Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Clint Barton: Hawkeye Appreciation 2019

He is the worlds Greatest Marksmen, he is a guy with one of the most Badass Roster of Ex Girlfriends, he is Clint Barton, he is...
    Hawkeye

I think it's about time the OG Avenging Archer gets his own V.-2019 Appreciation Thread.
    (Unless he already has one and I just didn't find it of course)

So most recently Clint guest-starred in Dead Man Logan, Avengers - No Road Home and the West Coast Avengers. Did I miss anything?

Personal Opinion on the mentioned books:

Dead Man Logan - An okay enough book, Clint was ever-present but it didn't necessarily feel like he was playing a huge role.
    Avengers - No Road Home: He was sort of important in that one but just like Avengers No Surrender it was just kind of a forgettable Nothing Story without any depth of interesting Hooks.
    West Coast Avengers: People didn't seem to like it much around here. Personally it was my favourite Kelly Thompson series so far (out of those I read).
    It helped that Clint was, for once, the straight man and competent Mentor/Leader Type on a crazy Roster. Loved the humor, as I always do when it comes to this Writers work.

Now all of theses Stories ended at this point and I'm actually not aware of where Hawkeye will turn up (or even end up) next. Any Leads?
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Glad you started this thread right with the proper costume .

Somewhat bothered that this thread isn't called Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post

I'm not .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Agreed. Totally ecstatic to know that one of my favorite members of both the Avengers & Thunderbolts finally has his own appreciation thread.

Let the good times roll.
    clint3.jpg
    Last edited by K7P5V; 04-22-2019 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Added image.

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post

Loved the Fraction series but I didn't really like how afterwards everyone tried to write Hawkguy instead of Hawkeye.
    Only very few writers actually made that work.

Here is hoping the Russo's manage to write him so well in Endgame that that becomes the new thing for writers to strive for.
    Mohawked Hawkeye who uses swords as backup weapons sounds pretty great to me honestly.
    If only because that would likely be more in line with a more classic, cockier portrayal of his character.
    Last edited by Matternativ; 04-22-2019 at 01:35 AM.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

My Twitter

I enjoyed Fraction's Hawkeye run when it came out but in the long-run I think it did more good for Kate then it did for Clint, especially from a characterization standpoint.

he hasn't been right since Geoff Johns' Avengers run, imo.

Spectacular Member

I was extremely disappointed by the recent WCA for me it shouldn't have been an avengers title and it seemed to sideline Clint in any other books. I would have loved it to have been a return to the glory days of the WCA where Clint was respected and listened to by the other heroes both on and off the team. I miss the days where he was considered a truly capable leader, this includes his time with the Thunderbolts. I want him to return to where he truly belongs though a full time, full fledged member of the main Avengers team. He used to make wisecracks but he wasn't a joke, now I feel he is treated too often as the comedy element in storylines. Give me the Hawkeye that could deactivate a bomb by shooting it with an arrow through the windows of 3 highrise buildings. Or argue with Steve Rogers but then tear into anyone else who would talk back to Steve. Just read a good 4 part story in a Captain America (629-633) where Clint was both a smart arse but yet a formidable opponent.
    Bring back the good ole days of our favourite Avenging Archer!

I enjoyed Fraction's Hawkeye run when it came out but in the long-run I think it did more good for Kate then it did for Clint, especially from a characterization standpoint.
    Yes and no.
    The charme of that book was that every appearing character made mistakes and appeared more humanized than in other books.
    The issue is that many Writers in other books kept writing him that way even in less low-key stories were every other Hero Type was the typical idealized version of themselves.

Kot's Secret Avengers and Tales of Suspense were great examples of stories that portrayed Clint very much like Fraction did without forgetting that he's still a superhero who is up to the task.
    Quote Originally Posted by maklelin highbain View Post
    I was extremely disappointed by the recent WCA for me it shouldn't have been an avengers title and it seemed to sideline Clint in any other books. I would have loved it to have been a return to the glory days of the WCA where Clint was respected and listened to by the other heroes both on and off the team. I miss the days where he was considered a truly capable leader, this includes his time with the Thunderbolts. I want him to return to where he truly belongs though a full time, full fledged member of the main Avengers team. He used to make wisecracks but he wasn't a joke, now I feel he is treated too often as the comedy element in storylines. Give me the Hawkeye that could deactivate a bomb by shooting it with an arrow through the windows of 3 highrise buildings. Or argue with Steve Rogers but then tear into anyone else who would talk back to Steve. Just read a good 4 part story in a Captain America (629-633) where Clint was both a smart arse but yet a formidable opponent.
    Bring back the good ole days of our favourite Avenging Archer!
    I briefly mentioned that up there when I replied to Frontier but you gotta make a difference between stories that have a comedic tone were everyone gets a slapsticky moment or two and books that are more serious were only certain characters get that treatment.

I'm not saying you have to like this version of the WCA but if you actually read the whole thing you'll quickly realize that Clint and America Chavez are the most "protected" members of the Team throughout most chapters while it's mostly Kate Bishop or Gwenpool who drew the shortest straws.

As for the story you mentioned: Is that the one with the dinosaurs?
    Because that was really not a good story.
    But I'll agree that Clint was portrayed very well and his interactions with Cap were fun.

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Yes and no.
    The charme of that book was that every appearing character made mistakes and appeared more humanized than in other books.
    The issue is that many Writers in other books kept writing him that way even in less low-key stories were every other Hero Type was the typical idealized version of themselves.

Kot's Secret Avengers and Tales of Suspense were great examples of stories that portrayed Clint very much like Fraction did without forgetting that he's still a superhero who is up to the task.
    I think you hit the nail on the head that the main issue with it was that people took Fraction's take, which was supposed to be "off" in some respects, and then made it his defining characterization.

Every now and then a writer gets him right but he still always feels kind of "off" to me ever since that run. I also just don't care for arrow shirt costume anymore.

Spectacular Member

Yes and no.

I briefly mentioned that up there when I replied to Frontier but you gotta make a difference between stories that have a comedic tone were everyone gets a slapsticky moment or two and books that are more serious were only certain characters get that treatment.

I'm not saying you have to like this version of the WCA but if you actually read the whole thing you'll quickly realize that Clint and America Chavez are the most "protected" members of the Team throughout most chapters while it's mostly Kate Bishop or Gwenpool who drew the shortest straws.

As for the story you mentioned: Is that the one with the dinosaurs?
    Because that was really not a good story.
    But I'll agree that Clint was portrayed very well and his interactions with Cap were fun.
    I have read all but issue 10 (which in theory will arrive today) as I have every issue of the original runs of WCA it would have been next to unthinkable for me to not have the complete run of this. But it is more than just WCA that seems to want to make Clint the comedy element.
    Yeah the whole Stegron thing was pretty disposable but it was the interaction between Cap and Clint that made it entertaining. And they get Clint being a smart arse but not over the top at the perfect level.

I think you hit the nail on the head that the main issue with it was that people took Fraction's take, which was supposed to be "off" in some respects, and then made it his defining characterization.

Every now and then a writer gets him right but he still always feels kind of "off" to me ever since that run. I also just don't care for arrow shirt costume anymore.
    I get what you mean. Maybe his appearance in Endgame (which I have already seen but no spoilers) will give writers some ideas to give him a new personality spin.
    A more vigilante/superheroic on than "guy in converse who breaks his nose a lot".
    Quote Originally Posted by maklelin highbain View Post
    I have read all but issue 10 (which in theory will arrive today) as I have every issue of the original runs of WCA it would have been next to unthinkable for me to not have the complete run of this. But it is more than just WCA that seems to want to make Clint the comedy element.
    Yeah the whole Stegron thing was pretty disposable but it was the interaction between Cap and Clint that made it entertaining. And they get Clint being a smart arse but not over the top at the perfect level.
    Oh that I agree with. He's the butt of most jokes wherever he appears.
    That's where Tales of suspense was refreshing.

My Twitter

I heard on one pod that there is a possible Hawkeye show on Disney +. The series would be based on the Fraction take. Has anyone else head anything about this?

I get what you mean. Maybe his appearance in Endgame (which I have already seen but no spoilers) will give writers some ideas to give him a new personality spin.
    A more vigilante/superheroic on than "guy in converse who breaks his nose a lot"
    I'd just like to see more writers remember him as the cocky and charming firebrand who loves being a hero and who stood up to Captain America, led his own Avengers team, and turned around a Supervillain team.

Or pop in an Earth's Mightiest Heroes DVD and watch "Gamma World Pt. 2" or "Widow's Sting."
    Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    I heard on one pod that there is a possible Hawkeye show on Disney +. The series would be based on the Fraction take. Has anyone else head anything about this?
    There's been a lot of rumors of a Hawkeye series.

If it does happen, the most I see them taking from Fraction is the Clint/Kate partnership, even though Renner's Hawkeye would probably have a very different dynamic with Kate.

And maybe they would have the Tracksuit Dracula's as villains, but I'd love to see Swordsman, Trickshot, or Crossfire as well.