Page 726 of 744 FirstFirst ... 226626676716722723724725726727728729730736 ... LastLast
Results 10,876 to 10,890 of 11160
    Mighty Member

Hey Jack! Is there anything you think we as diehards could do to help you get the book? You have several very articulate posters here ( myself NOT even included) who you could point at whatever barn needs storming (absolutely no pun intended) to get you a shot.
    Reality is for those who are afraid of science fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I'll see if I can find it. I don't remember if it was a podcast style or what. I may have to check the old BP thread to see of I can find it there
    These should help:

https://www.theatlantic.com/notes/20...challa/425097/

https://kotaku.com/spoiler-space-mor...ant-1769472432

Quote Originally Posted by MouserGrey View Post
    Hey Jack! Is there anything you think we as diehards could do to help you get the book? You have several very articulate posters here ( myself NOT even included) who you could point at whatever barn needs storming (absolutely no pun intended) to get you a shot.
    not really.

I don't think editors like public push campaigns. Based on our convos here, though, next time I'm talking to marvel editors I will bring it up.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Can we get a link to this interview where he states his take isn't meant to elevate T'Challa or Wakanda? Because I'm pretty skeptical he would flat out say that when promoting his book even if that's what he thought.
    A quick goggle search-

https://www.cbr.com/coates-wants-his...the-character/

The Black Panther I offer pulls from the archives of Marvel and the character's own long history. But it also pulls from the very real history of society -- from the pre-colonial era of Africa, the peasant rebellions that wracked Europe toward the end of the Middle Ages, the American Civil War, the Arab Spring, and the rise of ISIS."

While Coates starts off the piece by saying he's writing an "11-issue series" of "Black Panther," Marvel Comics Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso has stated that both Marvel and Coates expect to go well past that initial stretch of issues.

The piece is accompanied by a video where Coates himself verbalizes his history with the medium, what draws him to the "tremendously radical" Black Panther, and how he hopes his run on the title is received. "I want this to be the best 'Black Panther' run there's been," said Coates in the video. "I want this to be one of the best runs that Marvel has ever done, and I want it to elevate the stature of the character.
    I guess he missed doing that.

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...-black-panther

I spent a great deal of time researching the character trying to figure out what that was, and what occurred to me was the distinct possibility that a) maybe T'Challa does not like being a king and b) maybe Wakandans have come to believe they don't need a king.

So if a monarch can no longer ensure the security of its people, what good is he then? Why would the people not then decide to take their safety and security and the fate of their nation into their own hands?
    A question not asked of Aquaman, Namor, Doom, Wonder Woman, Black Bolt or Black Adam. Or Black Lightning-who is watching his "kingdom" while he plays with Batman.

https://www.theatlantic.com/notes/20...adored/490997/
    What we really tried to do is depict the Dora Milajae—as much as possible—from their own perspective, and not from T’Challa’s.

If you wondered where the rape camps idea came from....
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/z...ack-experience
    You think, OK, let's bring that as close to reality as we can. Even recognizing that it's a comic book, what would that look like? What would it mean? Given what I know of men in the real world and what I know of men throughout history, that's a situation that's ripe for abuse. So it occurred to me that some of the Dora Milaje might have issues with that.
    Black men abuse black woman horse that fake woke folks LOVE to ride on.

So I guess I don't recognize the same dichotomy. I think we write out of our experiences if we're writing right. If we're writing from anything else, we're not really being true.
    Translation-It's the hive mentality that fake woke folks live by. If one black man does a black woman wrong-it's acceptable for her to hold EVERY black man to that.
    Coolger's Black Panther or any of the others can exist in his mind because there has to be drama and wrong doing.
    This explains why Cap America is not being done the same way.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    not really.

I don't think editors like public push campaigns. Based on our convos here, though, next time I'm talking to marvel editors I will bring it up.
    Really? Just a little before my time in these boards it seems editorial caved to Storm fans to have the marriage annulled. I arrived just after the Namor tidal wave. Am i correct in this? Not asking you, but other more long time posters. Nearly 40 years a BP fan bit only here for around 10 or 12.

Edit:. My posts seem to halt the flow in their tracks on these boards from time to time as well......sigh
    Last edited by MouserGrey; 12-22-2019 at 06:53 PM.
    Reality is for those who are afraid of science fiction.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Thanks.
    You're welcome.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    A quick goggle search-

https://www.cbr.com/coates-wants-his...the-character/

I guess he missed doing that.

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...-black-panther

A question not asked of Aquaman, Namor, Doom, Wonder Woman, Black Bolt or Black Adam. Or Black Lightning-who is watching his "kingdom" while he plays with Batman.

https://www.theatlantic.com/notes/20...adored/490997/

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/z...ack-experience

Black men abuse black woman horse that fake woke folks LOVE to ride on.

Translation-It's the hive mentality that fake woke folks live by. If one black man does a black woman wrong-it's acceptable for her to hold EVERY black man to that.
    Coolger's Black Panther or any of the others can exist in his mind because there has to be drama and wrong doing.
    This explains why Cap America is not being done the same way.
    The line about him wanting to elevate the stature of the character is what I was looking for. It's what I expect a person to say when they are promoting a book.

Which isn't to say he necessarily suceeded in what he was trying to accomplish... but that at least was his stated intent.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Not saying this as a defense of Coates but -

* Aquaman gets asked these questions all the time since the Peter David run. I think he's on his fourth story of losing the throne since the New 52 started.

* Namor is generally a poor leader.

* Doom is a villain. As is Black Adam.

* Wonder Woman usually isn't the one running Themyscira.

* Black Lightning isn't a monarch. And he isn't the only superhero where he lives anyway.

Astonishing Member

Because I'm bored and have the time…

The Heliopolitans (the offspring of the Elder Gods Atum & Gaea), rarely took physical form, unlike their later brethren of the Greek & Norse pantheons. For example, the god Khonshu prefers to this day to act via a champion.

One of the (if not THE) oldest of these children was the feline deity Mafdet, who (along with the dragon spirit now known as Shou-Lao) empowered a champion one million years ago, in adventures alongside other gods, hosts, and avatars of the day. She (although gender is fairly arbitrary for a spirit) was an ardent defender against evil, and held sway over the living and the dead, and was known among her worshippers as "the first to be feared".

However, an unknown number of centuries later, Mafdet was approached in her temple in Egypt by an extradimensional sorcerer named Master Khan, who was trapping beings of mystical power in an attempt to boost his mystical might. Indeed, he had already trapped her former comrade in a spell that imprisoned his heart in a cauldron and was now looking for a being of opposite energies (yang rather than yin, in his terms) to balance it out.

Their battle raged, and while Khan did not achieve total victory, he did manage to split Mafdet into male and female parts, trapping the male half in a jade statue of a tiger. The remaining aspect became later known as Bast, and anchored herself to a mound of metal in a nation far to the south, empowering a new champion named Bashenga, the ruler of a nearby tribe.

(Something similar happened to Shou Lao, actually.)

Her other half, almost completely feral, took on a name based on the animal whose form he now possessed, calling himself the Tiger God. Eventually, parts of the statue were broken off by thieves, passing through many hands before coming into the possession of the Ayala family, who were his champions for several years.

(At one point, the statue was reconstructed, but the union was imperfect, leading to the amulets falling off in mid-transit and returning to their last possessor.)

The amulets were recently destroyed, and the spirit of the god himself trapped in a containment vessel, coincidentally by the champion of his other half. One wonders what would happen if those two halves met…

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

In order to keep things tidy, I am assuming that the Iron Fist & Black Panther seen in Avengers 1,000,000 BC are not part of the traditional lineages for those characters, keeping the rest of their histories intact.

I also used the fact that Marvel has rarely had the Egyptian gods show up as active characters to explain why Bast doesn't act in person.

I have not yet decided where Shou Lao came from. Candidates include an offspring of Set or the Egyptian being named Apophis (whose role as enemy of Ra was supplanted by Seth in the Marvel U).
    I personally prefer Wakandan mythology exist mostly independent of Egyptian influences, but this is a very interesting and fun origin story that’s much better than what Coates wrote

Quote Originally Posted by MouserGrey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    not really.

Modesty I like that.. I hear a certain writer is one of the writers on comic anthology book Marvel Voices. You can go out and support that book and you can tweet to editor(s) and relevant people that you are enjoying the book. We as fans can't force a publish to go hey pick this person for this book. But we as fans can give a writer some ammo to make a case for themselves "Hey look my book did this amount" "Hey look on social media I have this much engagement with the fan base". The writer still has to pitch a good story and whatever else process initials but you can help out by supporting his content at Marvel. I am looking forward to future stuff, Maybe Marvel lets you write Black Panther/Mosaic miniseries as a test run.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Modesty I like that.. I hear a certain writer is one of the writers on comic anthology book Marvel Voices. You can go out and support that book and you can tweet to editor(s) and relevant people that you are enjoying the book. We as fans can't force a publish to go hey pick this person for this book. But we as fans can give a writer some ammo to make a case for themselves "Hey look my book did this amount" "Hey look on social media I have this much engagement with the fan base". The writer still has to pitch a good story and whatever else process initials but you can help out by supporting his content at Marvel. I am looking forward to future stuff, Maybe Marvel lets you write Black Panther/Mosaic miniseries as a test run.
    Here's the thing though, Redjack already did his "test run" it was Avengers assemble Black Panther quest. Redjack straight up KILLED on that show. That was the T'Challa that we were wanting to see again in the comics and I believe BP quest won some award's or atleast was nominated. He has already proven he gets T'Challa and his world and can write him well. He just needs to get the right people on comic's side to let him get BP back on track

The key to getting Redjack the gig is finding out who the Blockers and the Haters are in the room!

He needs to recall all the names of the people in the room responsible for hiring future comic writers and identify his Barzini...

You're Welcome!!!
    Get Hectic!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Not saying this as a defense of Coates but -

* Aquaman gets asked these questions all the time since the Peter David run. I think he's on his fourth story of losing the throne since the New 52 started.

* Namor is generally a poor leader.

* Doom is a villain. As is Black Adam.

* Wonder Woman usually isn't the one running Themyscira.

* Black Lightning isn't a monarch. And he isn't the only superhero where he lives anyway.
    If you look at pretty much any of the comic book kings/rulers (T'Challa, Namor, Doom, Black Bolt, Aquaman), they all go through those sort of storylines. Things like losing your throne or revolts are just the sort of unique stories you only get from super hero kings. Those aren't the sort of issues that a Peter Parker has to deal with.

Wonder Woman and Thor don't really have that happen to them, because they avoid ruling at all costs. They don't want the throne and avoid it at all costs. It's guys like Aquaman and Black Panther who are stuck with those sort of stories because they accept the responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I personally prefer Wakandan mythology exist mostly independent of Egyptian influences, but this is a very interesting and fun origin story that’s much better than what Coates wrote
    Thank you. Like Redjack, I tried to work with what we already had (and clean up some storytelling issues in the process).

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    If you look at pretty much any of the comic book kings/rulers (T'Challa, Namor, Doom, Black Bolt, Aquaman), they all go through those sort of storylines. Things like losing your throne or revolts are just the sort of unique stories you only get from super hero kings. Those aren't the sort of issues that a Peter Parker has to deal with.

Wonder Woman and Thor don't really have that happen to them, because they avoid ruling at all costs. They don't want the throne and avoid it at all costs. It's guys like Aquaman and Black Panther who are stuck with those sort of stories because they accept the responsibility.
    Yes and no. When Aquaman loses his throne, it's usually due to conquest by someone else (often another superhuman). As for BB... the Inhumans are such a mess that I'm not even sure where Attilan IS currently, forget who is leading them. Somehow though, BB always seems to end up back on the throne, usually between storylines. In any case, they almost never see the sort of populist revolt Coates set up. And not ONE of them, outside of T'Challa, had a revolt because they were inattentive rulers who allowed warlords and sex traffickers to operate inside their borders. Only Wakanda has ever had to deal with crack & rape camps.

Also, Thor is currently King of Asgard, and has been for some time.

Thank you. Like Redjack, I tried to work with what we already had (and clean up some storytelling issues in the process).

Yes and no. When Aquaman loses his throne, it's usually due to conquest by someone else (often another superhuman). As for BB... the Inhumans are such a mess that I'm not even sure where Attilan IS currently, forget who is leading them. Somehow though, BB always seems to end up back on the throne, usually between storylines. In any case, they almost never see the sort of populist revolt Coates set up. And not ONE of them, outside of T'Challa, had a revolt because they were inattentive rulers who allowed warlords and sex traffickers to operate inside their borders. Only Wakanda has ever had to deal with crack & rape camps.

Also, Thor is currently King of Asgard, and has been for some time.
    If Black Bolt isn't already king, he will be again just as surely as Thor will eventually weasel his way off the throne at the first convenient opportunity. For It better or for worse, the status quo pretty much always returns. Any king that loses their throne will get it back, whether it's the actual super hero like Aquaman and Black Panther, or a super heros parent like Wonder Womans mom or Thors dad. None of this stuff sticks in the long term... which is PROBABLY a good thing (though some might disagree).

It is a fair point to argue that Wakanda deals with more real life issues than Attilan or Atlantis or Asgard. Despite being technologically advanced it's more grounded to the point where you can deal with more realistic problems like drugs or sex trafficers. Unlike Themescara or Atlantis, Africa is a real place with real problems and that can bleed into comics because marvel despite everything going on is still suppossedly the world outside our window.