Page 683 of 744 FirstFirst ... 183583633673679680681682683684685686687693733 ... LastLast
Results 10,231 to 10,245 of 11160
  1. #10231
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    The backlash to Coates legit reminds me of Star Wars fans freaking out about The Last Jedi.

    Nothing works? Nothing is good? It never showed respect to the past?


    This new fandom is wild now days.

    One of the most respected black writers in the world is getting dragged like this.....man. Tough crowd
    Respected by whom?

    I'd never heard of him before he started writing BP.

    And now, after having been subjected to his sub-par BP fare, it goes without saying that I have no desire whatsoever, to read any else his written period.

    I've been reading BP dating all the way back to the McGregor days so please miss me with that "new reader" slur.
    Last edited by Mr MajestiK; 12-02-2019 at 04:28 AM.

  2. #10232
    Ultimate Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    16,913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I no lie hope goon slam Gary abd backhand Barry low-key become actual recurring Characters
    Barry is somewhere low key loving this shit even though he is suffering from chronic neck pain.


    Barry: "I told ya T'challa was a bitch! I told T'challa to his face! Look at him now!"


    *Village Pub groans in unison*
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

    T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

  3. #10233
    Ultimate Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    16,913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post

    There's a reason why I used to go by "Beware Of Geek".
    hahahhahaa well shit.

    I've seen this name post a few times and I was like, "wow a new guy, he seems cool", but I don't hang around as much. I wondered where BoG had gone

    LOL
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

    T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

  4. #10234
    Mighty Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,847

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    The backlash to Coates legit reminds me of Star Wars fans freaking out about The Last Jedi.

    Nothing works? Nothing is good? It never showed respect to the past?


    This new fandom is wild now days.

    One of the most respected black writers in the world is getting dragged like this.....man. Tough crowd
    Oh boohoo! Cry me a river. If I'm sick of anything, it's this culture of hero worship where nobody is allowed to say anything negative about someone because they're "respected" or high achieving.

    I don't care about Coates' achievements or his status. None of us owe him anything that we're not allowed to speak our minds about what he's doing with a property which--mind you--existed before he was ever a thing. I don't have to praise or like his work simply because he's a black man or that he has a name.

    I should add that as a casual Star Wars viewer, The Last Jedi is one of the most boring films I've ever watched, with horribly executed fight choreography. So that comparison sounds apt. And I should also add that Rian Johnson disrespected the SW repeatedly, went against what actors themselves like Mark Hamill thought was right for the characters, all just to "subvert expectations". So again, an apt comparison which actually does your argument no favours.

  5. #10235
    Ultimate Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    16,913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I should add that as a casual Star Wars viewer, The Last Jedi is one of the most boring films I've ever watched, with horribly executed fight choreography. So that comparison sounds apt. And I should also add that Rian Johnson disrespected the SW repeatedly, went against what actors themselves like Mark Hamill thought was right for the characters, all just to "subvert expectations". So again, an apt comparison which actually does your argument no favours.
    The GoT playbook lol
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

    T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

  6. #10236
    ...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,201

    Default

    The backlash to Coates legit reminds me of Star Wars fans freaking out about The Last Jedi.

    Nothing works? Nothing is good? It never showed respect to the past?


    This new fandom is wild now days.
    Good. LETS MAKE IT AN EXCELLENT reminder.

    "The Solo movie for example: Solo: A Star Wars Story grossed $213.8 million in the United States and Canada, and $179.1 million in other territories, for a total worldwide gross of $392.9 million.[11] With an estimated production budget of $275 million, the film needed to gross at least $500 million worldwide to break even" = Failure

    Let it be know, you push people to far with your personal projection bs in their stories, and not only will they stop showing up. They'll tell their friends.
    You can't shame people by comparing them to people who were right about things.

    I don't say a lot here but the people in this thread are the most "together through it ALL" Fanbases a property could have. Further they're actually one of the MOST reasonable.

    So if they tell you "Hey, this is wrong" or "This writer is mishandling Black Panther" you don't really get to say "You guys are BAD FANS *NYAH*" Hell no.
    If these guys in the Black Panther thread are saying this somebody up top needs to shut the heck up and LISTEN.
    They've been through the WORST for this character and still stood up to bat for him and knew his potential. ALL ALONG.

    Sitting reading this thread... I realize something is TERRIBLY wrong hearing these particular group of brethren say "I'm done with The King until this writer is off the book".

    Long story short. This is the one place where you are SURE to get laughed at when you try to misdirect the argument of "Character Assassination" into one about "Entitlement" or "Fan Overreaction"

    Ironic, I came here to show appreciation and tuned in in time to see this post. I'm NOT the biggest Black Panther fan but he CERTAINLY deserves the UTMOST RESPECT and care. That billion dollar movie opened the door for what I've waited forever to see again: Blade.
    Further, had normies in love with the dream of wakanda something I NEVER thought I'd see, but these guys knew would be all along.

    I really stopped in to appreciate the best and most consistent community on the boards, but also to express a sentiment that apparently isn't yet NEEDS to be expressed in the book.

    "Hail to the King"


    props to the bp boards, assaulted on all sides, ya'll keep the ship floating. Bravo.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

  7. #10237
    Astonishing Member Overhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Oh boohoo! Cry me a river. If I'm sick of anything, it's this culture of hero worship where nobody is allowed to say anything negative about someone because they're "respected" or high achieving.

    I don't care about Coates' achievements or his status. None of us owe him anything that we're not allowed to speak our minds about what he's doing with a property which--mind you--existed before he was ever a thing. I don't have to praise or like his work simply because he's a black man or that he has a name.

    I should add that as a casual Star Wars viewer, The Last Jedi is one of the most boring films I've ever watched, with horribly executed fight choreography. So that comparison sounds apt. And I should also add that Rian Johnson disrespected the SW repeatedly, went against what actors themselves like Mark Hamill thought was right for the characters, all just to "subvert expectations". So again, an apt comparison which actually does your argument no favours.
    I liked The Last Jedi, but it had really bad writing, because Johnson was more concerned with being woke instead of telling a good story. Nobody told him about himself, that's why you got things like Finn, a black man, a former brainwashed child soldier, needing a lecture about how war and slavery are bad. Not to mention the fact that he went through the exact same character arc that he did in The Force Awakens. Ahhh, I could rant for days about Finn's portrayal.

  8. #10238
    Ultimate Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    16,913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Ahhh, I could rant for days about Finn's portrayal.
    Finn is the single worst character in Star Wars if you consider his potential.

    Absolute straight garbage character who on paper, initially and what was freaking teased, had a chance to be an absolute excellent character.

    Instead he exists to go, "we have black people in Star Wars the black community! buy our toys and come see!"

    Sorry, off topic lol.


    Accepting trash like Finn is how you get trash like T'chumpa translated to mass media.
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

    T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

  9. #10239
    Extraordinary Member Ezyo1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    8,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Oh boohoo! Cry me a river. If I'm sick of anything, it's this culture of hero worship where nobody is allowed to say anything negative about someone because they're "respected" or high achieving.

    I don't care about Coates' achievements or his status. None of us owe him anything that we're not allowed to speak our minds about what he's doing with a property which--mind you--existed before he was ever a thing. I don't have to praise or like his work simply because he's a black man or that he has a name.

    I should add that as a casual Star Wars viewer, The Last Jedi is one of the most boring films I've ever watched, with horribly executed fight choreography. So that comparison sounds apt. And I should also add that Rian Johnson disrespected the SW repeatedly, went against what actors themselves like Mark Hamill thought was right for the characters, all just to "subvert expectations". So again, an apt comparison which actually does your argument no favours.
    I had a whole post made in reply to klaues post but i simplified it to what It is now. But I will say what I had I. The original draft now.

    Respect is earned, it's not an entitlement because your a "somebody" also if you can't be bothered to put in their due diligence to research and only look at surface level stuff, garner anybody's respect when the most basic and simple knowledge is being ignored or and the person in question takes 3-4 interviews to finally say what they LIKE about the character.

    People who have been around since day one aren't going to just accept whatever nonsense a new writer with zero comic book experience and a clear lack of understanding of the character in question. That goes for anybody. Christopher Priest Reginald Hudlin, Redjack, whoever, all receive the same equal criticism. And if any of then, even now, started doing the stuff Coates is doing, we would react the same way. They wouldn't get a pass because we just like them. The BP posters here? We are consistent. We give credit where credit is due, abd we judge based on what's put on panel, regardlesobes accolades or what they have done before. Being a good writer before in BP doesn't give a free pass to trash the character and mythos as you please for some agenda ™.

  10. #10240
    Astonishing Member Overhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Finn is the single worst character in Star Wars if you consider his potential.

    Absolute straight garbage character who on paper, initially and what was freaking teased, had a chance to be an absolute excellent character.

    Instead he exists to go, "we have black people in Star Wars the black community! buy our toys and come see!"

    Sorry, off topic lol.


    Accepting trash like Finn is how you get trash like T'chumpa translated to mass media.
    John Boyega wanted to play Black Panther at one point, he'd be great as Coates' Panther.

  11. #10241
    Ultimate Life Form BlackClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Space Colony ARK
    Posts
    1,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    John Boyega wanted to play Black Panther at one point, he'd be great as Coates' Panther.
    I can only hope Boyega gets cast in the sequel so that Coogler can show Kathleen Kennedy what a director that knows what the hell he’s doing can achieve with his actors.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

  12. #10242
    The Professional Marvell2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    All Along The Watchtower
    Posts
    10,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    The backlash to Coates legit reminds me of Star Wars fans freaking out about The Last Jedi.

    Nothing works? Nothing is good? It never showed respect to the past?


    This new fandom is wild now days.

    One of the most respected black writers in the world is getting dragged like this.....man. Tough crowd
    If you enjoy Coates work that's great.

    A lot of us don't and we're not some "new fandom". Coates is the newbie here and he's failing miserably.

    Instead of really understanding What Black Panther and Wakanda are all about, he filled his runs with his own perceived biases, especially when it comes to black men.

    He's never written a comic book before and it's showing. As far as I care, being "woke" means you're awake.

    People equate "woke" with some kind of knowledge or enlightenment and throw that isht around like some kind of merit badge. I don't buy that isht at all.


  13. #10243
    Be Seeing You
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,847

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    hahahhahaa well shit.

    I've seen this name post a few times and I was like, "wow a new guy, he seems cool", but I don't hang around as much. I wondered where BoG had gone

    LOL
    Yeah, I decided to consolidate a few online identities, and BoG didn't make the cut.

    Same geek, different "face" .

    Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I should add that as a casual Star Wars viewer, The Last Jedi is one of the most boring films I've ever watched, with horribly executed fight choreography. So that comparison sounds apt. And I should also add that Rian Johnson disrespected the SW repeatedly, went against what actors themselves like Mark Hamill thought was right for the characters, all just to "subvert expectations". So again, an apt comparison which actually does your argument no favours.
    I'm not as vitriolic as some regarding TLJ... indeed, I rather liked their take on Luke as a snarky old fart... mainly because I'm one myself. However, I'll agree that much of the second act simply doesn't work very well, and was indeed pretty dull.

    But they haven't broken me yet.

  14. #10244
    Extraordinary Member Ezyo1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    8,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I liked The Last Jedi, but it had really bad writing, because Johnson was more concerned with being woke instead of telling a good story. Nobody told him about himself, that's why you got things like Finn, a black man, a former brainwashed child soldier, needing a lecture about how war and slavery are bad. Not to mention the fact that he went through the exact same character arc that he did in The Force Awakens. Ahhh, I could rant for days about Finn's portrayal.
    TLJ was bad from a movie and fan standpoint. The whole plot with the first order chasing the resistance was
    the very definition of plot induced stupidity. Ontop of the fact that the main characters don't have ars. It was just bad from a movie standpoint, cause just completely shat on what came before it.

    As for Finn, so much wasted potential yeah

  15. #10245
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Respected by whom?

    I'd never heard of him before he started writing BP.
    The fact that you never heard of him doesn't mean he wasn't respected and widely known elsewhere.

    For many people, the news that he would be writing BP was instantly greeted with excitement from people who knew his work as a writer and journalist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I should add that as a casual Star Wars viewer, The Last Jedi is one of the most boring films I've ever watched, with horribly executed fight choreography. So that comparison sounds apt. And I should also add that Rian Johnson disrespected the SW repeatedly, went against what actors themselves like Mark Hamill thought was right for the characters, all just to "subvert expectations". So again, an apt comparison which actually does your argument no favours.
    Hamill has since recanted his complaints and regrets publicly expressing them, conceding Johnson was right.

    As he said in a Twitter post:

    I regret voicing my doubts & insecurities in public. Creative differences are a common element of any project but usually remain private. All I wanted was to make [a] good movie. I got more than that (Johnson) made an all-time GREAT one! #HumbledHamill.

    He also went on to say:

    Ive had trouble accepting what (Johnson) saw for Luke but again, I mean, I have to say, having seen the movie I was wrong...I think being pushed out of your comfort zone is a good thing because if I was just another benevolent Jedi training young padawans, weve seen it.

    Johnson did not disrespect SW at all. His creative choices actually reflect someone who gave a great deal of thought to SW.

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Good. LETS MAKE IT AN EXCELLENT reminder.

    "The Solo movie for example: Solo: A Star Wars Story grossed $213.8 million in the United States and Canada, and $179.1 million in other territories, for a total worldwide gross of $392.9 million.[11] With an estimated production budget of $275 million, the film needed to gross at least $500 million worldwide to break even" = Failure

    Let it be know, you push people to far with your personal projection bs in their stories, and not only will they stop showing up. They'll tell their friends.
    You can't shame people by comparing them to people who were right about things.
    The box office failure of SOLO can not be attributed to reaction to THE LAST JEDI.

    It's more widely accepted that it was simply a movie no one was asking for in the first place (has anyone ever clamored for Han's backstory?), that audiences were not interested in anyone but Harrison Ford as Solo, and that it had a poorly chosen release date, coming out in a congested summer season and too soon on the heels of TLJ, leaving not enough breathing room between movies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Long story short. This is the one place where you are SURE to get laughed at when you try to misdirect the argument of "Character Assassination" into one about "Entitlement" or "Fan Overreaction"
    Long story short, there is a rabid group of Coates haters on this thread. They are, if nothing else, consistent on this.

    If you go by the opinions of regular posters here, Coates has emasculated T'Challa and denigrated the image of Wakanda.

    That belief is so entrenched, it's not even worth debating.

    Is that perception of Coates true? I would say most people outside of these boards would say no and that's not how his run is viewed.

    The greater issue with Coates as BP writer, the one that really affects sales, is his pacing. His Space Wakanda story was a wearisome drudge, to the point where even many readers who otherwise appreciated his BP run reached their breaking point. Is Marvel going to keep Coates on when his current storyline wraps? We'll just have to wait and see.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •