Page 595 of 626 FirstFirst ... 95495545585591592593594595596597598599605 ... LastLast
Results 8,911 to 8,925 of 9381

Quote Originally Posted by Narasinha View Post
    Copyright protects someone's work. You don't need to "register" it or whatever. It's automatic: you can't copy or re-use someone's work without his permission. There is also no expiration (some work can fall into "public domain" after 70 years or more (for recent works) after the death of the author).

Trademark protects a brand. It needs to be registered and renewed. You also need to use the brand regularly to keep it registered. You can't register a name or common word because it's not distinctive enough so you can't register "Jean Grey". But you could register a "Jean Grey" logo or a distinctive character. Also a trademark must be limited in scoop (Ie it apply only to a specific domain in relation with a specific type of produces. Ie if you trademark a comic book character with the name "Jean Grey", it won't apply to a mark of pants called "Jean Grey".

Marvel didn't got a trademak on Jean Grey's logo or anything related to Jean Grey so there is nothing that can expire. Which doesn't mean that someone could make stories about a character named Jean Grey who is a redhead with super-power because that would infringe on the copyright.

You are probable confusing with the stuff about Captain Marvel: A company trademarked a comic with a character called "Captain Marvel". DC sued them because (they said) the character was too similar to Superman, which was already trademarked. As a result, the first company had to stop publishing their Captain Marvel comic.

But DC didn't trademarked their own comic called Captain Marvel so Marvel was free to create their own book and trademark it (as they didn't used a character that was too similar to one of the DC's brands).

Later DC got the right to the original Captain Marvel comic but they couldn't use the name anymore in the context of a comic book as Marvel had trademarked the character for a comic book already.
    Thanks for the clarification.

So I guess marvel girl is for trademark. even if they don't need to keep using every year

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Thanks for the clarification.

So I guess marvel girl is for trademark. even if they don't need to keep using every year
    Marvel doesn't have any trademark for a brand related to "Marvel Girl". They don't need to keep using it every few years.
    At worse, someone could trademark a comic book called "Marvel Girl" and Marvel wouldn't be able to make their own comic book called "Marvel Girl". But it wouldn't prevent them to continue using Marvel Girl as a character name if they want to. (And Marvel never published a book called "Marvel Girl" anyway)

Marvel doesn't have any trademark for a brand related to "Marvel Girl". They don't need to keep using it every few years.
    At worse, someone could trademark a comic book called "Marvel Girl" and Marvel wouldn't be able to make their own comic book called "Marvel Girl". But it wouldn't prevent them to continue using Marvel Girl as a character name if they want to. (And Marvel never published a book called "Marvel Girl" anyway)
    Yes they have

Marvel Girl (2010) #1
    When Jean Grey's best friend was tragically killed in a car accident, her strange psychic powers appeared. Only with the aid of PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER was she able to control her mutant abilities. Now, alongside four other gifted youngsters, she must learn to master her powers...before they destroy her!

eta: There was also the Marvel Girls mini

Last edited by Havok83; 12-04-2019 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Yes they have

This is news for me. Fialkov writing a marvel girl book

This is news for me. Fialkov writing a marvel girl book
    You may have just forgot because it got a lot of coverage here on the boards when the issue came out but it has been years ago.

About X-men 3... it was wild. Jean was called Marvel Girl on the intro page, maybe its because Hickman likes using codenames. Jean simply goes by Jean Grey in X-force which may be Percy's preference (or that of whoever are the assistant editors on the respective books... I think X-force has a different one than most of the others).

Jean's official codename is Marvel Girl but she mainly goes by Jean Grey.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    You may have just forgot because it got a lot of coverage here on the boards when the issue came out but it has been years ago.

About X-men 3... it was wild. Jean was called Marvel Girl on the intro page, maybe its because Hickman likes using codenames. Jean simply goes by Jean Grey in X-force which may be Percy's preference (or that of whoever are the assistant editors on the respective books... I think X-force has a different one than most of the others).

Well I wasn't here or even reading x-men books at the time

Well I wasn't here or even reading x-men books at the time
    I suppose that is a plausible explanation

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post

Jean went by Jean Grey in the first issue of Hickman's book

Jean went by Jean Grey in the first issue of Hickman's book
    True. It could have been an oversight or they are just being inconsistent. The Marvel Girl name was used throughout HOX.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Hickman thinks everyone should have some codename because it's their "mutant name". Though I don't think they've been paying much attention to that.
    He also said the same thing about them not wearing street clothes because they’re mutants and they should only wear “mutant clothes”.

I can’t with Hickman.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Incredible Member The Thunderbird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    He also said the same thing about them not wearing street clothes because they’re mutants and they should only wear “mutant clothes”.

I can’t with Hickman.
    Kinda strange that with this statement I still see tons of mutants in the background wearing regular human clothes such as tank tops, t shirts, etc. I wonder if we'll ever have clothes with a Krakoan motif, like living plants. That would easily distinguish mutant apparel from both human civilian and superhero uniforms.

Quote Originally Posted by The Thunderbird View Post
    Kinda strange that with this statement I still see tons of mutants in the background wearing regular human clothes such as tank tops, t shirts, etc. I wonder if we'll ever have clothes with a Krakoan motif, like living plants. That would easily distinguish mutant apparel from both human civilian and superhero uniforms.
    Shoot, Emma has been wearing all kinds of outfits over in Maraurders. I guess its only in X-men where this rule is enforced

Yes they have
    Yes they have what?
    It's not because they used "Marvel Girl" in the title of a comic that they trademarked it. You can check the US register of trademark by yourself if you want.

BANNED

There's nothing wrong with just Jean Grey as I feel its the name is she is most known as even above Phoenix. Jean Grey is what has been primarily used for her branding and considering they chose to name her Giant Sized issue, Jean Grey, I have a feeling its what she will officially be going by next year. I cant help but think that her use of Marvel Girl was a way for Marvel to keep the trademark active since there isnt currently an AU version of the character using it at the moment
    You're probably right. In the early 2000s Rachel was using Marvel Girl, and in the 1990s Valeria Richards was using Marvel Girl. Jeen just very briefly used Marvel Girl. And I do think with Jean going back to the X-Men costume she will be just known as Jean Grey. Basically since the late 80s, when she's not Phoenix she's known as just Jean Grey.

I don't like the name Marvel Girl and Marvel Woman would sound stupid. Phoenix is the only real good code name she others, otherwise her real name is perfectly fine.

Yes they have what?
    It's not because they used "Marvel Girl" in the title of a comic that they trademarked it. You can check the US register of trademark by yourself if you want.
    You wrote: "And Marvel never published a book called "Marvel Girl" anyway"

Yes they have to that