Page 409 of 626 FirstFirst ... 309359399405406407408409410411412413419459509 ... LastLast
Results 6,121 to 6,135 of 9381

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    If we have it shown to have M's TP completely ineffective against it but it do nothing to Jean, then it would be a show of strength (although admittedly M's not that powerful anyway). Jean's TP tends to get nerfed due to tech or people with TP-resistance. It would be a good showing to have her overcome that for once
    I think it goes back to the central issue of TP and TK have been buffed to the point where situations like this keep occurring. The way it has been portrayed, there is zero reason Jean shouldn't have been able to incapacitate every guard on the station. But she didn't, and now everyone is upset that she didn't. Because that is something she can do, but she didn't in order for the story to happen.

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

Monet was Jean's support similar to how the Cuckoos (and I guess, Cerebro) were Xavier's support.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    I think it goes back to the central issue of TP and TK have been buffed to the point where situations like this keep occurring. The way it has been portrayed, there is zero reason Jean shouldn't have been able to incapacitate every guard on the station. But she didn't, and now everyone is upset that she didn't. Because that is something she can do, but she didn't in order for the story to happen.
    No people are upset that she did NOTHING. She literally cowered in a corner on the floor and just relayed her distress of what was happening around her back home. If she had even taken out one guard and was then shot in the back, it would have been better than the weak sauce mess we saw today.

No people are upset that she did NOTHING. She literally cowered in a corner on the floor and just relayed her distress of what was happening around her back home. If she had even taken out one guard and was then shot in the back, it would have been better than the weak sauce mess we saw today.
    Shouldn't that be a dead giveaway that things really aren't what they seem? It is more and more clear that Xavier is taking liberties with people's free will in this story.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Shouldn't that be a dead giveaway that things really aren't what they seem? It is more and more clear that Xavier is taking liberties with people's free will in this story.
    yeah and Ive been saying that from the beginning. Im REALLY trying to give Hickman the benefit of the doubt when it comes to Jean bc she feels off.

Me trying to keep hope alive and pretend to like whats happening with Jean
    Last edited by Havok83; 09-04-2019 at 01:24 PM.

yeah and Ive been saying that from the beginning. Im REALLY trying to give Hickman the benefit of the doubt when it comes to Jean bc she feels off.
    Trust me, just a few issues ago, I was where you are now: watching my favorite act out of character and frankly stupid in order for the writer to tell their story. And it definitely sucks. But at least the the culprit here will get their comeuppance at some point soon.

This is not the Jean Grey I fell in love with, people can pontificate and justify the writing all day long but to me it felt like I was reading about another woman masquerading as Marvel Girl, the fact that she died is not the issue but we all know that's not the way a properly written Jean would have faced certain doom.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Me trying to keep hope alive and pretend to like whats happening with Jean
    haha
    but what if he writes her this way because it is his vision of the character.

I would trust this more if Jean was with a different costume on dawn of X

Amazing Member

But good lord this cover. I may have to buy this in physical form.

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-1-jean-grey-artgerm-variant/

Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post
    Please... That suit made her look like she somehow needed body armor when she wasn't paying attention.
    LOL...this is funny considering what happened to her today. Jean wears a dress on her first mission and is brutally injured to the extent that she cant physically help the rest of the X-men and can only be used as a cell phone. Bet she wishes she wore her armor-plated Red outfit instead

One costume is fit for battle and has practical utility and the other does not
    Last edited by Havok83; 09-04-2019 at 03:29 PM.

I think we got spoiled with X-Men Red. I was so critical of that series because Jean was more the passive den mother and she wore that horrible costume. Now, I miss the series more than ever because at least Jean was strong, passionate, and intelligent. This issue was not a good showing for Ms. Grey.

However, she was injured and one of her best friends had just died in an explosion. The assistant editor of the issue touted the telepathic communication between the Earth and the Sun so I do count it as a big feat for both Jean and Xavier (and acknowledge both had support and assistance from others).

Jean did come across as scared when she was with Monet. I think the artist mostly conveyed that with her goofy expression (and I usually like the artists work). I don't have much more to say but that I'm very worried going forward. I'm afraid Hickman is like Rosenberg and only writes a certain type of character well (the white straight male like Scott Summers and Logan). I hope to be wrong.

I think Jean is going to be downplayed and we will feel lucky we got X-Men Red. I wonder if Hickman hadn't came on and we didn't have an editorial shake up if Jean would have continued to get the spotlight and continue as a leader.

LOL...this is funny considering what happened to her today. Jean wears a dress on her first mission and is brutally injured to the extent that she cant physically help the rest of the X-men and can only be used as a cell phone. Bet she wishes she wore her armor-plated Red outfit instead

One costume is fit for battle and has practical utility and the other does not
    Honestly, they should've just recoloured that from blue and red to green and yellow, like what they did with Cyclops's costume (which was changed from red to blue). The dress is dated and impractical.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixStudies View Post
    I liked the issue overall. The only thing I didn't quite like was Jean acting as if she needed Monet.

However, Morrison did have Jean get nervous from time to time such as when she wanted to call the police when the U-Men started to attack. She calmed down and then kicked ass. She also got nervous before her press conference.
    True. Jean is often portrayed as relatable. Characters feel real when they show fear, anger, sadness etc. I did like in E is for Extinction when the X-Men seemed scared of Cassandra Nova. Our heroes should show fear. I just don't like it when it is just Jean showing it. Again I'm just conflicted over this issue. I want to like it. I've been so excited for HOX/POX so far.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

My main problem really was with the exchange with Monet. What M said was a very Monet thing to say, but I wish it was structured in a way that didn't make Jean seem like such a rookie. Perhaps the art exaggerated the exchange a bit, but I wish Jean's dialogue had been different, and I think it would have worked better. Linking the two teams, and relaying the message may not be some grandiose, badass moment, but it was still a powerful display of Jean's abilities. I'm sure being in the proximity to all those deaths had an impact on her mental abilities as well.

Fantastic Member

I'm loving HOX so far but yeah, Hickman's Jean is not good. Not terrible but I was expecting something like Morrison's Jean. This story is not over though so maybe things will change.