Page 205 of 626 FirstFirst ... 105155195201202203204205206207208209215255305 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,075 of 9381
    Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    What does Kamala have to do with Mar-Vell and why would it be a problem for Jean to be in the Marvel family?
    Nothing, but she was a Carol fangirl, so it makes sense. Marvel Girl, however, always felt like Stan & Jack couldn't come with anything and said "nah...screw that; we work at Marvel and she's a girl".

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Nothing, but she was a Carol fangirl, so it makes sense. Marvel Girl, however, always felt like Stan & Jack couldn't come with anything and said "nah...screw that; we work at Marvel and she's a girl".
    I agree.

When I hear “marvel girl”, I think “dc girl” or “walking dead girl”. Insert any popular franchise/company name + a pronoun, and it just seems silly to me. It kinda Makes it feel like the fourth wall is taken down a bit, too.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I agree.

When I hear “marvel girl”, I think “dc girl” or “walking dead girl”. Insert any popular franchise/company name + a pronoun, and it just seems silly to me. It kinda Makes it feel like the fourth wall is taken down a bit, too.
    In France at that time she was named Strange girl because the magazine Uncanny X-Men were published in was called Strange. Same problem. She can't become Marvel Girl again and as it was pointed earlier by someone else she is too old as a character for a new codename to stick. So while she's not Phoenix, I think she should go with Jean Grey.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mogwen View Post
    In France at that time she was named Strange girl because the magazine Uncanny X-Men were published in was called Strange. Same problem. She can't become Marvel Girl again and as it was pointed earlier by someone else she is too old as a character for a new codename to stick. So while she's not Phoenix, I think she should go with Jean Grey.
    Phoenix is too generic of a codename anyway, every sci-fi and fantasy setting out there has phoenixes of some kind, burninating things and rising from the ashes and what not. Meanwhile only hardcore devotees of medieval British history would find "Jean Grey" to be derivative.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Phoenix is too generic of a codename anyway, every sci-fi and fantasy setting out there has phoenixes of some kind, burninating things and rising from the ashes and what not. Meanwhile only hardcore devotees of medieval British history would find "Jean Grey" to be derivative.
    I don't have a problem with Phoenix as a codename but I feel like it should be used sparingly when she's in possession AND control of the PF.

That being said I love "Jean Grey" for a "codename" I feel like it gives her a bit of extra authenticity and makes a more powerful statement like "I'm Jean Grey the woman and Superhero and that's more than enough."

Would Marvelous be a good codename or is it too corny

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    No major hero in mass media is named Phoenix. Jean is the only one.

Id agree with that. Many of the major X-men have generic names which have meaning elsewhere. Cyclops, Beast, Wolverine, Storm, Angel etc....Phoenix is pretty iconic with Jean. Its really generic everywhere else

Quote Originally Posted by Del torro View Post
    corny. Im not the fan of calling a person by an adjective

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    A fourteen year longstanding death, that aside, I recently came across his Jean(again). And I'll say this for better or worse, he nailed her voice for a modern age imo, all his ideas may not have been sound. But at least for the issues he wrote her he wrote her as capable, assertive, and independent something that comes and goes with Jean. She had an edge and she wasn't afraid or timid to fully explore that and I liked that, it's what's been missing since her return there's no fire and she's reactionary opposed to truly reveling in herself. I'm personally tired of confused, helpless, and passive Jean with all she's seen and done I just expect Jean to be a bit more worldly more experienced but recently she's been written with such naivete that it's a disservice to her character.

Truth, the lack of writers capable of writing Storm at this point is ludicrous, when is the last time a writer on the flagship actually "got" Storm or made an effort to portray her in ways other than lightning girl. She has no grit, no meat attached, although the true is that's the problem with the whole franchise. No one sounds like themselves, and none of their stories or journeys matter outside of the story it's being told within.

Also, just a quick reminder, to the folks who consistently state certain posters are overreacting. In last two years since her Resurrection there's being red flags as far as her portrayal. She hasn't suffered nearly as bad as others but she also hasn't had the luxury of a long-term consistent voice. At this point we all should be mindful, outside of Red everything she's appeared in, has been in an incredibly passive or incredibly ineffectual roles. Now while we can argue that I also think we all can agree that Jean could have been giving more to do across the series she's appeared in thus far, I don't know what Hickman has planned so I won't speculate. However, just because she's included does not mean he will write her well, or if she'll have a big role, at least for the others involved he's written them in some capacity and they usually receive a lot of attention from multiple writers.
    Agreed about the extreme passivity. It would have been just better to keep Jeen around and keep adult Jean dead until writers were ready to actual write her well. The 90s references are awful and erased all
    The great work Morrison and Bendis did.

Quote Originally Posted by Del torro View Post
    Nah. Marvelous won't work

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Emma fans got upset with JDW because he said he preferred her as a villain, which ignores the last 18 years of her character history.

He listed his favorites, how is that shilling?
    He has the right to his personal favorites, but that doesn’t mean 18 years of history should be ignored. Going back to the early 90s has almost ruined the entire XMen beyond repair. Marvel needs to get rid of this has been writers and editors.

Comic Geek in General

Have they really addresses the other elephant in the room .......the fact that a corrupt Shi’ar Official basically ordered her entire family wiped out? (Except for I think Clarity, a long lived ancestor, everyone else was wiped out). I know they touched on it in Phoenix Resurrection, but they haven’t really mentioned it during Red or the first 10 issues of Uncanny......is it something that Hickman would probably address?

Quote Originally Posted by Decoy View Post
    Have they really addresses the other elephant in the room .......the fact that a corrupt Shi’ar Official basically ordered her entire family wiped out? (Except for I think Clarity, a long lived ancestor, everyone else was wiped out). I know they touched on it in Phoenix Resurrection, but they haven’t really mentioned it during Red or the first 10 issues of Uncanny......is it something that Hickman would probably address?
    That was more than a decade ago. I saw some fans wanting Jean to react to it, but it happened too far long ago to have a major effect now

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

That will probably come to play when someone needs an excuse to use the shi'ar. Though if i remember correctly Jeen already knew her family was wiped out and the shi'ar hunted her on the trial of Jean Grey.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    That was more than a decade ago. I saw some fans wanting Jean to react to it, but it happened too far long ago to have a major effect now
    it's never too late, not to long ago one broccoli guy tried to kill Rachel for what Jean did on the DPS and that is even more distant.

It was addressed in Bendis' ANXM during the Trial. And as Jean regained all the memories of the time she spent in the present while she was younger...