Page 639 of 744 FirstFirst ... 139539589629635636637638639640641642643649689739 ... LastLast
Results 9,571 to 9,585 of 11160

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Simple answer is no. You'd have to have read Hickmans New Avengers through Secret Wars to understand the lead in. And at least the first trade of either Priests or Hudlins runs to get a grasp of the character.

Not having enough starter info was a complaint from customers at my LCS.
    I am still currently reading Hickmans avenger run. I’ll check this comic out once I’m done.

Many Thanks xx
    Yikes, my grammar has gone to ****. Rip

General Okoye: "Why was she up there all this time?"

Get Hectic!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Right there protecting the people now... So again they are now in limbo because this is the Black panther title, not World of Wakanda. And yes the wives I. Training wasn't Good. But that was the point of it and it was handled In A smart way. Coates butchered it and in it's current iteration we won't be seeing the DM much at all I guarantee it.
    My brother, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the wives in training Dora Milaje aspect of Priests take on the BP mythos.

As DigiCom cited in an earlier post on the subject, look into the history of the Dahomey Amazons who were an actual army of African Warrior women dedicated to protecting their King and recognised accordingly as being amongst the most disciplined and fierce warriors of that African kingdom.

One of the biggest mistakes people of African descent make, is allowing others to decide what is appropriate even as they mock cultures they lack the ability to comprehend let alone respect.

BANNED

I'll say this. The thing with Hudlin wasn't gender bias with Doom or Hercules. With Doom that was purely T'Challa and him in a pissing contest and his ego got i. The way, if you reread that, he doesn't do anything that outd her down. He's upset and says he will find his own way out of dooms place, he doesn't insult her or say anything about her gender the next scene they make up abd joke about it. The Hercules thing, she wasbt a cheerleader because she was already fighting fake Thor. There wasn't anything insulting that Hudlin did with her, its a simple difference in power but Hudlin handled it fine, definitely not a hiccup
    Ezyo1000, look at you exposing more of our SHARED bias. You and I both know Hudlin’s intent behind those scenes. At the same time, you and I BOTH know that MANY of her fans made arguments to the contrary. The argument is flimsy, but it’s not hard for me to understand why MANY OF HER FANS felt that way. I’ll do you one better. I’m damn sure you and I BOTH have witnessed some of her fans use her throwaway lines to Psylocke and Magneto about T’Challa “beating her” as their “proof” that he was a bad husband. It was in the aftermath of AvX and it went completely against the actual story to paint a different picture. She was the one that got violent before tossing the ring. We’ve seen that angle used despite the disingenuous nature of the argument all together. The argument itself may be flimsy, but her words are NOT a complete lie, given he did place hands on her in World’s Apart. I’m also aware it’s a narrative set forth by writers that had written X-books previously or later went on to do so.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    On the contrary.

Shade thrown against someone else's culture says a lot more about the imperialistic mindstate that feels that everything outside of its aegis, is primitive and uncivilised.

I can't think of anything more arrogant than that but hey, we live in a world where indigenous peoples are currently being murdered to death in the Amazon by a Brazilian state that feels their culture is superior to that of the original people who maintained the land in ecologically balanced equilibrium.
    I was going to respond to that post, but you said it much better that I could have.

Right there protecting the people now... So again they are now in limbo because this is the Black panther title, not World of Wakanda. And yes the wives I. Training wasn't Good. But that was the point of it and it was handled In A smart way. Coates butchered it and in it's current iteration we won't be seeing the DM much at all I guarantee it.
    I agree we won't see MUCH of the DM... they're background supporting characters, and aside from Shuri none of the BP supporting cast is really seen all that much. Prior to Coates run, when was the last time we even say Okoye?

And I don't necessarily disagree that Priest handled the whole wives in training thing well... but I'd still say long term it's better that this aspect be completely removed. And that's what Coates did. A potentially problematic element is now gone.

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    Hello Dear Friends,

I am planning to check out Blank Panther, is the current run new reader friendly
    Yes and no.

The roots of the story are the very very very end of Hickmans Secret Wars (I think literally the last 5 pages or whatever). But honestly if you were to just start reading it without any prior knowledge of that book, you would be fine. The entire run is based on a mystery of exactly how Black Panther got into this situation. Heck, you're not even sure if this is the REAL Black Panther. You're not supposed to know exactly what's going on or why any of this is happening... it's a mystery. A brand new reader would be roughly in the same boat as one caught up for the majority of the book as it largely revolves around brand new characters in a brand new situation.

Lightbulb MindofShadow, Informative post!

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    That absolute state of this thread. Bast have mercy. At least when people go on a "piss on Coates" fest in here, it comes from a place of fandom. Not this... sunken place type comments.

Who wants to play a game? These are straight facts, no chasers, no opinion, just numbers. Ok some opinion, based on fact though lol.

- BP v7 #16 is the 8th lowest issue sold in Black Panther history.

- If you limit it to T'challa lead issues (aka throw out Kasper Cole), BPv7 #16 is the 5th lowest issue sold in Black Panther History. The top 4 were all Liss run.

- T'challa lead Priest issues never sold under 20K in 49 issues with no marketing gimmicks, no renumbering, no event cross overs. He didnt fall to BP#16 range until his 60th issue using Kasper Cole. For the non Black Panther fans in here, remember, Priest lasted 62 issues with no gimmicks, no renumber, no crossovers, barely any marketing, no movies, no TV, taking an absolute dead character and re-inventing him... WITH editorial interference being forced to use Vin Diesel look alike Kasper towards the end.

- Hudlin's lowest issue was 19,455.

- Mayberry's lowest issue was 17,881

- BPv7, #16 is Coates 40th BP Issue. Priest 40th issue sold 20,188 (and held that number until issue 52! aka had a dedicated fan base until nuked by Kasper).

- Hudlin's 40th issue he wrote was actually vol5 #2, which sold 33,750. The 40th issue of vol4 was SWAD, written by Aaron. Hudlin's 38th issue sold 19,455.

- Priest average sales number was 25,241. If you throw out Kasper run, its 27,250.

- Hudlin's entire volumes averaged 35K. Use only volume 4 (his main one), and its 37,314. If you use issues Hudlin actually wrote (throw out mayberry and aaron), and its 37,114.

- Coates current average is 42,450. Which is obviously beyond solid... until you dig a bit.

- If you throat out Coates #1's (aka marketing gimmicks that do not reflect writing quality at all) and his intial legacy renumber marketing gimmick, and his average plummets to 34,462

- Hell, if you throw out JUST Coates initial #1 that did 200+ K sales that literally had absolutely nothing to do with writing quality and was purely based on speculation and hype, his average drops from 42,450 to 37,180!

- The entire basis of "Coates is the best seller of BP ever!" is all because of ONE FREAKING ISSUE! that had everyting to do with Hickman, years of no black panther solos, and Coates literary fame and absolutely NOTHING to do with Coate's writing itself. ONE ISSUE!! You throw out that one issue and Coate's SOLD NO BETTER THAT HUDLIN despite a billion dollar movie, despite "twitter followers," despite cartoons, despite merchandise everywhere.

- Let Coates keep his legacy renumbering, just take out his two #1's, drops to 34,991.

- If you think I am just chery picking, throw out Hudlins' two #1's and his mariage issue... 35,754.

MindofShadow,

I have to save this most enlightening post!

Thank you.

I can only imagine the pleasure of fans if Reginald Hudlin was writing Black Panther now, with the same energy he had a decade ago, after a blockbuster movie that dramatically showcased an African utopia.

I daresay it would be a much happier tone on these boards by most of the regulars.

I sure as hell might actually buy the product.

Storm and all things X-related that have ever been the bane of the BP mythos post-Hudlin.

Practically all shade that's been thrown at the BP mythos as regards the Dora Milaje, has been initiated by X-writers and folks who gravitate towards that arm of the MU.

Storm's time as a perennial detailer if the BP mythos needs to be ended because at the end of the day, T'Challa's forward momentum within his solo has been stunted as regards positive character development and thematic growth just off of Coates usage of the aforementioned solo to push his own agenda.
    Brother Maj,

As I've said before, **** the X-Men.
    They are a white fantasy of oppression and until they have a United States born and raised black male star I don't want to hear **** from them.

Anyway, shout out to all the real ones on this board, you, MoS, Digicom, LastManStanding, Cville, Marvell2100, Flex, KingNomarch and of course Ezyo.

You men make this thread a pleasure to read.

Excelsior!

Daoud

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I agree we won't see MUCH of the DM... they're background supporting characters, and aside from Shuri none of the BP supporting cast is really seen all that much. Prior to Coates run, when was the last time we even say Okoye?
    That's a complicated question, since the Okoye Priest created (the one based on either Tyra Banks or Naomi Campbell, Nakia being the other) hasn't been seen since the end of his run. The one that looks/acts like MCU!Okoye (and hence a Hudlin Dora Milaje) is pretty much a new character.

I would actually say that we need to do some retcons here, because it's fairly difficult to equate Priest's teenage bodyguards with the warrior women Hudlin introduced. I mean, why would he have to all the way to Chicago to recruit Queen Divine Justice to replace Malice if he had a whole compound of "Grace Jones-looking chicks" to choose from?

If I were tasked with resolving the conflict, I would suggest that (as T'Challa needed bodyguards who could blend in) Nakia & Okoye were Dora Milaje trainees, who had not yet taken their final oaths (and hence, not received their head tattoos). When Nakia went rogue, there were no other novices old enough to take her place, necessitating the recruitment of QDJ.

Perhaps also due to Nakia's actions, T'Challa & the Dora leadership decided that having trainees live in the palace was a bad idea, which is why we don't see any other young Dora running around underfoot. They may have also decided to downplay the whole "potential wives" thing at the same time, to avoid the possibility of any other impressionable young girls going the Ginny Weasley route.

My brother, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the wives in training Dora Milaje aspect of Priests take on the BP mythos.

As DigiCom cited in an earlier post on the subject, look into the history of the Dahomey Amazons who were an actual army of African Warrior women dedicated to protecting their King and recognised accordingly as being amongst the most disciplined and fierce warriors of that African kingdom.

One of the biggest mistakes people of African descent make, is allowing others to decide what is appropriate even as they mock cultures they lack the ability to comprehend let alone respect.
    Exactly. Painting other cultures with a West/American view isn't always a good thing.

Coates took a part of Wakandan culture and looked at it in the worst way possible while ignoring the fact that in the history of Marvel producing Black Panther comics, none of the things he has personal issues with have occurred.

can we PLEASE get a new BP writer now??? BP# 17 15,260 copies. i feel like that episode of Family Guy where chris griffin was talking about Nicholas Cage. "how does he keep getting work?!"
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Exactly. Painting other cultures with a West/American view isn't always a good thing.

Coates took a part of Wakandan culture and looked at it in the worst way possible while ignoring the fact that in the history of Marvel producing Black Panther comics, none of the things he has personal issues with have occurred.
    The thing is, you can make the arguement that even the Wakandan culture itself didn't necessarily have a very high view of the Dora system. Under Priest T'Challa only recently brought it back... which meant the Wakandans themselves for a period of time stopped using the wives in training thing. And the only reason it was even brought back was to help keep the tribes from going to war with each other. Under Priest it was painted more as a necessarily evil than anything else. I don't think under Priest at least the system was ever intended to actually look good. Priest wasn't trying anywhere near as hard as Hudlin to make Wakanda come off utopian.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    That's a complicated question, since the Okoye Priest created (the one based on either Tyra Banks or Naomi Campbell, Nakia being the other) hasn't been seen since the end of his run. The one that looks/acts like MCU!Okoye (and hence a Hudlin Dora Milaje) is pretty much a new character.

I would actually say that we need to do some retcons here, because it's fairly difficult to equate Priest's teenage bodyguards with the warrior women Hudlin introduced. I mean, why would he have to all the way to Chicago to recruit Queen Divine Justice to replace Malice if he had a whole compound of "Grace Jones-looking chicks" to choose from?
    A lot of retcons are needed to really made the DM's makes sense. They went from 2 teenage body guards to a freaking army coming out of thin air. Too bad Rise didn't try to clean up some of this mess, as it did a pretty good job of streamlining the mythos.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    can we PLEASE get a new BP writer now??? BP# 17 15,260 copies. i feel like that episode of Family Guy where chris griffin was talking about Nicholas Cage. "how does he keep getting work?!"
    That almost another thousand copy slide. If this trend continues, it's going to be below 10,000 by the time this story ends. That will result in cancellation or creative team reboot.