Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Default Master of the Mystic Arts: Doctor Strange Appreciation 2019

Long, long ago there was a young neurosurgeon named Stephen Vincent Strange, and he was about to make the big time. He had everything the world considers success -- talent, youth, wealth, looks -- but he had no heart. Then fate and his own carelessness caught up with him and stripped him of his career in a single moment. Suddenly, nothing he had was of any value; he deserted his colleagues, was deserted by his friends, and spent his entire fortune seeking a cure for his ruined hands. In desperation, he used the last of his resources to chase a scrap of hope -- the rumor of an Ancient One, far away in the mountains of Tibet, who could work miracles.

Doctor Strange found the old monk and demanded help, but the Ancient One could see that, underneath the wretchedness, he was just as uncaring as ever. He knew that Strange needed a change of heart more than he needed working hands, and offered to let him stay and learn from him. Strange, hurt and angry, called the ancient mystic a fraud and would have left at that moment except that a blizzard suddenly arose, preventing his escape. He was snowbound in the monastery with the Ancient One and his disciples, stewing in his own bitterness.

Then at last came the moment when he realized the Ancient One's most trusted disciple, Baron Mordo, was plotting to murder his master. Strange rushed to interfere, but Mordo turned dark magic on him to silence him. Faced all at once with the stunning knowledge that EVIL magic is very much real, Strange finally let his self interest go. He humbled himself before the Ancient One and asked to learn magic as well, hoping to save the old master from his deceptive disciple. Pleased to have reached Strange's heart at last, the Ancient One accepted him, freed him from Mordo's spell, and sent his former student away.

Since then, Strange has been fulfilling his silent vow to take a stand against dark magic. His adventures have taken him in and out of the hidden pockets of reality, from Eternity's domain to the throne room of the Dread Dormammu. He has primarily stood alone. He has suffered loneliness, anonymity, and a growing sense of isolation from the rest of the world, but his career has been filled with unexpected joys -- the undying loyalty of his assistant Wong, the respect of the superhero community, the turbulent friendship of the Defenders, and the love of many noble women, particularly Clea, heir to the Dark Dimension. He has allied with Doctor Doom. He has defeated Shuma-Gorath in his own dimension. He has argued with the Living Tribunal, faced down the Scarlet Witch, and ridden the winged horse Aragorn. In some cases he prevails by strength of arms, but in far more he succeeds by keeping calm, cleverly using what he has on hand, and never, EVER giving up.

All hail the master, Doctor Strange, ambassador of the mystic arts to the Marvel universe. May his star never fade.

This wonderful introduction was written by Dr. Strange fan extraordinaire, Chariset.

First posts from the previous Doctor Strange Appreciation Thread, which can be found here:
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...e-Appreciation
    Last edited by Reviresco; 01-01-2019 at 10:21 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

BOOKS

Strange Tales (1951)
    Doctor Strange (1968)
    Doctor Strange (1974)
    Strange Tales (1987)
    Doctor Strange Sorcerer Supreme (1988)
    Doctor Strange: The Flight of Bones (1999)
    Strange (2004)
    Doctor Strange: The Oath (2006)
    Strange: The Doctor is Out (2009)
    Doctor Strange (2015)
    Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme (2016)
    Doctor Strange (2018)

COLLECTED EDITIONS

Marvel Masterworks Doctor Strange v1
    Marvel Masterworks Doctor Strange v2
    Marvel Masterworks Doctor Strange v3
    Marvel Masterworks Doctor Strange v4
    Marvel Masterworks Doctor Strange v5
    Marvel Masterworks Doctor Strange v6

Essential Doctor Strange v1
    Essential Doctor Strange v2
    Essential Doctor Strange v3
    Essential Doctor Strange v4

Doctor Strange Omnibus v1

Doctor Strange Master of the Mystic Arts v1 (mass market size in color)
    Doctor Strange Master of the Mystic Arts v2 (mass market size in color)

Doctor Strange Vs Dracula

Doctor Strange Master of the Mystic Arts (Fireside)

"A Separate Reality" (collects Marvel Premiere #9, 10, 12-14, and Doctor Strange #1, 2, 4, 5)

Doctor Strange: Strange Tales (1987 series)

Doctor Strange: Into the Dark Dimension

Strange (2004)

Doctor Strange The Oath

Strange: The Doctor is Out (2009)

Doctor Strange (2015) v1: The Way of the Weird
    Doctor Strange (2015) v2: The Last Days of Magic
    Doctor Strange (2015) v3: Blood in the Aether
    Doctor Strange (2015) v4: Mr. Misery
    Doctor Strange (2015) v5: Secret Empire

Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme (2016)

Doctor Strange by Donny Cates v1: God of Magic
    Doctor Strange by Donny Cates v2: City of Sin
    Doctor Strange: Damnation the Complete Collection

Doctor Strange (2018)

OGN

Doctor Strange: Into Shamballa (1986)

Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph & Torment (1989)

Doctor Strange: What Is It That Disturbs You Stephen? (1997)

Doctor Strange Season One

PROSE

Nightmare by William Rotsler

Doctor Strange Fate of Dreams by Devin Grayson

LINKS

Sanctum Sanctorum Comix

Neil Alien Doctor Strange Fansite

The Lesser Book of the Vishanti

Doctor Strange Archive

COMICS 101 by Scott Tipton: Strange Days, Indeed 2-11-04 A selective history of Dr. Strange with plenty of pics.

A 'Respect' thread from ComicVine: http://www.comicvine.com/doctor-stra...thread-547971/

http://www.comicbookresources.com/tag/doctor+strange

Greatest Dr. Strange Stories Ever Told

Barbiere Embarks on a Strange Journey in "New Avengers Annual" #1 04/18/14

Andrew Wheeler's Original Sin Recap#1

Andrew Wheeler's Original Sin Recap#2

The Doctor Strange Readathon
    Last edited by Reviresco; 03-15-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

RECOMMENDED READING

"A Separate Reality" (collects Marvel Premiere #9, 10, 12-14, and Doctor Strange #1, 2, 4, 5) Dr. Strange becomes Sorcerer Supreme by making the toughest choice of his life, Baron Mordo and confronting GOD(?) and his first battle with Silver Dagger. -- NightMage

Triumph and Torment
    -- Beware Of Geek

Into Shamballa is my favorite. It’s written by J.M. DeMatteis and painted by Dan Green. Simply beautiful. -- Shadowcat
    This is one of my favorites, too. Beautiful book. -- Clea
    Last edited by Reviresco; 01-05-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Anything else folks would like on the first

Happy New Year to the Sorcerer Supreme and all who follow him .

Don't forget the earliest Dr. Strange collected editions-the Fireside collection (the same people who published Origins, Son of Origins, etc.)

and the paperback sized pocket books editions...

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

And Doctor Strange in prose...

and he plays a minor but significant role in the Hulk novel What Savage Beast by Peter David.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Anything else folks would like on the first
    Your list of runs does not include the latest Waid relaunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    Your list of runs does not include the latest Waid relaunch.
    It doesn't include the Aaron run either. ;p

But I just copied the previous thread's first posts by Rheged, back in 2014. Definitely needs to be updated. And I've added the Waid run ... and others.

Let me know of any other suggestions or additions.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Don't forget the earliest Dr. Strange collected editions-the Fireside collection (the same people who published Origins, Son of Origins, etc.)

and the paperback sized pocket books editions...

-M

Thanks, MRP! I'll add them on. I didn't realize that Fireside had done a Doctor Strange book. I have Origins and Son of Origins and Bring on the Bad Guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    It doesn't include the Aaron run either. ;p

But I just copied the previous thread's first posts by Rheged, back in 2014. Definitely needs to be updated. And I've added the Waid run ... and others.

Let me know of any other suggestions or additions.
    STRANGE (2004) and STRANGE: THE DOCTOR IS OUT (2009).

Also, it's THE FLIGHT OF BONES, not THE FLIGHT OF THE BONES.

BANNED

So what do you all think of the Waid run so far?

I wasn't really crazy about the whole "Strange gets depowered and must rediscover his magic" plotline, but I loved the byplay with Kanna, and Waid managed to come up with a twist I've never even considered before, which was great.

And of course, more Bats is ALWAYS a Good Thing™.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The first Doctor Strange comic I read was actually his first origin, which was included in a reprinted Spider-Man origin. I was immediately interested in the character but his comic was never available so I can only enjoy his appearances in other media.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The first Doctor Strange comic I read was actually his first origin, which was included in a reprinted Spider-Man origin. I was immediately interested in the character but his comic was never available so I can only enjoy his appearances in other media.
    Good to see you visit here too, Restingvoice!

I was thinking that was one of the Marvels Milestone reprints, but the one I was thinking of doesn't have Spidey in it, IIRC.

Fortunately, Strange now has lots of other appearances in other media. I really enjoyed the movie and am looking forward to the sequel.