Page 653 of 744 FirstFirst ... 153553603643649650651652653654655656657663703 ... LastLast
Results 9,781 to 9,795 of 11160
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I wouldn't go that far, but the team is lacking There is no theme behind any of the members, and most of them seem to have been selected because they are faves of Jason Aaron (Broo, Gorilla Man, Fat Cobra, American Eagle, Dr. Nemesis)
    AoW having Dr Nemesis as one of its members, automatically disqualifies the book as far as I'm concerned.

It's looking like some of these writers are just thematically bereft of sense when they make most, if not all of the "creative" decisions they come up with.

In contrast, look at what David Liss achieved when he penned his take on BP.

I initially hated the very concept of T'Challa relocating to New York in the aftermath of Doomwar but in due course, Liss's masterful weaving of an intricate tale that has a depowered T'Challa running rings around his opponents and creating tech on the fly, won myself and other enthusiasts over.

The fact that David Liss positively engaged with fans within the BP appreciation threads was an added bonus that endeared him to many of us here.

For all intents and purposes, it was pretty clear that David Liss appreciated the BP mythos and enthusiasts alike and this was clearly illustrated in the way in which he had T'Challa front and center within his own solo book irrespective of how many guest characters were featured within its pages.

Contrast Liss's masterclass writing of T'Challa's world against Coates disasterpiece thematic nuking if the BP mythos and then tell me how Coates is doing anything of worth with T'Challa.

After all is said and done, Coates wilful derailment of the BP mythos will continue to infect other books featuring T'Challa incrementally until the same mischaracterisation becomes normalised MU/MCU wide.

When that happens, BP enthusiasts who sat back and endorsed this trainwreck by continuing to support this travesty, will have no one to blame than themselves.
    Last edited by Mr MajestiK; 11-18-2019 at 06:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    That doesn't last past issue 2, when thee are no meaningful foils, mission profiles or what have you.

Saving the world because they save the world is boring. Comics have been doing that for decades. It's stale. Only the Avengers/Justice League can pull it off. Direction shouldn't be that much to ask
    There's certainly nothing ground breaking about it.

It's just a fun little super hero book with a lot of lesser known characters. It's not breaking into the Diamond top 10 or getting nominated for Eisners anytime soon, and I doubt anyone is expecting it too. It's solid... but if someone is expecting more then yeah, this book isn't going to blow you away.

As far as the specific issue of direction... more than anything Aarons Avengers book is defining the direction for the team and the characters. This book is just sort of piggy backing on that and giving them some extra panel time they obviously aren't getting in Avengers. Again, I don't expect anything game changing here. Though they're handing the book pretty well thus far as far as short 2 and done stories. Which is kind of a nice change of pace from the longer more drawn out stuff we're getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    AoW having Dr Nemesis as one of its members, automatically disqualifies the book as far as I'm concerned.

It's looking like some of these writers are just thematically bereft of sense when they make most, if not all of the "creative" decisions they come up with.

In contrast, look at what David Liss achieved when he penned his take on BP.

I initially hated the very concept of T'Challa relocating to New York in the aftermath of Doomwar but in due course, Liss's masterful weaving of an intricate tale that has a depowered T'Challa running rings around his opponents and creating tech on the fly, won myself and other enthusiasts over.

The fact that David Liss positively engaged with fans within the BP appreciation threads was an added bonus that endeared him to many of us here.

For all intents and purposes, it was pretty clear that David Liss appreciated the BP mythos and enthusiasts alike and this was clearly illustrated in the way in which he had T'Challa front and center within his own solo book irrespective of how many guest characters were featured within its pages.

Contrast Liss's masterclass writing of T'Challa's world against Coates disasterpiece thematic nuking if the BP mythos and then tell me how Coates is doing anything of worth with T'Challa.

After all is said and done, Coates wilful derailment of the BP mythos will continue to infect other books featuring T'Challa incrementally until the same mischaracterisation becomes normalised MU/MCU wide.

When that happens, BP enthusiasts who sat back and endorsed this trainwreck by continuing to support this travesty, will have no one to blame than themselves.
    Truth to literally the whole damn post! More to your point, we have seen what good writers can do for characters when Marvel is being deliberate. In Aaron's hands we've seen Thor go from being a big, meatheads, punchy guy that will often fall in line with what a mortal Captain America tells him. Now this dude has undergone long term build up to be a king of gods, with all the agency of a leader in his own right, possessing depth and purpose. Complete with autonomy to follow things that align with his own agenda and turn down things that don't even as he operates within a group setting. Black Panther is a man that deserves this no matter what book he is featured in. I hate to say it but T'challa parallels Batman in this sense, his very presence holds much weight especially in team books. You almost see how his shadow falls on everything and everyone. It's just how the character is, and it's unique. Black was meant to be this type more so than Captain America. Some writers just lack the vision, conviction and maybe ability to do it!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    There's certainly nothing ground breaking about it.

It's just a fun little super hero book with a lot of lesser known characters. It's not breaking into the Diamond top 10 or getting nominated for Eisners anytime soon, and I doubt anyone is expecting it too. It's solid... but if someone is expecting more then yeah, this book isn't going to blow you away.

As far as the specific issue of direction... more than anything Aarons Avengers book is defining the direction for the team and the characters. This book is just sort of piggy backing on that and giving them some extra panel time they obviously aren't getting in Avengers. Again, I don't expect anything game changing here. Though they're handing the book pretty well thus far as far as short 2 and done stories. Which is kind of a nice change of pace from the longer more drawn out stuff we're getting.
    The problem is though, is that most of them are hardly lesser known characters, at least for Aaron. He uses them all the time

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Truth to literally the whole damn post! More to your point, we have seen what good writers can do for characters when Marvel is being deliberate. In Aaron's hands we've seen Thor go from being a big, meatheads, punchy guy that will often fall in line with what a mortal Captain America tells him. Now this dude has undergone long term build up to be a king of gods, with all the agency of a leader in his own right, possessing depth and purpose. Complete with autonomy to follow things that align with his own agenda and turn down things that don't even as he operates within a group setting. Black Panther is a man that deserves this no matter what book he is featured in. I hate to say it but T'challa parallels Batman in this sense, his very presence holds much weight especially in team books. You almost see how his shadow falls on everything and everyone. It's just how the character is, and it's unique. Black was meant to be this type more so than Captain America. Some writers just lack the vision, conviction and maybe ability to do it!
    Thisnis again, why I think Redjack should of gotten a the gig, and wh im hopeful marvel will consider hin after Coates is gone

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    In Aaron's hands we've seen Thor go from being a big, meatheads, punchy guy that will often fall in line with what a mortal Captain America tells him. Now this dude has undergone long term build up to be a king of gods, with all the agency of a leader in his own right, possessing depth and purpose. Complete with autonomy to follow things that align with his own agenda and turn down things that don't even as he operates within a group setting.
    The biggest problem with that is that anyone who has read Thor for more than 5 years would know that the "big, meatheads, punchy" characterization is highly OOC, on par with "Happy Pants" Panther. Aaron's run spent years tearing Thor down just so that he could build up Thor back to the way he started.

Which, admittedly, puts him above Coates, who has spent years tearing down T'Challa, and hasn't built him up at all.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    The biggest problem with that is that anyone who has read Thor for more than 5 years would know that the "big, meatheads, punchy" characterization is highly OOC, on par with "Happy Pants" Panther. Aaron's run spent years tearing Thor down just so that he could build up Thor back to the way he started.

Which, admittedly, puts him above Coates, who has spent years tearing down T'Challa, and hasn't built him up at all.
    Lol, exactly as so many of us are painfully aware of for a while now. Hell, I'm starting to side-eye the upcoming 2099 Black Panther as viable over the solo book. It hasn't even dropped yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post

And this is the biggest issue I have. People will jump on some nonsense like with Coates claiming that he is breaking ground abf and doing things no other writer has done, yet if they had read BP past Coates they would see nothing he has done is original or even makes sense abd is completely ooc for T'Challa and Wakanda

AoW has a rotating cast other than BP and Okoye. There are different members for various missions.

I'll say this and then I'm pretty much done with the topic: If AoW chumps T'Challa and just wanks all over him, then I'll be the first to admit that it's garbage and I was wrong. I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong as I've done in this thread before. So far, three issues in, this has not happened. When or if it does, anyone can bring up my previous posts and I'll just eat those words.

Everything that people want from BP should be happening in the solo and then bleed out into the satellite titles. That's not happening. AoW should always do right by BP but it shouldn't be expected to bear the brunt of the solos failures.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Ghost Panther was good. The second Avengers arc.
    I found Ghost Panther.

I did pick up some variants covers of the current run (hey they were a dollar).

I spent $26. Yet if you added up all the cover prices that would have been $110. Dang those DC variants (young Justice & Supergirl).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Thisnis again, why I think Redjack should of gotten a the gig, and wh im hopeful marvel will consider hin after Coates is gone
    Did Redjack tell you he wanted the gig?

Redjack might be more happy on the animated side of things.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    AoW has a rotating cast other than BP and Okoye. There are different members for various missions.

I'll say this and then I'm pretty much done with the topic: If AoW chumps T'Challa and just wanks all over him, then I'll be the first to admit that it's garbage and I was wrong. I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong as I've done in this thread before. So far, three issues in, this has not happened. When or if it does, anyone can bring up my previous posts and I'll just eat those words.

Everything that people want from BP should be happening in the solo and then bleed out into the satellite titles. That's not happening. AoW should always do right by BP but it shouldn't be expected to bear the brunt of the solos failures.
    .And as I said previously, Dr Nemesis being apart of AoW makes this book an automatic non-starter for me.

I've purchased and read the first three issues and feel that this book though light years above Coates stuff, is just not my cup of tea.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Redjack might be more happy on the animated side of things.
    He did a good job with T'Chaala on that Avengers cartoon.

Him, David Walker, Coates, and I think one other person pitched their ideas for the Panther solo to Marvel.

He released a synopsis of his pitch on here a few months back, around the time Panthers quest was still on.