Page 496 of 626 FirstFirst ... 396446486492493494495496497498499500506546596 ... LastLast
Results 7,426 to 7,440 of 9381

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    I would argue(and other people have) that the movie was more like the Phoenix Saga than the Dark Phoenix Saga. Because Jean wasn’t really portrayed as villainous in the movie but more like someone suffering from schizophrenia, which was the filmmakers intent. The worst she does is kill Mystique and that was an accident.

The movie was more about her rise than her fall.
    It wasn't the Dark Phoenix saga for sure but it definitely wasn't the Phoenix saga either. In the early days Jean had problems with the rushes but she wasn't perceived as a villain or a threat to the world. Jean as Phoenix was a hero and though Scott and some of the others were worried about her, she did good things.

The movie tried too hard to be something it wasn't. They should have learned something from the Marvel movies and it should have been unapologetic for being a super hero movie. It needed big effects and it needed to be true to the source material. It could have been something great. Instead we had a watered down version that felt deeply uneven.

Again I like Sophie and I did enjoy the movie. I felt for Jean in several instances but it is obvious the mass audience did not.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    I watched the movie when it came out on video. They didn't read the source material
    I don’t think that is fair to say with all the studio meddling involved. Did you know that Jessica Chastain was suppose to play Lilandra back when this was a two parter?

Plus it felt like they were actually re-interpreting frigging X3. Which doesn't surprise me because the same people were involved in Dark Phoenix.

It should have been done over two movies and they should have had Jean become Dark Phoenix at the end of the first movie and then continue the story into the 2nd.

I imagine we won't see Phoenix in the MCU for a long time, if ever, it's pretty much a movie curse now and they should probably just do an animated movie for it where they can make it reasonably close to the original story.
    That was them building off an idea from Days of Future Past about time being like a river. They actually planned on doing the movie before DOFP came out. A lot of themes and ideas from DOFP were carried over into that movie. It seems that the idea of the movie is showing how Jean didn’t become the Dark Phoenix in the new timeline, which they alluded to at the end of DOFP.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

That piece is kinda rough in general. I like the different power signatures though.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

I liked it when Jean would have pink for tk energy and yellow/gold for tp energy. They are different powers so they should have different effects imo. Though sometimes I think the pink energy is boring. I wish they would have chose a different color for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I don't subscribe to Hickman's backward ideology that the future of the Earth is human, and neither does the Phoenix Force, clearly. The Phoenix is all about life, rebirth, and evolution - so mutants are the next step in human evolution. In human life. So of course, it would be invested.

The Phoenix is, again, omnipotent. It could probably have aged Hope itself when it got to Earth, she didn't need to be taken to the future. That was for her protection.

I'm not arguing that it would have been easier just to resurrect Jean, but keep in mind that theoretically Jean was the White Phoenix of the Crown at this time and so would have actually been the one making all of the decisions in regards to Hope's creation. The Phoenix wasn't whole yet, but she still needed her Catalyst.
    For all we know the future of life on earth could be inhumans. Also humans are in constant mutations and evolution is possible by many ways, as Hickman showed.
    Seems more like Phoenix likes to play favorites haha

Well if Phoenix could even age Hope, it really puts a big damage on the need for Jean being a host.

But she was the white phoenix? she was hunting her pieces (it was ignored), being white crown was also ignored. Nobody ever did anything about these things

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    It wasn't the Dark Phoenix saga for sure but it definitely wasn't the Phoenix saga either. In the early days Jean had problems with the rushes but she wasn't perceived as a villain or a threat to the world. Jean as Phoenix was a hero and though Scott and some of the others were worried about her, she did good things.

The movie tried too hard to be something it wasn't. They should have learned something from the Marvel movies and it should have been unapologetic for being a super hero movie. It needed big effects and it needed to be true to the source material. It could have been something great. Instead we had a watered down version that felt deeply uneven.

Again I like Sophie and I did enjoy the movie. I felt for Jean in several instances but it is obvious the mass audience did not.
    I’ve read and seen a lot of interviews. It seems that the box office returns of Apocalypse and Logan influenced the direction they took with the film. Make it smaller and more character driven like Logan, which was actively avoiding to be a classic superhero movie. Not saying that was the right direction to go but I can understand their reasoning.

As for the reception upon mass audience they don’t respond well to mismaketed films. The marketing campaign sold it as a summer event movie with Jean as the antagonist and a grand finale to the series. Things it was totally not made to be.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    For all we know the future of life on earth could be inhumans. Also humans are in constant mutations and evolution is possible by many ways, as Hickman showed.
    Seems more like Phoenix likes to play favorites haha

Well if Phoenix could even age Hope, it really puts a big damage on the need for Jean being a host.

But she was the white phoenix? she was hunting her pieces (it was ignored), being white crown was also ignored. Nobody ever did anything about these things
    she had to go back to rejecting the phoenix (just like x-factor days) and ultimately ended up being a much smaller fish ......just the way the x-office like it in my opinion....feel free to disagree of course!
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    she had to go back to rejecting the phoenix (just like x-factor days) and ultimately ended up being a much smaller fish ......just the way the x-office like it in my opinion....feel free to disagree of course!
    I kinda of agree, X-office isn't a big fan of Jean being the center. the closest we had was a short period with a editor that believe on Jean, it didn't lasted.
    They really doesn't like jean calling atention and being powerful, they always find a way to nerf her.
    i was big on Jean not being phoenix, now I'm not so sure

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    The other hosts didn't so much call it a "villain" as much as they were scared of the ramifications of the power. QQQ saw the damage to his mind for trying to wield it when he wasn't ready (Warsong/Endsong). Hope saw it corrupt the P5, even if it wasn't entirely their fault. While they turned the responsibility as a host into more of a burden, there's nothing inherently wrong with that.
    Rachel saw it as a mother, she is the only one who actually loves the Phoenix.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    Rachel saw it as a mother, she is the only one who actually loves the Phoenix.
    Rachel is still the only one who sees the Phoenix as more than a bringer of death, which is sad to me. Marvel really took a bat to the bird.

Hope sucks...plot contrivance made flesh

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    The original third act wasn’t very good from what I’ve heard.
    It soundedd better imo.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    It soundedd better imo.
    It was on space at least it could be cool

Quote Originally Posted by Omega_DCD View Post
    Hope sucks...plot contrivance made flesh
    The problem is that Carey wanted touse Phoenix and Jean, then he oculd nly use Phoenix so he came with a concept like Hope.
    Hickman found a some plot function to her
    the plot ocmplications to not bring Jean are like really huge damages to franchise

Apparently they are only keeping Ryan Reynolds. Everyone else is getting recast for the MCU.
    First X-Lady