China offers the easiest path to keeping the WW number up over a billion even if the other markets depress just slightly. BP did solid there when it exploded elsewhere.

And when crappier super hero movies like Aquaman (ok i can see it kinda) and Venom (wtf??) blow up like they did in China... how does BP get some of that shine?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Eh, the Box Office was carried by an absolutely ridiculous 700mil in the States.

That is going to be hard to replicate. Which isn't a knock against BP at all, it's just that number is so damn big lol. BP became an "event" film similar to the first Avengers. It is hard to replicate that kind of hype.

China offers the easiest path to keeping the WW number up over a billion even if the other markets depress just slightly. BP did solid there when it exploded elsewhere.

And when crappier super hero movies like Aquaman (ok i can see it kinda) and Venom (wtf??) blow up like they did in China... how does BP get some of that shine?
    What was "crappy" about Aquaman?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    What was "crappy" about Aquaman?
    I said "crappier" (while talking about Black Panther). I personally feel that way and by every metric we have, it wasn't in BP's class as a movie.

But, It was worth my 15 bucks and i'll likely buy it on blu ray

But, the villain was thin, amber heard can't act, that one reveal was impossible, that kiss was scifi channel like, and other issues.

But positives were worth it (that trench chase was epic for instance).

now venom....
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Say, where is Senator Kamal Rakim?

He seems to have totally disappeared.

Was he replaced in the 2016 election? It's kind of a fascinating sidebar-story as to how this profoundly Afrocentric fellow got elected to the national Senate.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

What timeline issues? With Panther's Rage or Rise?

It doesn't seem to fit much with Rise at all....
    Panther's Rage. Specifically related to Bullseye, though. The Black Panther stuff seems fine, although I've said my recollection of Rise could be better. Daredevil and Black Panther first met around Daredevil 50 or so while T'Challa was in the Avengers and shortly before he met Monica Lynne. Bullseye first appeared around Daredevil 135 or so and wasn't hired by the Kingpin until Daredevil 172. He shouldn't be working for the Kingpin this early. I want to also say that Black Widow shouldn't be working for SHIELD and shouldn't be wearing that costume yet since I want to say she got it in a Spider-Man issue or her Amazing Adventures series that can be lined up to around the same time as the Kree/Skrull War, but that requires a better knowledge of early Iron Man than I have.

So Panther's Rage itself works fine with this. It's just that the rest of where the Black Panther was and everyone else was doesn't quite fit.

ETA: Monica Lynne appeared in Avengers 73 and Black Widow had her old costume in Avengers 76. However, she did join SHIELD way back in 38 so, while it's a tight squeeze, it's possible Black Widow can work provided N'Jadaka didn't meet T'Challa and get transportation back to Wakanda until after Avengers 76. I think we have until the Avengers mid-120s before Panther's Rage has to happen.
    Last edited by Mike_Murdock; 01-03-2019 at 02:46 PM.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Aquaman: "Put some respeck' on my name!"

Mera: "I'm pulling up on you Wakandans!"

Black Panther: "Are yaw finished or yaw done!"

Get Hectic!

I don't think there's a magical formula for winning over the chinesse audience. It's sort of random which movies make super hero movies blow up over there and which don't (though I suppose to a degree you can say the same for movies here).

Really, I think the safer bet is to try and recapture as much of the 700mil they got stateside. It may not be something you can replicate, as the first time it happened it was completely organic. But studios can take twice as much of the domenstic box office gross as the chinesse box office gross, so a dollar here means more than a dollar there anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Happy B-Day dude!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Happy b-day my dude. On the flip side I have been growing my beard out much longer then I usually do, gotta keep my face warm for these cold winter's up here!
    Quote Originally Posted by FLEX HECTIC View Post
    Happy Birthday to...

Thank you my brothers!

And I'll get my Wakandan beard game like yalls soon enough!
    Black Panther vs Thor
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baO2V3qTuMc&t=3s
    Ref: Avengers Assemble Season 5: Black Panther Quest Ep13

Default Re:Aquaman

Tencent is a Chinese multinational investment holding conglomerate

Rumble: aka fancy way of saying they own shares and stocks of other companies and have a shitload of internet-related services and products, entertainment, AI tech... blahblah blah... And they also do marketing.

Why is this important? Well because they rolled out a heavy digital marketing campaign for Venom in China (i.e. all that Venom is good boyfriend/weird anime ****). The end result? Venom did 270 million in China. Note that Tencent had a 25% stake in the Venom movie.

Here are the other movies that Tencent has stake in, distributed, and/or did marketing campaigns for in China, and the resulting Chinese box office:

It was reported in November that Tencent will be partnering up with DCEU to locally distribute Aquaman.

Aquaman - 261 million in China (to date)

Let's see what Bumblebee does in China this weekend (opens tomorrow)...
    Black Panther vs Thor

Ultimate Member

So, for BP to get that China money, do we have to have a bunch of explosions and monsters in the third act? giant mechs? Is it time to bust out Panther Mech Transformers that fight giant monsters in the back ground?

Or is it impossible for BP to get that china mega money because, well..... yeah

Only way we matching that box office for BP1 is improvement overseas aka China
    How about ignore China? As they get used as a weapon by Unfans to EXCLUDE folks who happen to look like Panther and his people.

Remember they choose NOT to air a Rock movie called Central Intelligence and the Rock KILLS in China's box office. Wonder why? Oh yeah KEVIN HART.
    The same Kevin Hart whose movies are HITS without China unlike Adam Sandler & Ben Stiller.

Funny China has an issue with live action black males but not the animated ones as Spiderverse is proving.

BP2 making a billion is not important to me. BP1 made its POINT to everyone. It's up to everyone else to get the message.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Why does this thread have so much Aquaman discussion?
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Everyone is waiting for the next Redjack episode?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    How about ignore China? As they get used as a weapon by Unfans to EXCLUDE folks who happen to look like Panther and his people.

Remember they choose NOT to air a Rock movie called Central Intelligence and the Rock KILLS in China's box office. Wonder why? Oh yeah KEVIN HART.
    The same Kevin Hart whose movies are HITS without China unlike Adam Sandler & Ben Stiller.

Funny China has an issue with live action black males but not the animated ones as Spiderverse is proving.

BP2 making a billion is not important to me. BP1 made its POINT to everyone. It's up to everyone else to get the message.
    Wrong mentality. Unfans will use anything against BP.

Racist backwards black people-hating China (or whatever) still delivered 105 million of their spiteful dollars to Black Panther... which was more than GotG2 (100mill) and ballpark range of Ragnorak (112m) and Homecoming (116m). None of these movies have a Chinese multinational investment holding conglomerate doing local distributions or heavy digital marketing campaigns for these films either, btw.

Side note: As recent as 2016, Kobe Bryant was the most popular athlete in China, with the best selling sports jersey in that country for 5 consecutive years and 110 million chinese ppl having watched Kobe's final NBA game on a certain Chinese multinational investment holding conglomerate's platform that broadcasts NBA games.

Conversely, crazy Rich Asians completely bombed in China. Not enough evidence for a definitive response but a potential takeaway of these several factors is that the Chinese aren't moved by what Americans consider barrier-breaking hoopla films of cultural significance, and will opt with big explosive action, set pieces, and slam dunks (figuratively and literally).

I'm not saying China isn't racist backwards black people-hating (or whatever), but i think it'd be easy work netting 110-180 million of their potentially spiteful racist dollars. Just like all the other countries that may or may not hate black people but will spend money to buy the paraphernalia of a black athlete or a black king from Wakanda.
    Black Panther vs Thor

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Because Aquaman is fucking awesome.

I didn't watch the movie nor read his comics tho

I like Aqualad tho. The black one, with the Rodman hair, on the cartoon show, specifically
    Black Panther vs Thor