Page 299 of 744 FirstFirst ... 199249289295296297298299300301302303309349399 ... LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,485 of 11160
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I would say no to Hickman. No panther tears, no more empty threats, and no T'Chaka ain't sh!t scenes, please.
    Agreed 100%.

I would say no to Hickman. No panther tears, no more empty threats, and no T'Chaka ain't sh!t scenes, please.
    T'chaka kinda does suck in nearly every iteration of the character lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    T'chaka kinda does suck in nearly every iteration of the character lol
    I thought the Priest & Hudlin versions worked. Prior to their runs, he seemed really progressive. IIRC, it was T'Chaka that wanted T'Challa to learn about the outside world in order to better understand it, and learn different perspectives which would only aid in protecting Wakanda. I understood why T'Challa thought his father was larger than life (even though T'Challa has overcome far more complex threats to Wakanda). The hero-worship felt legit to me.

It was not until Hickman that T'Chaka seemed shady, and that was done to fit the narrative (instead of adhering to previous character history).

Personally, I love MCU T'Chaka. I, too, am cursed with a dumb-arse brother. I air fist-pumped when he buried claws deep into that chump. For real.

To me, T'Chaka should be one with zero tolerance for dumb sh!t which is why Klaw had to kill him.

I thought the Priest & Hudlin versions worked. Prior to their runs, he seemed really progressive. IIRC, it was T'Chaka that wanted T'Challa to learn about the outside world in order to better understand it, and learn different perspectives which would only aid in protecting Wakanda. I understood why T'Challa thought his father was larger than life (even though T'Challa has overcome far more complex threats to Wakanda). The hero-worship felt legit to me.

It was not until Hickman that T'Chaka seemed shady, and that was done to fit the narrative (instead of adhering to previous character history).

Personally, I love MCU T'Chaka. I, too, am cursed with a dumb-arse brother. I air fist-pumped when he buried claws deep into that chump. For real.

To me, T'Chaka should be one with zero tolerance for dumb sh!t which is why Klaw had to kill him.
    The existence of the HZ proved T'chaka had a dark side waaaaaaaaaaaaay before Hickman had him refuse the refugees at the border.

I always just assumed the refused exiles. they are isolationist. They don't allow people in.

People got all rosy thinking that only meant "yay killing invaders!" but as the movie pointed out (much more subtlely than Hickman), that also means closing it off to refugees and people looking for help as well.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

My problem with Messr. Hickman is well-documented. But as a simple example, I will point to the "King of the Dead" mantle, which was suggested to be a power-up, but ended up being:

1. The ability to ̶b̶e̶ ̶s̶c̶o̶l̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶y̶ talk to the Panthers of the past (which T'Challa could do already).
    2. The ability to control zombies, which was used in one issue as a delaying tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    My problem with Messr. Hickman is well-documented. But as a simple example, I will point to the "King of the Dead" mantle, which was suggested to be a power-up, but ended up being:

1. The ability to ̶b̶e̶ ̶s̶c̶o̶l̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶y̶ talk to the Panthers of the past (which T'Challa could do already).
    2. The ability to control zombies, which was used in one issue as a delaying tactic.
    I love like, 85% of what he does. I was very interested in each issue montly when it came out.

15% of the stuff he does grinds my gears though lol

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post

I've argued this for awhile, but I think the KotD was less a power up and more a way of getting him back to status quo WITHOUT taking anything away from Shuri. He was depowered and dethroned when Hickman started writing him, but was able to call himself a Black Panther and a King (sort of) while Shuri still remained BP on the Wakandan throne. It was a sort of short term compromise until they were ready to really return T'Challa to status quo.

Extraordinary Member

The existence of the HZ proved T'chaka had a dark side waaaaaaaaaaaaay before Hickman had him refuse the refugees at the border.

I always just assumed the refused exiles. they are isolationist. They don't allow people in.

People got all rosy thinking that only meant "yay killing invaders!" but as the movie pointed out (much more subtlely than Hickman), that also means closing it off to refugees and people looking for help as well.
    The man was not a saint. Sometimes you gotta get dirty to keep what you value most pristine. Honestly, I can respect that. Wakanda is supposed to be that one nation unconquered by colonists for centuries. You can't do that without sending a clear message to foreigners, and neighboring nation-states that outsiders & invaders are not welcome. When folks come looking for aid, it can be tough to differentiate the truly needy from potential trouble-makers (as Achebe proved to be). Folks like Steve Rogers are few and far between. I like to believe that T'Chaka was aware that new methods would be needed as the world was changing, but he was too set in the old ways. He wanted T'Challa to be a different king than him, and be able to adjust to the ever changing world. It was telling that Hunter was raised in the old ways (and running the HZ). Hunter represents the old way of thinking. It is worth noting the difference in age between Hunter & T'Challa. Parenting styles can change with age. The birth of T'Challa probably enlightened the king to new possibilities of ruling.

T'Chaka was probably mellowing out as he got older both in comics & film (which may have aided Klaw & Zemo).

I'm thinking it was exposure to the outside world is what caused T'Challa to ban the HZ.

But damn, if the HZ was doing their job, T'Chaka might still be alive.

OMW, Coates actually advanced the plot in BP11

Bout damn time.

He went back to his roots of just talking the whole issue lol

One thing that does bother me:

spoilers:
    t'challa is not Eden's king, Eden is not Wakandan.
    end of spoilers
    I won't say the story progressed until the next issue comes out. He likes to disappoint. Lol. No real substance though. Can speed read it.

I always liked how Priest described T'Challa: "The black Odin".

He'd nail it, as long as he promises Doom isn't involved
    Or Reed or someone else he likes better..

Same here...
    Last edited by 4sake Baned; 04-24-2019 at 03:53 PM.

OMW, Coates actually advanced the plot in BP11

Bout damn time.

He went back to his roots of just talking the whole issue lol

One thing that does bother me:

spoilers:
    t'challa is not Eden's king, Eden is not Wakandan.
    end of spoilers
    I liked the issue overall. However, with the next issue being the conclusion to this arc I feel like we are going to get another rushed ending.

Also: spoilers:
    In regards to Eden at this point I guess it can be assumed he has become a citizen of Wakanda. If his relationship with Shuri gets serious he may even call T'Challa his brother-in-law as well one day.
    end of spoilers
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    I liked the issue overall. However, with the next issue being the conclusion to this arc I feel like we are going to get another rushed ending.

In regards to Eden at this point I guess it can be assumed he has become a citizen of Wakanda. If his relationship with Shuri gets serious he may even call T'Challa his brother-in-law as well one day.
    end of spoilers
    It's not the conclusion. We got at least 5 more issues probably

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    I won't say the story progressed until the next issue comes out. He likes to disappoint. Lol. No real substance though. Can speed read it.
    Yeah lots of talking.

spoilers:
    The my king part is annoying
    end of spoilers

Alot of tell and not a lot of show. Tchalla is this great champion yet all he fights are goons and the biggest threat has been Eden and we have seen that it wasn't a curb stomp like it should of been. If Coates was smart he would of had powered generals for Tchalla to fight to raise the stakes and show why he is so dangerous.

Pretty forgettable issue

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Much like Storm, the BP mythos is far too Rich to need to adopt a character from a different franchise, especially Eden who doesn't contribute anything to the mythos but sure as hell greedily takes from it
    end of spoilers