I would argue that Jean is both portrayed as a pacifist and she is portrayed as rather passive. Passive refers to accepting or allowing what happens or what others do without active response or resistance. Here are some examples from recent books: when fighting the dinosaurs Jean mostly just floated around and directed other X-men despite the fact that she has vast powers. Another example is during the sentinel battle in X-men Red. Again Jean floats around and levitates a few people while the other X-men fight. Jean could have taken a more active role in both scenarios. Yes, she is shown to be a pacifist and that is quite accurate, but she also comes across as rather passive (again not totally passive but more so than some of us like). I think this is fair and accurate statement.

Jean did have a few good moments in Extermination but again I find tk shields/force fields to be bland and on the passive side of power displays. She did push people with her tk in that story. In Uncanny she was quite passive for the most part, but I did enjoy the background fight with Apocalypse.

Again, when it comes to Jean both the creators and fans have a varied take on the character. We see her in different ways and expect the character to behave in different ways. I do hope that future writers show Jean as more assertive and even aggressive at times (without losing her value system or the characteristics we all see in the character - compassion, etc).