Page 699 of 744 FirstFirst ... 199599649689695696697698699700701702703709 ... LastLast
Results 10,471 to 10,485 of 11160

Preview images of Black Panther and the Agents of Wakanda #4: https://www.cbr.com/black-panther-an...-of-wakanda-4/

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I would say yes. Priest had no spin-offs.

Hudlin didn't.

Maberry had "The Black Paris Hilton learns anger management!"

Coates' run had the most and only spin-offs and with the exception of RotBP, they were frakking horrible.

As bad as Coates was, his "woke" proteges' were worse.

This will be Coates last run, he'll get the Legacy #200 and be done.

If the rumor of DC Comics getting John Ridley to write Luke Fox as Batman-yeah Coats is DONE.

Fake Woke can't beat an Oscar winner. Who will have a bigger boast because one of his creations from Vertigo might have a movie soon.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Hudlin did it because racists abd unfans were bitching about Wakanda abd why they didn't do anything to help. So Hudlin came with with a good work around and explanation for what Wakanda DID do.
    Bro, based on Redjack's response, it's obvious that he's well versed and familiar with Reginald Hudlin's BP run.

He just finds the concept of a secretive isolationist kingdom sending out spies to other countries to assess their threat level in relation to Wakanda, "ludicrous" for some reason.

Most of us posting in this thread, found Coates introduction of rape camps and other hyper-stereotypical explorations of African dysfunction deployed within Lee and Kirby's progressive futurist Wakanda factually inaccurate and ludicrous to boot.

But what the frak do we know.

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Bro, based on Redjack's response, it's obvious that he's well versed and familiar with Reginald Hudlin's BP run.

He just finds the concept of a secretive isolationist kingdom sending out spies to other countries to assess their threat level in relation to Wakanda, "ludicrous" for some reason.

Most of us posting in this thread, found Coates introduction of rape camps and other hyper-stereotypical explorations of African dysfunction deployed within Lee and Kirby's progressive futurist Wakanda factually inaccurate and ludicrous to boot.

I always took the past portion of Hudlin's annual as cannon (i.e. Wakanda's response to the slave trade). I feel Hudlin did a great job preaenting Wakanda's position on the issue.
    Last edited by Vibranium Weave; 12-10-2019 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post

Though o could see it being a stretch somewhat that Wakanda would let it's prince wander the world bin a walkabout alone, I can 100% see them sending out spies to other nations despite being isolationist. You have the technology to do it that other nations only Dream of having, and you have had it centuries before the rest of the world. It would be folly not to put it to use, especially when sporting a 10k undefeated streak. You don't want to be caught off guard by an invading force

Just as a point of clarification, Redjack, were you talking about the idea of Wakandans sending out spies in general, or sending out spies to fight the slave trade in specific?

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Just as a point of clarification, Redjack, were you talking about the idea of Wakandans sending out spies in general, or sending out spies to fight the slave trade in specific?
    Both.

Wakanda was technologically centuries ahead of the most advanced societies on Earth. There's no way they needed to send out human agents or spies to do anything.

I applaud Reg for trying to erase the stain of Wakandan passivity and inactivity during the colonization and enslavement of the continent but, sadly, that's what they did. They sat it out, just like they mostly sat out WW2 and presumably did sit out WW1.

Wakanda brutally murdered anyone who tried to cross their borders for centuries. no way they care about what happens beyond those borders except in the most abstract and tangential of ways.

Put it like this. Wakanda should have had satellites in orbit in the 1600s at the latest.

They have no need of spies.
    Last edited by Redjack; 12-10-2019 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Both.

Wakanda was technologically centuries ahead of the most advanced societies on Earth. There's no way they needed to send out human agents or spies to do anything.

I applaud Reg for trying to erase the stain of Wakandan passivity and inactivity during the colonization and enslavement of the continent but, sadly, that's what they did. They sat it out, just like they mostly sat out WW2 and presumably did sit out WW1.

Wakanda brutally murdered anyone who tried to cross their borders for centuries. no way they care about what happens beyond those borders except in the most abstract and tangential of ways.

Put it like this. Wakanda should have had satellites in orbit in the 1600s at the latest.

This is all based on your personal continuity?

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    This is all based on your personal continuity?
    it's based on logic and what had been established up to any discussion of Wakanda being involved in fighting the slave trade.

i follow the Alan Moore School of comic book writing.

Once something's canon, you're stuck with it unless you're extremely clever in writing it away or the company does a complete universe reboot.

there is no way Wakanda can be seen as a "good" nation by American blacks if they don't put a stop to the slave trade on the African side and of general colonization of Africa by europeans. since that's precisely what they did not do, Reggie and some of those others tried to create a fix.

The fix makes no sense but i see why they felt a need to do it.

I had my own fix in place as well, sort of, but the world will never see it.

it's based on logic and what had been established up to any discussion of Wakanda being involved in fighting the slave trade.

i follow the Alan Moore School of comic book writing.

Once something's canon, you're stuck with it unless you're extremely clever in writing it away or the company does a complete universe reboot.

there is no way Wakanda can be seen as a "good" nation by American blacks if they don't put a stop to the slave trade on the African side and of general colonization of Africa by europeans. since that's precisely what they did not do, Reggie and some of those others tried to create a fix.

The fix makes no sense but i see why they felt a need to do it.

I had my own fix in place as well, sort of, but the world will never see it.
    But before Hudlin they weren't' technologically advanced until after the slave trade ended. Tchalla was the one who brought the advanced tech when he became King.

So Hudlins story is the only one that can delve into it because he gave them advanced tech, but when I read Flags of our Fathers, is seems clear that the most advanced tech they had was the gunpowder misfire totem. After that was destroyed the fighting seemed pretty on par with Hydra tech. Than Narcisse does his story and has the super tech start after Tchallas' mother dies.

Wakanda helping train slaves to rebel and then calling a truce after the tenth wave of slaves were sent to try and kill them seems plausible. They would have probably won every time, but how many would have died before the colonial forces gave up.

Sometimes the biggest problem for African American writers is reconciling Wakanda's actions as a whole!

The personal issues get in the way of the practical issues in regards to science fiction!

One could expect Superman to save every crashing plane let alone prevent all major wars but then he would never get any sleep!

Wakanda like any other concept is still at it's core "escapism" even if you agree with Killmonger's MCU ideology!

Let's just call slavery one big tax write off that can never be undone even with 30 Infinity stones and work around it carefully!

Get Hectic!

Both.

Not that I disagree with you, but they frankly already established that T'Challa himself would personally go out and act as a spy.

Course, that was a retcon and Coates retconned that even more by saying T'Challa did it because he was a scientist and wanted to learn.

But before Hudlin they weren't' technologically advanced until after the slave trade ended. Tchalla was the one who brought the advanced tech when he became King.

So Hudlins story is the only one that can delve into it because he gave them advanced tech, but when I read Flags of our Fathers, is seems clear that the most advanced tech they had was the gunpowder misfire totem. After that was destroyed the fighting seemed pretty on par with Hydra tech. Than Narcisse does his story and has the super tech start after Tchallas' mother dies.

Wakanda helping train slaves to rebel and then calling a truce after the tenth wave of slaves were sent to try and kill them seems plausible. They would have probably won every time, but how many would have died before the colonial forces gave up.
    what can i say.

it's not how i see it and it's not how i'm ever going to see it.

so i guess it's lucky for all of us I'll never be the guy writing that book.

i'm fine standing on Earth-TRN633.

I think the issue is would Wakandans even bother though.

On Priests website, he mentioned Wakandans have a xenophobic view extends to african americans and possibly other african nations.

http://digitalpriest.com/legacy/comics/panther/faq.html

what can i say.

it's not how i see it and it's not how i'm ever going to see it.

so i guess it's lucky for all of us I'll never be the guy writing that book.

i'm fine standing on Earth-TRN633.
    First off, i love these types of conversations. It's fun and refreshing. Second. I don't see your side as a negative or a good thing your not writing the book. All the true BP writer's Priest, McGregor, Hudlin gillis, narcisse, liss, and McDuffie all brought something to the table to enhance the mythos.

Without spoiling anything potentially, how would you handle it?