Page 14 of 238 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 3568
  1. #196
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    530

    Default

    I have a question: Why people keep saying that Morrisson hated Jean Grey?
    I remember the run and I didn't find her unlikable, her problematics where well defined. She was at the same time dealing with a surge in powers that she tried to control (this time better than the first) and was powerless to keep her husband from drifting to Emma's arms.
    So, Okay he killed her but since the Phoenix was back we knew she was going to die anyway.

  2. #197
    Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    4,483

    Default

    I don't think he hated her, but you don't do half the stuff he did to her to a character you like.

    He wrote her very well, his Jean is awesome but i keep listening he liked her more as a symbol than a character.

  3. #198
    Extraordinary Member spirit2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    5,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mogwen View Post
    I have a question: Why people keep saying that Morrisson hated Jean Grey?
    I remember the run and I didn't find her unlikable, her problematics where well defined. She was at the same time dealing with a surge in powers that she tried to control (this time better than the first) and was powerless to keep her husband from drifting to Emma's arms.
    So, Okay he killed her but since the Phoenix was back we knew she was going to die anyway.
    In a certain way he hated her. She remined himself of his ex-girlfriend, so the cheating and killing her was on point.

  4. #199
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    In a certain way he hated her. She remined himself of his ex-girlfriend, so the cheating and killing her was on point.
    Omg really? Holy crap! I didnít know. Thatís funny. Writers better be not bring their personal baggage to work.

    I actually enjoyed Morrison run ... just a bit of the execution was meh. But overall, itís an amazing run. I loved his Jean.

  5. #200
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Abbz_A View Post
    Omg really? Holy crap! I didn’t know. That’s funny. Writers better be not bring their personal baggage to work.

    I actually enjoyed Morrison run ... just a bit of the execution was meh. But overall, it’s an amazing run. I loved his Jean.
    It's sometimes the fact that they take their baggage to their stories that make great stories!
    And in the case of Morrison's Jean Grey, what he brought to the story for me made for an enjoyable ride.
    What amazes me is that Marvel took 14 years to resurrect her while Morrison had given the keys to bring her back.

  6. #201
    Astonishing Member Phoenixx9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    4,452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    In a certain way he hated her. She remined himself of his ex-girlfriend, so the cheating and killing her was on point.
    Yes, I heard that (back then) about him too. I was hoping that as he was writing it, he would not continue and to the degree that he did.

  7. #202
    Astonishing Member PsychoEFrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    2,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    In a certain way he hated her. She remined himself of his ex-girlfriend, so the cheating and killing her was on point.
    That wasn't Morrison, it was Joe Quesada.
    "It is the truest mark of heroism: to give your life aware that those you save will never know."

  8. #203
    Extraordinary Member spirit2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    5,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yes, I heard that (back then) about him too. I was hoping that as he was writing it, he would not continue and to the degree that he did.
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    That wasn't Morrison, it was Joe Quesada.
    Hummm

    What I heard was about Morrison, his wife looks like Emma.

    Yes, he wrote Jean well for most time but then he let his personal life speaks louder

  9. #204
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,324

    Default

    Yeah, no - the ex thing is Quesada. Guy was going through a divorce at the time and brought the guillotine down on Jean and later the marriage between Spider-Man and Mary Jane.

    "I'll always love you, Jean Grey." "I'll always love you too, Scott Summers." - Scott Summers and Jean Grey

  10. #205
    Extraordinary Member spirit2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    5,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mogwen View Post
    It's sometimes the fact that they take their baggage to their stories that make great stories!
    And in the case of Morrison's Jean Grey, what he brought to the story for me made for an enjoyable ride.
    What amazes me is that Marvel took 14 years to resurrect her while Morrison had given the keys to bring her back.
    Morrison didn't, he wanted to tell the definitive Phoenix story and that meant Jean should be kept dead. The dead was really dumb to start.
    It was very convenient that this was one of the few things from Morrison era they kept

  11. #206
    Mighty Member Peanutsinspace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Yeah, no - the ex thing is Quesada. Guy was going through a divorce at the time and brought the guillotine down on Jean and later the marriage between Spider-Man and Mary Jane.
    Yup. He was also the "dead means dead" guy.

  12. #207
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Morrison didn't, he wanted to tell the definitive Phoenix story and that meant Jean should be kept dead. The dead was really dumb to start.
    It was very convenient that this was one of the few things from Morrison era they kept
    What I've heard is that Morrison wanted to tell the definitive Phoenix story - which meant the Phoenix being Phoenix and reviving Jean, in his original plan, nearly immediately after she was killed off. But he had a family emergency and had to leave the book, paired with Quesada's dead means dead rule, so we got Here Comes Tomorrow instead.

    "I'll always love you, Jean Grey." "I'll always love you too, Scott Summers." - Scott Summers and Jean Grey

  13. #208
    Extraordinary Member spirit2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    5,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    What I've heard is that Morrison wanted to tell the definitive Phoenix story - which meant the Phoenix being Phoenix and reviving Jean, in his original plan, nearly immediately after she was killed off. But he had a family emergency and had to leave the book, paired with Quesada's dead means dead rule, so we got Here Comes Tomorrow instead.
    What I heard was that he thought the mistake on phoenix saga was bringing Jean back to life. Anyway if you know that you editor won't let you revive a character, why kill it first?
    Colossus wasn't brought back when Quesada was EiC?

  14. #209
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peanutsinspace View Post
    Yup. He was also the "dead means dead" guy.
    Thank you, you answered my question when I wondered why it took sooo looong to bring back Jean Grey, I had forgotten the Quesada "Dead means dead" rule!
    If I remember well Psylocke fell prey, too, to this Quesada rule albeit for a shorter time!
    And yes I remember this wedding hate!
    It dealt a lot of damage!
    But the Bendis methodical destruction of Scarlet witch is still #1 for me!

  15. #210
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    What I heard was that he thought the mistake on phoenix saga was bringing Jean back to life. Anyway if you know that you editor won't let you revive a character, why kill it first?
    Colossus wasn't brought back when Quesada was EiC?
    Yes, it was the end of the Dead means dead rule, at the same time, Psylocke was brought back too!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •