Page 161 of 744 FirstFirst ... 61111151157158159160161162163164165171211261661 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,415 of 11160
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    It's lowkey embarrassing that for certain characters the only mcu idea people have for them is to force them onto another franchise.

Like, don't those certain characters have their own ****? I think Nakia is the best thing to happen to those certain characters. Maybe it'll force the franchise of those certain characters to stop being lazy asses
    Will that franchise house clean everybody out?

As I tell John Stewart fans-it does not matter what great development is done in Justice League with him.
    Same with Duke Thomas be it his own trade or the Batman & Outsiders book.

They STILL belong to a bigger franchise.
    If the main Green Lantern, Batman or Black Panther book writes them as CRAP-that is the book a LARGER number of folks will see.

So you have a character that is a HARDER sell if they get a solo book. Unless that book pulls a Shuri or Simon & Jessica and out sell the main book. In the latter's case that would be the trade sales.

For that person you are referencing-she is in a gray area. I see Coates Panther run having a field day in sales and checks out the library more than her own franchise.
    She's fine for now but once they get their act together-Houston we have a problem.

In fairness this is probably why some people have a problem with the movie as an oscar contender. It has aspirations far greater than what you expect from this movie then it all falls back to typical Marvel bits (only every now and then. thank goodness)
    It still belongs to Marvel. And they can't fold that against Coolger. How many other movies were under the same control? Yet got nominations?

People have issues with BP's nomination because it doesn't feel like what to typically expect from a Best Picture nomination, but feel Logan and TDK deserved it more because they 'look' like and are directed like those types of films (hence TDK feeling like a crime drama, Logan feeling like a western, but BP feeling like a superhero movie).
    People have an issue with it because it's black movie.

People have an issue with it because of the reaction it got versus OTHERS.

People have an issue with it because of the aftermath it caused. How many black kids are now reading thanks to HIM? How many black owned business got more money thanks to HIM? How many black lead books are we now seeing thanks to him?
    Who did this film MOTIVATE?

We have had Black Panther merchandise-a kid could get a gift wrapped in Wakandan gift wrap or give Wakanda valentines or buy a Wakanda mug, tie, shorts or whatever. When was the last time that happened? A black guy not linked to a team or legacy doing that?

That is what so many are mad about.

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I think Begins is a better movie too for the record.

I'm in the "polish/refine, don't start over" camp personally. BP 100% nailed and exceeded expectations on the "hard" stuff, just need to polish up the "easy" stuff IMO.
    Well the last thing I want is a failure. I'm ok with being upset about a movie not being absolutely perfect, lol.

I watched A Wrinkle in Time recently and man I think about just how bad things could have went.... I love Ava and was sure she could have made a great Black Panther movie as well. However, that showed that movie making isn't guaranteed greatness based on the director.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    This might be because I'm also a big MCU fan as well as being a BP fan, but I don't personally get it when people express disappointment in the "typical run of the mill Marvel stuff." I'm not saying every movie has to be the exact same, but superhero movies really are a genre of their own. Meaning that there are things to 'expect' in terms of these movies. Marvel largely know this, and that's why their films are nothing like a Logan, Watchmen, TDK etc.

There's nothing wrong with those movies but to me, the reason why I have respect for Black Panther more than those films is because it's unashamed of it's genre and has all the things you expect from it, but it is deeper and more thought provoking that most of these films. The fact that so many thinkpieces were written on the film, giving different opinions on what the film is about/trying to say like it being a critique on Trump's administration, Obama's administration, the Civil Rights era, colonialism & anti-colonialism, and more WITHOUT giving a definitive typical answer to most of these discussions (i.e., "Racism is Bad" in BlacKkKlansman and Green Book) is in itself an ACHIEVEMENT in storytelling, writing, directing for the genre AND for film.

Movies like Watchmen, Logan and TDK exist (as quality as they are) because--especially for Logan--certain filmmakers believe there's something wrong with the genre as it is, feel ashamed of the things that make superhero fiction works what they are, decide to do away with all of those things and then feel as though their films are better than the rest just because of that. Marvel Studios will never work with a director who thinks their ideas or style is automatically better than the genre itself or better than their house style (hence the recent non-troversy with the female director who was in talks to do Black Widow). Clearly Coogler doesn't think that way since he was signed on and instead of completely rearranging the formula, he showed what it is capable of.

People have issues with BP's nomination because it doesn't feel like what to typically expect from a Best Picture nomination, but feel Logan and TDK deserved it more because they 'look' like and are directed like those types of films (hence TDK feeling like a crime drama, Logan feeling like a western, but BP feeling like a superhero movie). The funny and sad thing is, this is the exact same kind of art-house snobbery that kept TDK and other superhero movies away from major nominations (aside from technical awards), yet it's being perpetuated by the fans of said snubbed films. You can't have it both ways, making films that ass kiss the critics and complain when the elitists look down on the genre, and then complain when one of your own film breaks the barrier.

BP2 just needs to be a polished up sequel and an even better film. It's not as if he showed he was bad at writing characters, worldbuilding, tackling tough themes, directing actors, basic storytelling and all that. All the weaker stuff from the first film is really just from a guy like him doing this for the first time (and probably not given the best teams/enough time).
    I think the typical run of the mill Marvel stuff kept it from constantly applying pressure (without being heavy handed) like Bindspotting and Sorry to Bother You. I think conceptually Black Panther is just as deep as those movies, but some of the messages get missed (not by us, but by others) because it goes back to the formula.

BP's ending battle was basically Do The Right Thing level of conflict escalation from different people. However, its subtext is sort of missed because the execution is not as crisp.

But again you gotta give Coogler credit for nailing that balance. Cause that is not easy. Poor Ava.
    Last edited by Klaue's Mixtape; 02-24-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Will that franchise house clean everybody out?

As I tell John Stewart fans-it does not matter what great development is done in Justice League with him.
    Same with Duke Thomas be it his own trade or the Batman & Outsiders book.

They STILL belong to a bigger franchise.
    If the main Green Lantern, Batman or Black Panther book writes them as CRAP-that is the book a LARGER number of folks will see.

So you have a character that is a HARDER sell if they get a solo book. Unless that book pulls a Shuri or Simon & Jessica and out sell the main book. In the latter's case that would be the trade sales.

For that person you are referencing-she is in a gray area. I see Coates Panther run having a field day in sales and checks out the library more than her own franchise.
    She's fine for now but once they get their act together-Houston we have a problem.
    Feige will be her white savior. He'll mandate her the leader and, just like with Starlord and Carol, her franchise will be forced to synergy

Or, Feige will delegate her to wallpaper, Rhodey with boobs, in which case it's just another Tuesday in her franchise and her fate is sealed. Forever

Isn't that exciting?
    Black Panther vs Thor
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baO2V3qTuMc&t=3s
    Ref: Avengers Assemble Season 5: Black Panther Quest Ep13

I saw where Coogler is producing a movie featuring Kaluuya and LaKeith Stanfield.

You think Stanfield now has an inside track to getting into BP2? As Achebe?

Also here is an actor I forgot about who would be GREAT as well.

Ashton Sanders from Moonlight and the upcoming Native Son.
    Last edited by Klaue's Mixtape; 02-24-2019 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    BP2 just needs to be a polished up sequel and an even better film. It's not as if he showed he was bad at writing characters, worldbuilding, tackling tough themes, directing actors, basic storytelling and all that. All the weaker stuff from the first film is really just from a guy like him doing this for the first time (and probably not given the best teams/enough time).
    BP2 gon be a classic
    Black Panther vs Thor

LaKeith as a modernized Achebe or revamped Tetu would be lit

The chick playin Monica Rambeau's mom said she really wanted to be in BP but of the two roles she tried for she was too young lookin for one of them and too old looking for the other. The too old role was the Shuri role but she said it was for the best bc Leticia killed it.

I guess the other role was BP's mom?
    Black Panther vs Thor

The chick playin Monica Rambeau's mom said she really wanted to be in BP but of the two roles she tried for she was too young lookin for one of them and too old looking for the other. The too old role was the Shuri role but she said it was for the best bc Leticia killed it.
    I think LaKeith would have the perfect mix of terror and humor.

However, that Ashton Sanders dude is one to watch out for.

I guess the other role was BP's mom?
    Got a link?

The guy who played Black Manta and the guy who played Bushmaster also auditioned for M'Baku. Going to be crazy to see all the great talent auditioning for the sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    Got a link?

The guy who played Black Manta and the guy who played Bushmaster also auditioned for M'Baku. Going to be crazy to see all the great talent auditioning for the sequel.
    I never leave home without one!

https://www.popsugar.com/entertainme...l-45733621/amp

5. Fun Fact: Lynch Auditioned For Black Panther and Almost Got Picked

In the midst of our interview, Lynch revealed that she's a longtime Marvel fan and had made it a goal for herself to get into a Marvel movie. She really had her sights set on Black Panther. "Literally, I was begging my manager to get me in Black Panther. I was in LA and they hadn't started yet, because they were just finishing up on Spider-Man," she recalled. "And I said, but I'm here now, and I could just do a tape. I'll make up sides, and I'll just do an audition, and it'll be great."

By now, the end of the story should be clear. "It didn't happen. I was shooting a series at the time, and sent them the tape, and they loved [it] . . . and then there was an age issue, like, I looked too young for one, and too old for the other, and that didn't happen. I'm really happy, because in the end, Letitia Wright got it, and she is bombastic.
    Black Panther vs Thor

Well the last thing I want is a failure. I'm ok with being upset about a movie not being absolutely perfect, lol.

I watched A Wrinkle in Time recently and man I think about just how bad things could have went.... I love Ava and was sure she could have made a great Black Panther movie as well. However, that showed that movie making isn't guaranteed greatness based on the director.

I think the typical run of the mill Marvel stuff kept it from constantly applying pressure (without being heavy handed) like Bindspotting and Sorry to Bother You. I think conceptually Black Panther is just as deep as those movies, but some of the messages get missed (not by us, but by others) because it goes back to the formula.

BP's ending battle was basically Do The Right Thing level of conflict escalation from different people. However, its subtext is sort of missed because the execution is not as crisp.

But again you gotta give Coogler credit for nailing that balance. Cause that is not easy. Poor Ava.
    Actually, the only people that miss the subtle nuance are those who choose to ignore it. And those who hate on the movie and claim it's overrated. In which case who cares what they think? Numbers don't lie, and neither do the facts and there is a reason for why we have so much BP news a year after the movie came out. (It's not because it's overrated or over hyped, you can't fake this stuff, no matter what hype will dissipate if the movie doesn't live up to it and it exceeded it)

Astonishing Member

Feige will be her white savior. He'll mandate her the leader and, just like with Starlord and Carol, her franchise will be forced to synergy

Or, Feige will delegate her to wallpaper, Rhodey with boobs, in which case it's just another Tuesday in her franchise and her fate is sealed. Forever

Isn't that exciting?
    To be fair, Storm has led the X-Men several times and she's clearly a character with major potential in the franchise. I don't blame Marvel for correcting course and treating the best black female character in comics the way she should be treated. And while I prefer T'Challa and Storm together I'm cool with them not bringing that relationship to the big screen as long as they can both get shine elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Actually, the only people that miss the subtle nuance are those who choose to ignore it. And those who hate on the movie and claim it's overrated. In which case who cares what they think? Numbers don't lie, and neither do the facts and there is a reason for why we have so much BP news a year after the movie came out. (It's not because it's overrated or over hyped, you can't fake this stuff, no matter what hype will dissipate if the movie doesn't live up to it and it exceeded it)
    I just don't want to give haters anything to latch on. Now the fact they are still talking about a couple of bad shots of CGI and a couple cliche story moments prove they have no real argument. However, I want them with NONE for the sequel.

Let their isms be more clear next time around and not hide behind a few objective things.

Isn't that exciting?
    It's kinda safe that her fans are forced to live in the 90s and have nothing else to really go off of other then long past glory days.

How Nakia, Okoye and Shuri will help this lost soul find her path in her own franchise

What if we're overlooking the obvious villain for the sequel?

M'Baku?

The first movie developed him enough for us to care about him.

I just don't want to give haters anything to latch on. Now the fact they are still talking about a couple of bad shots of CGI and a couple cliche story moments prove they have no real argument. However, I want them with NONE for the sequel.

Let their isms be more clear next time around and not hide behind a few objective things.
    Even if the movie was perfect in every sense of the word, it wouldn't matter. Haters hate and they will find anything to hate on, even if it were something like "I hate at how at how 43 min into the movie they cut to the next scene .0001 secs too soon. It ruined the movie"

You can't please the haters, so don't try to. Again all the hate we see in Reddit or YouTube? Those thousands, of haters are drowned out by the millions who loved the movie. So why worry about Joe smoe on YouTubes opinion when you got BP nominated as the Oscars? Plus article's saying how the audience votes that BP should take home the major Oscar noms?? I mean... Really?