Page 697 of 744 FirstFirst ... 197597647687693694695696697698699700701707 ... LastLast
Results 10,441 to 10,455 of 11160

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    I think, in the time frame it was introduced, yes, unconscious racism is what put T'Challa and storm in a love story. They were and remain Marvel's biggest, most recognized black characters and, rather than do the work of giving either of them real supporting characters including love interests, the idea became to put the black folks together. Hard pass on that for me.

I think it's lazy, basically. And in the case of Batman/Wonder Woman (comics version, not Timm-verse) ignores both their characters. Plus all the other story-making stuff i said earlier.

I mean, nothing is ever set in stone but i don't see Marvel ever requesting a pitch from me on either of those titles or accepting the stories i want to tell about them if they did request.

No big. Plenty of other folks to write about.
    I guess it just seems odd that marvel wouldn't atleast take that into consideration since your cartoon was a hit.

Again how you put it, are you black listed essentially when they turn you down?

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    Black Panther #18 14,727

BP: AoW #3 21,347

A relaunch is definitely coming

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...9/2019-11.html
    Hopefully with a new creative team. AoW is kinda stabilizing

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Hopefully Evan Narcisse isn’t too busy.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Black Panther #18 14,727

Relaunch? Yes!

Relaunch with Coates? Ugh!

AoW is holding on which is good. Hopefully this is the right formula. No long drawn out character study.

The AoW team was far more random than BP & The Crew but it feels much more like a team than The Crew did.

I guess it just seems odd that marvel wouldn't atleast take that into consideration since your cartoon was a hit.

Again how you put it, are you black listed essentially when they turn you down?

not at all. i did a short in the SPIDER-GEDDON mini series and I've got something in the upcoming NEW VOICES.

it's more that each editorial group is like its own kingdom and I don't have any connects in the X or Panther offices. So, unless the EiC wants me on a book, the odds of my name even coming up are pretty low.

Trust me, if they ask me on either of those characters, i would dive in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    I find the suggestion that "racism" unconscious or otherwise, having anything to do with introducing a love story between Ororo and T'Challa by Chris Claremont back in the early 80's rather odd to be quite frank.... clipped for space
    Reggie, Dwayne and Mr. Priest did what they could do with what I think was a misguided (at best) story point that came from Claremont. I especially liked Dwayne's FF. That was fire.

The racism aspect comes when your company had only four black characters of note and, rather than actually flesh out their lives, backstories, supporting casts and heroic journies, you shoehorn a random meeting in that puts two of them together "because they're both Africans."

If Marvel's only gay characters, for instance, were Wiccan and Hulkling and one was from Vancouver and the other from the Bahamas, creating a story where they randomly meet in Guam just to make them a couple would be the sort of unconscious homophobic foundation that a lot of straight "liberals" don't realize they suffer from. Same with T'Challa and Ororo.

They were, for instance, FAR more likely to meet as adults during one of the many X and Avengers crossovers that have occurred than during T'Challa's walkabout (which also makes zero sense as Wakanda's doors were still basically closed at the time and the notion of the teenaged Prince wandering around Africa on his own is just ludicrous.)

I never liked it. I'm never going to like it. It's just how it landed on me.
    Last edited by Redjack; 12-09-2019 at 02:59 PM.

Black Panther #18 14,727

Brother MoS will have to verify, but I do believe this is the first time in Marvel history that a BP spinoff regularly outsells the main book.

Sadly, I suspect TNC will get a relaunch (possibly with a new title) so that he can "finish telling his story", despite the fact that said story is unpopular drek.

Fantastic Member LastManStanding's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Reggie, Dwayne and Mr. Priest did what they could do with what I think was a misguided (at best) story point that came from Claremont. I especially liked Dwayne's FF. That was fire.

The racism aspect comes when your company had only four black characters of note and, rather than actually flesh out their lives, backstories, supporting casts and heroic journies, you shoehorn a random meeting in that puts two of them together "because they're both Africans."

If Marvel's only gay characters, for instance, were Wiccan and Hulkling and one was from Vancouver and the other from the Bahamas, creating a story where they randomly meet in Guam just to make them a couple would be the sort of unconscious homophobic foundation that a lot of straight "liberals" don't realize they suffer from. Same with T'Challa and Ororo.

They were, for instance, FAR more likely to meet as adults during one of the many X and Avengers crossovers that have occurred than during T'Challa's walkabout (which also makes zero sense as Wakanda's doors were still basically closed at the time and the notion of the teenaged Prince wandering around Africa on his own is just ludicrous.)

I never liked it. I'm never going to like it. It's just how it landed on me.
    Said teenage took up a 'super powered' weapon and shot up some invaders prior to the walk about. The inner council probably thought he would fine on his own. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Brother MoS will have to verify, but I do believe this is the first time in Marvel history that a BP spinoff regularly outsells the main book.

Sadly, I suspect TNC will get a relaunch (possibly with a new title) so that he can "finish telling his story", despite the fact that said story is unpopular drek.
    I would say yes. Priest had no spin-offs.

Hudlin didn't.

Maberry had "The Black Paris Hilton learns anger management!"

Coates' run had the most and only spin-offs and with the exception of RotBP, they were frakking horrible.

As bad as Coates was, his "woke" proteges' were worse.

This will be Coates last run, he'll get the Legacy #200 and be done.

Miss Wakanda 2019!

The story thus far...

It's my wife's birthday and now we have a newly corned Miss Universe with ties to Wakanda... OOPS I mean South Africa!

The natural is back... At least until 2020!

So not I get to here all day every day how South African women are the most beautiful on the planet and wifey has receipts!
    Get Hectic!

Black Panther #18 14,727

Another 500 lost. On track to be almost below 10,000 by the time this story ends.

Strikeforce is down there too. That won't be around much longer.

Ultimate Member

This is interesting. Are you saying it's racists because you think the reason Claremont had then meet even is because they are both Black and African? Or that it felt like it was an attempt at tying in another franchise that just didn't seem believable?

You also have the opinion that you don't like the Batman/Superman, Wonder woman pairing either, is that due to you don't like superheroes dating that are of their own franchises?

Finally, is it so set in stone that you won't be able to do a Storm or BP Solo? Especially given how much success you had with BP quest? I'm not at all familiar with how the line of work goes in terms of a pitch being passed but is it really that final? Once Coates leaves can't you , in Theory make another pitch to Marvel?
    In terms of BUSINESS it can be an issue.
    Remember what happened to Robin in the 80s?

You had the Teen Titans doing commercials and ads with the Protector who looked like Robin. Because Robin's rights belong to someone else for television purposes.
    Same thing with Joker and his MIA with the Legion of Doom.
    Aquaman vanished from Justice League shows once that Aquaman pilot was being made on the WB/CW.
    What good would it have done for Panther & Storm if you could not do that in the movies? Yeah that issue is gone but it's NOT in the comics.

I agree with Redjack-it's better to have 2 black power couples versus one.

Luke & Jessica have spawned how many books?
    Peter & Mary Jane?
    Clark & Lois?
    Aquaman and now Mera?

No franchise issues with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Another 500 lost. On track to be almost below 10,000 by the time this story ends.

Strikeforce is down there too. That won't be around much longer.
    AoW #96. Black Panther #139

Somebody file a missing persons report, Coates fans have disappeared!

Quote Originally Posted by FLEX HECTIC View Post
    Miss Wakanda 2019!

The story thus far...

It's my wife's birthday and now we have a newly corned Miss Universe with ties to Wakanda... OOPS I mean South Africa!

The natural is back... At least until 2020!

So not I get to here all day every day how South African women are the most beautiful on the planet and wifey has receipts!
    You know now that I think about it, having someone from Wakanda participate in the miss universe pageant would make for a fun one shot comic.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    You know now that I think about it, having someone from Wakanda participate in the miss universe pageant would make for a fun one shot comic.
    Especially if it was Okoye.

"How is anyone supposed to fight in these shoes?"