Page 166 of 626 FirstFirst ... 66116156162163164165166167168169170176216266 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,490 of 9381
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Jean has a physical connection to the Phoenix Force via her mutation, and the original host (from the prehistoric Avengers) is a redhead with green eyes that looks an awful lot like Jean. Rachel looks like her mother. Hope, a child chosen specifically by the Phoenix Force, matches that physical set. As much as an out of universe reason is that they're all derivative, I wager to say that in-universe it's all connected and for a reason. Maybe something to do with reincarnation?
    Meh, the mythos works better when Jean is one of a kind rather than part of a long line of random redheads. Marvel has a habit of making a big deal out of new Phoenix hosts, but afterwards pretending they never existed, I'm content to do the same.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Meh, the mythos works better when Jean is one of a kind rather than part of a long line of random redheads. Marvel has a habit of making a big deal out of new Phoenix hosts, but afterwards pretending they never existed, I'm content to do the same.
    I don't disagree: Jean is Phoenix and Phoenix is Jean. I can allow for a Phoenix of every era but too many at once and it gets tainted.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    Where is this from?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelboy1974 View Post
    I refuse to believe that Jean is an ordinary redhead. Her hair is more red than orange. Siryn is the one with freckles. Dare I say that Jean’s unique shade of red and her vibrant green eyes are part of her mutation, just like Storm’s hair and white out eyes are part of her mutation. I think it’s the artist preferences, but I don’t care for freckles on Jean.
    Yes, exactly my take as well.

Fantastic Member

Jean has a physical connection to the Phoenix Force via her mutation, and the original host (from the prehistoric Avengers) is a redhead with green eyes that looks an awful lot like Jean. Rachel looks like her mother. Hope, a child chosen specifically by the Phoenix Force, matches that physical set. As much as an out of universe reason is that they're all derivative, I wager to say that in-universe it's all connected and for a reason. Maybe something to do with reincarnation?
    Well like Jean has said in the past PREPARE to learn the truth I guess >>

HISTORY OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE #1 (of 6)
    MARK WAID (W) • JAVIER RODRIGUEZ (A)
    Cover by STEVE MCNIVEN
    VARIANT COVER BY JAVIER RODRIGUEZ
    VARIANT COVER BY NICK BRADSHAW
    HIDDEN GEM VARIANT COVER BY JOHN BUSCEMA
    VARIANT COVER BY DAVID MARQUEZ
    VIRGIN VARIANT COVER BY STEVE MCNIVEN
    ALL-NEW STORY BY LEGENDARY CREATOR MARK WAID!
    Everything you ever wanted to know about the Marvel Universe — in one lavishly illustrated series!
    From the Big Bang to the twilight of existence, HISTORY OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE chronicles completely, for the first time, everything that was, is or will be!
    Lushly illustrated text tells the complete story of the Marvel Universe, revealing previously unknown secrets and serving as the ultimate reference book for Marvel fans! Witness the greatest tale ever told — and be prepared for some shocking revelations!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$4.99

I wish it were so, but in the end they just knew that having aPhoenix without a Jean look a likie Avatar just looks and feels wrong. Even Phoenix Gorce in 1 billion trillion crappy Avengers is red headed.

Lets face it, Green eyes, red hair and flames just looks so good visually.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    Anybody know what comic/issue this is from? Have seen multiple scans of this storyline on the internet over the past few years but could never figure out what title it was from/issue number. Thanks.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Conor View Post
    Anybody know what comic/issue this is from? Have seen multiple scans of this storyline on the internet over the past few years but could never figure out what title it was from/issue number. Thanks.
    It's the back-up story in Classic X-Men #43.

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

I would love for them to establish that Jean's Marvel Girl "cat mask" is actually "wings"-- Phoenix wings-- kinda like how She-Ra's mask symbolizes wings. I know, I know, this will never happen and is just wishful thinking. But as I've said before, when Rachel was Marvel Girl with some Phoenix imagery during Reload, I couldn't help but think that Jean should have been the one with a mixture of "Marvel Girl" and "Phoenix" imagery.

I also feel like the creators forget that Green Mini Dress Marvel Girl was much more powerful, bold/confident, and sexier than she was when she was in her original costume at the start of the book. In many ways she was an intermediate step between her earliest days and Phoenix. When Jean was in her mini dress she wasn't just the denmother of the group anymore. This was when she worked as a model and when she would challenge villains like Mesmero and Magneto head- on and one-on-one. She even had a little cosmic moment when she she accidentally freed Blastaar from the Negative Zone. We saw her temper flare more and the beginnings of her getting off to high levels of power (when using the mind machine that freed Blastaar). This era also introduced the secrets that Jean and Xavier had (Jean's telepathy, Changeling, impending Z'Nox invasion etc). They also experimented with her power effect (shadow, black orbs, giant brain effect, floating mask/eyes, pink lines, etc) during this time.

They have been using her Green Mini Dress look or a variant of it a lot lately (PR #5, Red Annual, Marvelous X-Men, House of X), but they are (and seem to be) emphasizing the passive denmother version of the character and forgetting that she became more of a badass during the original green mini dress era.

To be clear, I don't want them eliminating Jean's motherly qualities altogether so I don't mean "denmother" as completely negative. Jean does have a nurturing side and that was present since the early days. She was often a denmother to the 05 (sometimes acting as cook, nursemaid and seamstress) and she was Xavier's caretaker (she would push his wheelchair, sometimes levitate him in and out of his chair, sometimes into his bed) and often times acted as his bodyguard (during several of the earliest fights Jean protected Xavier from the bad guys). Even during the early Phoenix issues, Jean was still pushing Xavier's wheelchair and protecting him.

I'm just saying Jean is more well-rounded when she is much more than the nurturer in the group. Her passionate and outgoing side shouldn't be ignored. Ditto for her ability to kickass when she needs to.

I'm not sure if I agree that Jean is being written as passive lately. It's less that, and more that Jean is being written as a pacifist - which is the truth. If she can avoid fighting, then she would, and should. The Red annual had Jean in the mini dress for it's entirety and it showed her as aggressive and reactionary, confronting an angry mob and going right to the door of the Inhumans to confront them over Scott's death. Uncanny saw her trying to resolve the issues with Nate peacefully because he had previously been their ally and he is her son, but it also saw her literally taking a team to fight and stop feral dinosaurs, as well as Nate's heralds.

It's honestly kind of refreshing to have a character whose first instinct isn't to lash out and fight.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

I'm not sure if I agree that Jean is being written as passive lately. It's less that, and more that Jean is being written as a pacifist - which is the truth. If she can avoid fighting, then she would, and should. The Red annual had Jean in the mini dress for it's entirety and it showed her as aggressive and reactionary, confronting an angry mob and going right to the door of the Inhumans to confront them over Scott's death. Uncanny saw her trying to resolve the issues with Nate peacefully because he had previously been their ally and he is her son, but it also saw her literally taking a team to fight and stop feral dinosaurs, as well as Nate's heralds.

It's honestly kind of refreshing to have a character whose first instinct isn't to lash out and fight.
    You are right. Jean isnt written as passive. People are confusing the terms. Acting passive implies that she is just going with the flow and taking no action. Thats not Jean. Red was all about her being fired up to make a difference for mutant lives and we've seen her since step up as leader in UXM, delegating and being the voice/face of the X-men. She is a pacifist in her methods as she'd rather take the least violent route, but she is no way a passive member of the team

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    You are right. Jean isnt written as passive. People are confusing the terms. Acting passive implies that she is just going with the flow and taking no action. Thats not Jean. Red was all about her being fired up to make a difference for mutant lives and we've seen her since step up as leader in UXM, delegating and being the voice/face of the X-men. She is a pacifist in her methods as she'd rather take the least violent route, but she is no way a passive member of the team
    Exactly. She also was pretty aggressive against Ahab and his Hounds in Extermination, but all people seem to remember about that mini is the fact that Rachel got turned back into a hound in it, which is the least of what happened. Both Jean's were pretty aggressive, for that matter.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

She is not being passive
    I love that Jean isn't acting like an aggresive little kid looking for trouble, she is mature and above that unlike most "heroes" on marvel these days.

she is not being soft or weak, she has common sense. I really wouldn't like to see her fighting for every little reason.

besides, she is still kicking ass when it matters.

Remember how Jean solo'd Apocalypse in the background of the last few issues of Disassembled? That would've been a cooler focus than the fight with Nate.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Remember how Jean solo'd Apocalypse in the background of the last few issues of Disassembled? That would've been a cooler focus than the fight with Nate.
    True, sadly it was mostly on the background so many people didn't pay attention to it but shows jean isn't being soft and that she is not a push over.