Page 456 of 744 FirstFirst ... 356406446452453454455456457458459460466506556 ... LastLast
Results 6,826 to 6,840 of 11160

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    I'm with you. I know his action scenes leave much to be desired, but the symbolism that his work is saturated in says a whole lot. His last two issues put T'Challa and Bast on the map in a huge way. We see why Bast is Bast. I absolutely love black woman Bast! And I love that we see why she has such an affinity for T'Challa. And I just love when his intellect is on full display alongside his prowess as a martial artist.

Funny thing is I use this thread to gauge just how much black love is present in his solo. Issues that aren't solo used to build up T'Challa (despite the fact that any care and detail put into his corner of the MU ultimately strengthens him by default because he's the lynchpin) its seen as anti-black male. I never get the impression that self reflection is a desired quality in the most influential black male comic character to enter the zeitgeist.
    I liked Zeni-Bast in the most recent issue as well. I also really liked her power display. I think self-reflection has been a major theme in Coates' work and I think overall he has handled it well. As you stated, the action scenes could be better but his stories overall have been enjoyable.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I wanted to comment on this. Thing is, i don't need the next writer doing Coates S1 numbers. They don't need to do BIG sales. I'm more concerned with CONSISTENT sales.
    I don't even really care about sales to be honest.

Move ingrained BP into always getting a solo for at least the next 7ish years.

I would just like a great story line please. Great storylines get remembered and bring in new fans. The fact we have to still reference Priest as a go to is ridiculous. Coates work so far won't survive the test of time. They simply aren't great stories. They aren't memorable at all. The fan base of the character are too split on the book for it to be great. Only real people who recommend Coates run were introduced to the comic character through Coates run. All they know is T'chumpa.

I just want an actual comic book writer to write him. Is that too much to ask?

Look what happened to Captain Marvel... Marvel finally gave up on the random female novelists/non comic writer and gave the book to Kelly... combined it with the movie and now Carol is finally selling a healthy amount.

Whatever lol. Thanks to MCU, Pantherjack, all the kids books out, and toys... next generation is going ot grow up thinking BP is cool as ****, not Tchumpa lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I don't even really care about sales to be honest.

Move ingrained BP into always getting a solo for at least the next 7ish years.

I would just like a great story line please. Great storylines get remembered and bring in new fans. The fact we have to still reference Priest as a go to is ridiculous. Coates work so far won't survive the test of time. They simply aren't great stories. They aren't memorable at all. The fan base of the character are too split on the book for it to be great. Only real people who recommend Coates run were introduced to the comic character through Coates run. All they know is T'chumpa.

I just want an actual comic book writer to write him. Is that too much to ask?

Look what happened to Captain Marvel... Marvel finally gave up on the random female novelists/non comic writer and gave the book to Kelly... combined it with the movie and now Carol is finally selling a healthy amount.

Whatever lol. Thanks to MCU, Pantherjack, all the kids books out, and toys... next generation is going ot grow up thinking BP is cool as ****, not Tchumpa lol
    The reason I concern myself with consistent sales is because if you get a good writer telling good stories, but (like Priest at the time) has sales that don't show how good the book actually is, it can cause a change in the creative team that may not be the best for the character.
    For instance I think Narcisse could of been the next Hudlin. Could of elevated the character to a new level while bridging the gap between the different writer's and consolidating his origin and tech into a coherent and clear standard.

My issue also is that Coates is getting this big push, like people are trying to convince others that his stories are so great, while trying to phase out Hudlin's contributions. Yes we reference Priest alot but WitBP still to me holds as THE go to for a story that just tells you who T'Challa is, and what he and Wakanda stand for.

It's as you said though luckily we have had Redjack, MCU and other stuff to keep BP around as well as him being the chairman of Avengers at the moment is a nice place to be. Now his solo just needs the CM treatment, we know Redjack wanted in on that. I'm sure he could find a way to tell his stories despite it being different then where Coates is trying to go

BP and Shuri make an appearance in the latest issue of the Invaders for anyone interested

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    BP and Shuri make an appearance in the latest issue of the Invaders for anyone interested
    I'm still gonna have to get used to comic Shuri the scientist thing
    Last edited by MindofShadow; 08-14-2019 at 08:09 AM.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    Yeah, Shuri figured out how to turn people into water breathers. Drawbacks aside, I suppose that could be a handy trick down the line.

The Wakanda issue of Ironheart was ok. It a gad a good heartfelt moment, but is mostly average.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I'm still gonna have to get used to comic Shuri the scientist thing
    I'm interested to know what direction y'all would have in mind for Shuri. I think Marvel is stuck between super scientist and T'Challa-lite and they seemed to have dropped the whole mystic angle altogether. I can't help but feel that's part of the reason Okoye seems to be getting a bit of a push in the mainstream MU compared to her, because she's kinda easier to wrap your head around. Quippy warrior bodyguard is easier to write than bringing together all the elements Shuri has nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I'm interested to know what direction y'all would have in mind for Shuri. I think Marvel is stuck between super scientist and T'Challa-lite and they seemed to have dropped the whole mystic angle altogether. I can't help but feel that's part of the reason Okoye seems to be getting a bit of a push in the mainstream MU compared to her, because she's kinda easier to wrap your head around. Quippy warrior bodyguard is easier to write than bringing together all the elements Shuri has nowadays.
    I dont mind the tech angle, but I think if she's not going to be a standard "sidekick" or go back to being a filler page supporting character, they need to Nightwing her an move her to her own city and let her sink or swim.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    I dont mind the tech angle, but I think if she's not going to be a standard "sidekick" or go back to being a filler page supporting character, they need to Nightwing her an move her to her own city and let her sink or swim.
    Champions or a new Young Avengers team.

Okoye has her spot in BP and no one really cares about Mystic Shuri.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Champions or a new Young Avengers team.

Okoye has her spot in BP and no one really cares about Mystic Shuri.

I think Champions got cancelled. I don't think it's one of those titles that will come back unless the core members books get canceled too.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Another city in Wakanda or in the US? I like the idea of Shuri holding her own title, but I'm kinda lost on what I'd like to see from her as far as concepts. I don't think having the same skillset as T'Challa is the right recipe for success but being all about tech feels like a soft retcon. The mystic angle honestly felt pretty organic considering her death and revival. And it's not something T'Challa's really interested in with his distrust of magic. Coates just botched it by making it a plot device. Her solo (what I read at least) gave it some depth and I kinda wish it stayed around.

Another city in Wakanda or in the US? I like the idea of Shuri holding her own title, but I'm kinda lost on what I'd like to see from her as far as concepts. I don't think having the same skillset as T'Challa is the right recipe for success but being all about tech feels like a soft retcon. The mystic angle honestly felt pretty organic considering her death and revival. And it's not something T'Challa's really interested in with his distrust of magic. Coates just botched it by making it a plot device. Her solo (what I read at least) gave it some depth and I kinda wish it stayed around.
    Her powers are back as of the final issue. I'd set her up with her own Tech startup up in Oakland next to the WK learning center. Than just go with standard comic stories to start out and expand from there.

I personally don't mind Shuri being a genius type in the comics. There are lots of geniuses in the comics... it won't step on his toes really. SHe will just show up when he does and they will do science things together every once in awhile. My biggest issue on what they did to Shuri was the ridiculous de-aging and acting like a kid from A WARRIOR QUEEN.

RISE or Pantherjack shuri is what I had in mind with Shuri. So, T'challa's Q with sass who can kick ass as needed. The mystic angle is just stupid.

T'challa basically has two sidekicks these days.... Okoye is the action side kick and Shuri is the lab sidekick. Just keep the roles as they are and nothing more.

Shuri isn't a main title character and doesn't deserve being treated like one. She is support, let her support.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, Shuri figured out how to turn people into water breathers. Drawbacks aside, I suppose that could be a handy trick down the line.
    what are you serious? I need to check this out.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!