Page 742 of 744 FirstFirst ... 242642692732738739740741742743744 LastLast
Results 11,116 to 11,130 of 11160

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    i mean, Anubis is an in canon Foe of Wakanda/Bast

Even has built in minions to use in the game if wanted! lol
    Of course, in myth, Anubis is one of the good guys. But then again, Set isn't a serpent god either, so.. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    They don't give out Eisners for "Best Dialogue" *shrug*. Frankly, I was surprised she won too...
    It's the name, not the content, that won. If these two were just comic writers, or white writers. The articles and "buzz" about them would be much different..

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post

The implications here are quite beautiful. It's like Coates can't help himself from drawing parallels between MU T'Challa and his MCU counterpart. I love it. MCU T'Challa never did physical battle with his forefathers, but he did engage in a verbal one. It was there where he challenged his actual father and his decisions that fell in line with the kings of the past. It was also there where MCU realized the kind of king he wanted to be. He cast down the old ways to usher Wakanda into a new era of peace and prosperity. I can't wait to read this.

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post

What is this comment about not planning for things? Felt to me like he was taking shots @ Priest's run. When I first read this, I thought "Great, more of Coates pretentiousness."

Is anyone else getting a little tired of T'Challa's deceased loved ones gripping at him? That KOTD power has to be the worst set of powers. They've been gripping at him since Hickman was writing T'Challa.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium Weave View Post
    What is this comment about not planning for things? Felt to me like he was taking shots @ Priest's run. When I first read this, I thought "Great, more of Coates pretentiousness."

Is anyone else getting a little tired of T'Challa's deceased loved ones gripping at him? That KOTD power has to be the worst set of powers. They've been gripping at him since Hickman was writing T'Challa.
    The power has been utterly useless. Like literally has done nothing except shade throw, talk down to him, abd wheb he used the rip off return of the king ghost army, he couldn't even activate it himself and instead needed Eden to actually use it.

Dude has been taking shots at Priest abd Hudlins rub with his run just existing

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Yes because they are named "celebrities" in the literary world. Dysfunction sells.
    It also shows that those awards mean nothing if storytelling, writing, pacing, dialogue, action, continuity etc. Can all be ignored and sidelined for an agenda and still win those award's
    You just described the BET & NAACP awards. AKA the Tyler Perry awards at times. Static Shock never sniffed a nomination. A 2 time Day Time Emmy nominated series.

Which means he has no experience writing comic books.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster. And what a disaster it is.
    Yeah but if you are Marvel or DC-you got history of stuff like this working.

Peter David-a failed journalist was selling books for Marvel when some guy named Jim Owsley took a risk on him until Jim Shooter had him fired. Then David got the Hulk comic book and was told to do whatever he wanted. 12 year run. After only 3 Spider-Man issues that did not sell.

On the flipside-bad writers keep getting work yet sales don't hurt that much

JT Krul has YET to produce a book with good reviews at DC. He got a 2 year run with Teen Titans.
    Robert Venditti-have YET to hear anything nice about his DC work. He has 100+ issues of writing Hal Jordan.
    Scott Lobdell-see Robert. How many books has he done for DC?

For all the cries of QUALITY stories-Dc & Marvel see something different. The person on the cover matters more than the story quality.
    Both companies have seen bad writers move products.

Ultimate Member

If you're marvel and you see that his Black Panther book was nominated for a Hugo Award in 2017, and his WoW book with Gay actually won an Eisner in 2018, you have reason to believe SOME people at least believe he has talent in writing fiction. All that of course is subjective...
    http://www.thehugoawards.org/hugo-fa...%20Determined?

How are the Awards determined? Who selects the nominees and winners?
    Voting for the awards is open to all members of the World Science Fiction Society (WSFS), and to become a member all you have to do is buy a membership in that year’s Worldcon. It is not necessary to actually attend the convention. A “supporting membership,” the cost of which varies from year to year (in 2015 it costs US$40; in 2016 it costs US$50), is all you need to join WSFS.
    Anyone here can be a member.
    The voting system explicitly accepts that no one can have seen/read everything. It relies on the fact that many people participate to find the five works that are most popular (that is have been seen/read and enjoyed by most people), and then there is a run-off between them in the final ballot.
    They rely on OTHERS to pick books that are POPULAR.

You know how EASY that is? I can go on Amazon and look the top selling 100 super hero trades and see who is there with current work listed.

That is how you get crap a ton of awards.

The Eisner's judge vary.
    For 2018 one of those judges was Alex Simmons who wrote Cartoon Life of Chuck Clayton for Archie.
    Looking at some of those judges very few have ties to Marvel or DC. I saw one who helped get Vertigo & Milestone started up at DC.
    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300570238.html

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Peter David-a failed journalist was selling books for Marvel when some guy named Jim Owsley took a risk on him until Jim Shooter had him fired. Then David got the Hulk comic book and was told to do whatever he wanted. 12 year run. After only 3 Spider-Man issues that did not sell.
    For the record, Peter David is also a published novelist (in fact, his first novel was published shortly after he started on Hulk... which means it was written before... books don't come out overnight).

Oh, and Scott Lobdell has been in the business since 1988. And his earliest work wasn't a headline book, but short pieces in Marvel Comics Presents
    Last edited by DigiCom; 12-30-2019 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You just described the BET & NAACP awards. AKA the Tyler Perry awards at times. Static Shock never sniffed a nomination. A 2 time Day Time Emmy nominated series.

Yeah but if you are Marvel or DC-you got history of stuff like this working.

On the flipside-bad writers keep getting work yet sales don't hurt that much

JT Krul has YET to produce a book with good reviews at DC. He got a 2 year run with Teen Titans.
    Robert Venditti-have YET to hear anything nice about his DC work. He has 100+ issues of writing Hal Jordan.
    Scott Lobdell-see Robert. How many books has he done for DC?

For all the cries of QUALITY stories-Dc & Marvel see something different. The person on the cover matters more than the story quality.
    Both companies have seen bad writers move products.
    Problem is they are squashing/squashed the hot iron that was BP when his movie hit last in 2018 with the garbage Coates was producing. Think of it this way, you come out the movie feeling hyped abd immediately head over to get more BP action. You stumble upon a nation beneath our feet. In the movie you see T'Challa powerful, regal badass and a unified Wakanda. Then you come to this and you see.. rape camps, depressed weak ass T'Challa, and all the characters talking isht. Yes this sells because we know dysfunction sells and most stuff that comes out that Black characters or people star in generally are ridden with dysfunction. It's what people are used to. But BP coming out should of been used as the springboard for folks to say enough with the subpar garbage, we demand more for these Characters then the same uninspired tropes

What is this comment about not planning for things? Felt to me like he was taking shots @ Priest's run.
    Coates doesn't like the character or think he is "believable" so he strips the character to fit "his" version ot T'challa.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

Not sure if any of you have heard of these guys on YouTube called "The Spinner Rack", but they have an old review on Coates's issue 2 for S1. They voice basically our same opinions of the run. They have other Black Panther related videos as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    The power has been utterly useless. Like literally has done nothing except shade throw, talk down to him, abd wheb he used the rip off return of the king ghost army, he couldn't even activate it himself and instead needed Eden to actually use it.

Dude has been taking shots at Priest abd Hudlins rub with his run just existing
    He didn't even need the KotD powers in Secret Wars. He had the freaking Infinity Gauntlet. And what does he do with the Gauntlet? Get into a fist fight with Doom.

Some of these writers a severe lack of imagination.

And the ability to be lectured by your elders is not a super power.

Ya know, I'm not too crazy about making death gods evil just because westerners associate death with evil. But a god would make for a good enemy in a game.

I think Apep would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    And the ability to be lectured by your elders is not a super power.
    I'm Italian. If being lectured by your parents was a superpower, I'd be "Il Re della Morte"

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Ya know, I'm not too crazy about making death gods evil just because westerners associate death with evil. But a god would make for a good enemy in a game.

Oddly enough, never used in Marvel. They used Howard's Set instead.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Cool.

Of course, in myth, Anubis is one of the good guys. But then again, Set isn't a serpent god either, so.. *shrug*
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

I'm Italian. If being lectured by your parents was a superpower, I'd be "Il Re della Morte"

Oddly enough, never used in Marvel. They used Howard's Set instead.
    That's a shame. Apep is an actual evil god in Egyptian mythology, as far as I recall, so he'd be just about perfect and nobody would have to complain about gods associated with death, darkness, or other "icky" concepts getting unfairly shafted in Western media adaptations. Speaking of unfairly shafted and Anubis, though . . . well, there was that time a presumptuous Spider-Man villain who thought he'd found a way to overcome death itself started parading around in an Anubis mask.
    The spider is always on the hunt.