Page 167 of 626 FirstFirst ... 67117157163164165166167168169170171177217267 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,505 of 9381

I would argue that Jean is both portrayed as a pacifist and she is portrayed as rather passive. Passive refers to accepting or allowing what happens or what others do without active response or resistance. Here are some examples from recent books: when fighting the dinosaurs Jean mostly just floated around and directed other X-men despite the fact that she has vast powers. Another example is during the sentinel battle in X-men Red. Again Jean floats around and levitates a few people while the other X-men fight. Jean could have taken a more active role in both scenarios. Yes, she is shown to be a pacifist and that is quite accurate, but she also comes across as rather passive (again not totally passive but more so than some of us like). I think this is fair and accurate statement.

Jean did have a few good moments in Extermination but again I find tk shields/force fields to be bland and on the passive side of power displays. She did push people with her tk in that story. In Uncanny she was quite passive for the most part, but I did enjoy the background fight with Apocalypse.

Again, when it comes to Jean both the creators and fans have a varied take on the character. We see her in different ways and expect the character to behave in different ways. I do hope that future writers show Jean as more assertive and even aggressive at times (without losing her value system or the characteristics we all see in the character - compassion, etc).

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I think there is space for what different people want.
    Some people want jean to be badass and kick ass, she can do that and that doesn't mean she can't be reasonable and caring.
    they are not mutually exclusive

BANNED

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Retcon View Post
    It was just some cosmic ghost rider stuff, i think.
    It doesnt look important to be honest.

But in the examples you gave, i dont see Jean as being passive, i see her as taking herself out of the game slightly to better coordinate her team, get a better persoective. No one compains when Scott tells people what to do instead of optic blasting everyone, or Storm coordinates her teams instaead of constantlt using winds or lightening to stop opponents which wiuld be very easy. For me it showed development of Jean. I lovevthat Jean is one of the few heroes who thinks first and acts later.

There is a maturity to Jean that is lacking in most heroes, even seasoned Avengers in terms of hervresponses. Re X Red, Jean needed to do this more exactly cos it was a new team, not an established team that knows each others powers / abilities and can anticipate each other’s moves.

I agree in somecrecent stories Jean has not been very effectual, but this is nit the same as being powered diwn, for me I want to see how Jean deals and learns from this, to use her powers in new ways, or finds other methods of fighting.

My problem is her being inactive and passive because she wants to save the villain, thereby putting more lives in danger.

-typhoid fever: Jean gets into typhoid Marys mind and instead of shutting her down and putting her to sleep or trapping her in her mind, Jean starts trying to give a therapy session, allowing Mary to break free and continue to cause mayhem. She could have taken her out, brought her to the mansion and then tried to help her there, not in the middle of battle where Mary is attacking the minds of thousands of people.

-Xmen Red, Jean confronts Cassandra Nova and frees Rachel. They show that Jean is stronger than Nova plus Jean is amped by Searebro. Instead of Jean taking her down here, she let's her go again, allowing her to kidnap a plane full of people and an heli carrier. If Nova was the way she in New Xmen, she would used the carrier to bomb a few cities already

-those are the two incidences that have annoyed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del torro View Post
    My problem is her being inactive and passive because she wants to save the villain, thereby putting more lives in danger.

-typhoid fever: Jean gets into typhoid Marys mind and instead of shutting her down and putting her to sleep or trapping her in her mind, Jean starts trying to give a therapy session, allowing Mary to break free and continue to cause mayhem. She could have taken her out, brought her to the mansion and then tried to help her there, not in the middle of battle where Mary is attacking the minds of thousands of people.

-Xmen Red, Jean confronts Cassandra Nova and frees Rachel. They show that Jean is stronger than Nova plus Jean is amped by Searebro. Instead of Jean taking her down here, she let's her go again, allowing her to kidnap a plane full of people and an heli carrier. If Nova was the way she in New Xmen, she would used the carrier to bomb a few cities already

-those are the two incidences that have annoyed me.
    exactly, there's being a pacifist and then there's being dangerously naive, going into a battlefield to give heartwarming speeches won't help anyone. there's a time and a place for everything, mix them up and it's a recipe for disaster (see her exchange with nate grey).
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

With someone at the level of Nate Gray I think it's more reasonable to try to talk tbh.

It did not work, but charge all against him nor had worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Retcon View Post
    Next week on cosmic rider destroy marvel universe

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Next week on cosmic rider destroy marvel universe
    Cates is the Marvel writer who sells the most right now thanks to Venom.

The editorial lets him do whatever he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Cates is the Marvel writer who sells the most right now thanks to Venom.

The editorial lets him do whatever he wants.
    it is a comedy book not written by donny cates

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    it is a comedy book not written by donny cates
    It's not his? Being Cosmic Ghost Rider, I assumed it was his.

With someone at the level of Nate Gray I think it's more reasonable to try to talk tbh.

It did not work, but charge all against him nor had worked.
    I'm referring to the instant where she kinda had him in a corner, she used that "empathy attack" and then she kinda backed off, Jean gave him reprise just because he seemed to be stressed by it.....I just think it was the right moment to go for the "kill", I'm not saying it would have worked but considering the gravity of the situation you do have to at least try.

jn01.jpg
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    I'm referring to the instant where she kinda had him in a corner, she used that "empathy attack" and then she kinda backed off, Jean gave him reprise just because he seemed to be stressed by it.....I just think it was the right moment to go for the "kill", I'm not saying it would have worked but considering the gravity of the situation you do have to at least try.

jn01.jpg
    Oh, okay.

I was thinking about when Dark Phoenix Saga Scott already had Phoenix!Jean practically reassured and Xavier attacks in the back worsening the whole situation.

Oh, okay.

I was thinking about when Dark Phoenix Saga Scott already had Phoenix!Jean practically reassured and Xavier attacks in the back worsening the whole situation.
    yhea you make a good case, the difference I see here is that while DP was just rage and fury in the case of X-man it's all about it's philosophical belief/ view on life, while scott's love could work on a crazed Jean I doubt good feelings were ever going to change Nate cold logical convictions.

Jean understanding and caring approach would have conversely work wonders in the case of house of M Wanda but sadly she was not there to help, if you think about it the "thirst for a violent approach" made the house of M situation worse at every turn, first the heroes decided to kill wanda and pietro to protect her persuaded his sister into the first reality alteration, then in the final confrontation Magneto violence and Clint stupid arrows sent Scarlet witch spiraling out of control ultimately contributing to the "no more mutant" disaster.
    Last edited by Daedra; 04-25-2019 at 09:37 AM.