Page 554 of 744 FirstFirst ... 54454504544550551552553554555556557558564604654 ... LastLast
Results 8,296 to 8,310 of 11160

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Hudlin did the same thing though. Obviously he brought Storm into the mythos in the first place, and he seemingly tried retconning the Spider-Man rogue Morlun into the lion god. Cross pollonating franchises to try and attract readers from different franchises is a pretty common practice.
    There's a difference. First off. Storm never took precedence over BP. She was a supporting cast member and body T'Challa and Storm shined because Hudlin made it clear who the title character was. And morlun was used and then done with. Eden and Storm have been around for 3 years and the symbiote powering up N'Jadaka which literally could of been anything else BP related or just something new to the mythos, as well as the Crystal's, another x office thing, being critical to the success of the maroons.. it's lazy and it's stupid. But yeah if you like unoriginal stuff to be added to what's essentially a fresh start and unique story that's cool too

BANNED

Hudlin did the same thing though. Obviously he brought Storm into the mythos in the first place, and he seemingly tried retconning the Spider-Man rogue Morlun into the lion god. Cross pollonating franchises to try and attract readers from different franchises is a pretty common practice.
    Did Reginald Hudlin disenfranchise T'Challa the sameway Coates is actively doing, as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    There's a difference. First off. Storm never took precedence over BP. She was a supporting cast member and body T'Challa and Storm shined because Hudlin made it clear who the title character was. And morlun was used and then done with. Eden and Storm have been around for 3 years and the symbiote powering up N'Jadaka which literally could of been anything else BP related or just something new to the mythos, as well as the Crystal's, another x office thing, being critical to the success of the maroons.. it's lazy and it's stupid. But yeah if you like unoriginal stuff to be added to what's essentially a fresh start and unique story that's cool too
    Yeah, Morlun was a one shot. But in that one he took over then killed the lion cult after possibly retconning the lion god into a Spiderman rogue, before he invades Wakanda and murders Mbaku and the majority of Tchallas male supporting cast. And thats in the same story where he gave Doom, another non BP villain, the biggest most one sided defeat of BPs life. A loss BP spent the better part of a decade recovering from.

Did a BP rogue do anything even remotely close to what Morlun or Doom did in Hudlins run? Did BP rogues even do anything at all notable m that entire run?

Really the only actual BP rogue he bothered giving any spotlight to was Killmonger, before he was defeated and killed not by Tchalla but my Spectrum, a non BP character who Wakandans also seemed to think was a goddess. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Make us feel bad. Heh. Won't happen.

They try to paint BP fans with one brush. I guarantee you that there are Storm fans who post the exact same things when Storm isn't being written they way they want.
    Lol. No one’s trying to make y’all feel bad so you can get off of your sad high horse, sir. And no you are correct, there are Storm fans who consistently read(and purchase/give monetary validity) to books where Storm was consistently not well written. I’d say that their incessant cyclical whining over something they know is not going to just going change with a new issue was nonsensical too. It’s the expectation that something will change about the way a writer portrays your favorite character that surprises me lol. As if you’d catch me dead, acknowledging and reviewing and pouring over every issue of X-men: Gold, which as far as I’m concerned, was not featuring Storm at all due to her horrible characterization. It was less so me saying that y’all “shouldn’t” read your own title character book and more so me not understanding why as BP fans would you keep supporting/reading a book that you claim on the monthly does you and T’challa dirty?

Anyway. This will no doubt be taken poorly since as a “Storm fan” I should keep my opinions on BP out of the BP thread, as many of you have requested. That’s fine. But just know that as a fan of Storm and BP, I actually do want them BOTH to be written well. I actually do agree with a lot of your qualms with the book in regards to it’s exhaustingly long winded storylines that seem to meander between dull at some points and not great showings for T’challa at other points. It seems stagnant at times and I agree that he has drastically altered Wakanda’s mythological, economic, and cultural landscape much to the chagrin of a lot (not all) of you. I read through this thread every day just as I do with the Storm thread so I do see all of your opinions when it comes to these things. So I’m not just coming over here because Storm had a good showing and saying “i just get why y’all don’t like it”. I do get it. I just assumed that you were buying and reading the book anyway. Which seemed counterproductive and confusing to me if you really want a change in writer? Believe it or not, I actually want you all to enjoy Black Panther’s title book. It’s more fun as fans of both characters when the fandoms are happy and enjoying the storyline. Alas, I shall see myself out before I’m asked to. Just wanted to clarify my initial post since many responded to it and seemingly took it the wrong way.

Yeah, Morlun was a one shot. But in that one he took over then killed the lion cult after possibly retconning the lion god into a Spiderman rogue, before he invades Wakanda and murders Mbaku and the majority of Tchallas male supporting cast. And thats in the same story where he gave Doom, another non BP villain, the biggest most one sided defeat of BPs life. A loss BP spent the better part of a decade recovering from.

Did a BP rogue do anything even remotely close to what Morlun or Doom did in Hudlins run? Did BP rogues even do anything at all notable m that entire run?

Really the only actual BP rogue he bothered giving any spotlight to was Killmonger, before he was defeated and killed not by Tchalla but my Spectrum, a non BP character who Wakandans also seemed to think was a goddess. Just saying.
    Merlin is not related to the lion god. They just say unleash the lion, but they call him Morlun when he arrives. They sacrifice themselves to give him energy. And all this happens after the reboot so Tchalla is a supporting character because Shimuri is the main character.

Killmongers first sacking the the central city was pretty bad. He had dinosaurs walking through the capital.

Tchalla wasn't trying to defeat Killmonger, he just wanted to distract him while Shuri was rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Merlin is not related to the lion god. They just say unleash the lion, but they call him Morlun when he arrives. They sacrifice themselves to give him energy. And all this happens after the reboot so Tchalla is a supporting character because Shimuri is the main character.

Killmongers first sacking the the central city was pretty bad. He had dinosaurs walking through the capital.

Tchalla wasn't trying to defeat Killmonger, he just wanted to distract him while Shuri was rescued.
    The lion cult seeminly summon the lion, and Morlun shows up. Thry don't seem terribly surprised its him. That to me came off as a possible attempt at retconnoing Morlun into the lion god. Not that it stuck either way.

But I'll agree he at least gave Killmonger a bit of love (even keeping the never lost to Tchalla streak intact before having Monica kill him).

The lion cult seeminly summon the lion, and Morlun shows up. Thry don't seem terribly surprised its him. That to me came off as a possible attempt at retconnoing Morlun into the lion god. Not that it stuck either way.

But I'll agree he at least gave Killmonger a bit of love (even keeping the never lost to Tchalla streak intact before having Monica kill him).
    I don't think they're lion cult, they're wearing headpieces of multiple animals. And the caption says " on the far side of the African continent ".

I was wrong that they sacrificed themselves, but they're also not important or Wakanda. Just a religious cult that worships animal totems. That's what I'm seeing anyway.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Why are you posting so much truth?
    It's kinda my thing. I practically make way for it.

I don't think they're lion cult, they're wearing headpieces of multiple animals. And the caption says " on the far side of the African continent ".

I was wrong that they sacrificed themselves, but they're also not important or Wakanda. Just a religious cult that worships animal totems. That's what I'm seeing anyway.
    By themselves, I suppose the cult wasn't that important. Though I'm not sure I'd say the same about Mbaku, Wakabi, and Zuri. On a purely personal level he might have killed more people Tchalla cares about than anyone aside from maybe Klaw or Doom. So for a one shot, the guy left his mark.

As far as them being the lion cult ... If that wasn't the lion cult summoning the lion, then it was simply a poorly executed scene.

BANNED

And your point is what exactly?

You talk as if before Reginald Hudlin, T'Challa and Doom had never been shown in conflict.

During the Curse Of The Vampires storyline that ran the X-titles a few years ago, Dracula was front and centre with a whole plethora of vampiric threats.

I didn't see anyone commenting about Drac not being a core X-Men villain.

Doom is one of the big bads in the MU whose megalomaniacal tendencies have him arrogantly trying to lay claim to natural resources he has no business trying to purloin and as such, it's only natural that Doom's lust for world domination, would bring him into conflict with T'Challa.

What T'Challa's own core of personal villains has to do with anything is anyone's guess, but at the end of the day, villains are only as relevant to a story as a writer chooses to make them.

By themselves, I suppose the cult wasn't that important. Though I'm not sure I'd say the same about Mbaku, Wakabi, and Zuri. On a purely personal level he might have killed more people Tchalla cares about than anyone aside from maybe Klaw or Doom. So for a one shot, the guy left his mark.

As far as them being the lion cult ... If that wasn't the lion cult summoning the lion, then it was simply a poorly executed scene.
    Like the 86' Transformers movie, gotta clear the deck for new characters. I didnt mind because they were support characters, wasn't like Jiraya dying. Lol.

And Hudlin didnt like the spectre around M'Baku which is why he was only used for jokes and insults then killed.

I dont think it's a poorly executed scene so much as our assumptions at the time. In retrospect, there was nothing there to assume anything about a lion god.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ororo101 View Post
    Lol. No one’s trying to make y’all feel bad so you can get off of your sad high horse, sir. And no you are correct, there are Storm fans who consistently read(and purchase/give monetary validity) to books where Storm was consistently not well written. I’d say that their incessant cyclical whining over something they know is not going to just going change with a new issue was nonsensical too. It’s the expectation that something will change about the way a writer portrays your favorite character that surprises me lol. As if you’d catch me dead, acknowledging and reviewing and pouring over every issue of X-men: Gold, which as far as I’m concerned, was not featuring Storm at all due to her horrible characterization. It was less so me saying that y’all “shouldn’t” read your own title character book and more so me not understanding why as BP fans would you keep supporting/reading a book that you claim on the monthly does you and T’challa dirty?

Anyway. This will no doubt be taken poorly since as a “Storm fan” I should keep my opinions on BP out of the BP thread, as many of you have requested. That’s fine. But just know that as a fan of Storm and BP, I actually do want them BOTH to be written well. I actually do agree with a lot of your qualms with the book in regards to it’s exhaustingly long winded storylines that seem to meander between dull at some points and not great showings for T’challa at other points. It seems stagnant at times and I agree that he has drastically altered Wakanda’s mythological, economic, and cultural landscape much to the chagrin of a lot (not all) of you. I read through this thread every day just as I do with the Storm thread so I do see all of your opinions when it comes to these things. So I’m not just coming over here because Storm had a good showing and saying “i just get why y’all don’t like it”. I do get it. I just assumed that you were buying and reading the book anyway. Which seemed counterproductive and confusing to me if you really want a change in writer? Believe it or not, I actually want you all to enjoy Black Panther’s title book. It’s more fun as fans of both characters when the fandoms are happy and enjoying the storyline. Alas, I shall see myself out before I’m asked to. Just wanted to clarify my initial post since many responded to it and seemingly took it the wrong way.
    This was actually quite a balanced post that I found interesting to read.

No one has asked you to "leave" the thread and the likelihood of any such request being made is nil.

Like the 86' Transformers movie, gotta clear the deck for new characters. I didnt mind because they were support characters, wasn't like Jiraya dying. Lol.

And Hudlin didnt like the spectre around M'Baku which is why he was only used for jokes and insults then killed.

I dont think it's a poorly executed scene so much as our assumptions at the time. In retrospect, there was nothing there to assume anything about a lion god.
    Tranformers cleared the deck to sell more toys. Didn't like it, but I understood it. Killing off Mbaku, Wkabi, Zuri, and Killmonger in the previous arc wasn't really necessary.

But if youre going to do it, at least don't use a random one off character from another franchise never to be seen again. Building up Mirlun really didn't do a whole lot. Make it worth the sacrifice.

As far as the assumptions that its the lion god ... theyre summoning the lion in a temple with a giant lion on the floor. Its more sensible to assume they were summoning the lion god than Morlun. If hes not the lion god why on earth is Morlun being called a lion? You can leave the lipn stuff out, and it actually makes a lot more sense in hindsight.

Tranformers cleared the deck to sell more toys. Didn't like it, but I understood it. Killing off Mbaku, Wkabi, Zuri, and Killmonger in the previous arc wasn't really necessary.

But if youre going to do it, at least don't use a random one off character from another franchise never to be seen again. Building up Mirlun really didn't do a whole lot. Make it worth the sacrifice.

As far as the assumptions that its the lion god ... theyre summoning the lion in a temple with a giant lion on the floor. Its more sensible to assume they were summoning the lion god than Morlun. If hes not the lion god why on earth is Morlun being called a lion? You can leave the lipn stuff out, and it actually makes a lot more sense in hindsight.
    If they were still alive wouldn't it be possible people would have said "where is W'kabi and Zuri" when they introduced new characters?

But they're still just support characters. Who kills them doesn't matter.

If they were still alive wouldn't it be possible people would have said "where is W'kabi and Zuri" when they introduced new characters?

But they're still just support characters. Who kills them doesn't matter.
    Sure. Supporting characters often aren't used ... But that doesn't mean they necessarily need to be killed off.

Okoye was shunted off into limbo when Priests run ended, but look at her now.

As far as it not mattering who kills them... It's about making stories. You can use their deaths and milk the drama for stories. A villain who murdered Tchalla best friends potentially has a story to tell.