Page 268 of 626 FirstFirst ... 168218258264265266267268269270271272278318368 ... LastLast
Results 4,006 to 4,020 of 9381

The hip new thing is to blame Xavier for everything and build him a rap sheet of bad things he did "super secretly as a secret in secret". This is what happens when some writer tries to 'deconstruct' a character retroactively that's typically been portrayed as being pure as the driven snow.
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 07-07-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    The hip new thing is to blame Xavier for everything and build him a rap sheet of bad things he did "super secretly as a secret in secret". This is what happens when some writer tries to 'deconstruct' a character that's typically portrayed as being pure as the driven snow.
    Or it could be humanizing an otherwise mythological iconoclast. There are a million stories where Magneto is portrayed as evil but redeemed. The opposite should hold true for Xavier —good, but crooked. Muddying the waters and showing grays is great, and forces the individual X-Men to make their own ethical choices.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Or it could be humanizing an otherwise mythological iconoclast. There are a million stories where Magneto is portrayed and evil but redeemed. The opposite should hold true for Xavier —good, but crooked. Muddying the waters and showing grays is great, and forces the individual X-Men to make their own ethical choices.
    Yeah, that only happens when the writing is good and doesn't blow up in editorial's face.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

The hip new thing is to blame Xavier for everything and build him a rap sheet of bad things he did "super secretly as a secret in secret". This is what happens when some writer tries to 'deconstruct' a character retroactively that's typically been portrayed as being pure as the driven snow.
    Yeah, that only happens when the writing is good and doesn't blow up in editorial's face.
    I agree. Some times people try to make the characters deeper and complex with this but 99% of the times they just end up looking bad.

Or it could be humanizing an otherwise mythological iconoclast. There are a million stories where Magneto is portrayed as evil but redeemed. The opposite should hold true for Xavier —good, but crooked. Muddying the waters and showing grays is great, and forces the individual X-Men to make their own ethical choices.
    I get your point but i think Xavier works better as a teacher and paternal figure. When they try to make him edgy he just becomes unlikeable, for what? there are already a lot of edgelords. I hope Marvel never applies that philosophy to Jean.
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 07-07-2019 at 09:34 PM.

Clearly there’s a difference in opinion, if not taste.

I’m not advocating for an “edgelord” Xavier.

Clearly there’s a difference in opinion, if not taste.

I’m not advocating for an “edgelord” Xavier.
    I understand. I'm just a little worried because that's usually were that ends. Not always but usually.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I agree. Some times people try to make the characters deeper and complex with this but 99% of the times they just end up looking bad.

I get your point but i think Xavier works better as a teacher and paternal figure. When they try to make him edgy he just becomes unlikeable, for what? there are already a lot of edgelords. I hope Marvel never applies that philosophy to Jean.
    I think there's room for him to be a fallible human while also being a teacher/paternal figure. That's why I liked what Mike Carey was doing with Xavier he re-examined Xavier's choices through a modern lens and (through the framing of M-Day) asked the question if it was all worth it in the end. The problem as you pointed out is when they lean to heavily into "******* Xavier".

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I think there's room for him to be a fallible human while also being a teacher/paternal figure. That's why I liked what Mike Carey was doing with Xavier he re-examined Xavier's choices through a modern lens and (through the framing of M-Day) asked the question if it was all worth it in the end. The problem as you pointed out is when they lean to heavily into "******* Xavier".
    When you like a character, you like him/her for being a likable human, faillible, three-dimensional and all… like you are, like we are all.
    The times when he/she is depicted in a way unusual are easily forgotten… you simply don't recognize him/her anymore. And when someone says: "Oh, he/she is an *******!" you don't understand.
    I don't want to be off-topic, but I remember faillible, very faillible Xavier, I don't remember "*******" Xavier…

BANNED

Doesn't Charles Xavier have his own thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post
    Doesn't Charles Xavier have his own thread?
    He has. Strangely he is more discussed outside.

BANNED

Well, so much for Appreciating Jean Grey in her own thread then.

I appreciate her very much: she is one of the most sane, stable and kindest X-men.
    "Young Jean" much less… I must admit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post
    Well, so much for Appreciating Jean Grey in her own thread then.
    True, lets post cool Jeans.
    D2IqvtmXgAQnWaz.jpg
    tumblr_p3mlkgTzpx1tgo8o0o1_500.jpg
    52838467_2435171929887016_2077991461342465769_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I appreciate her very much: she is one of the most sane, stable and kindest X-men.
    "Young Jean" much less… I must admit.
    Teen Jean being more reckless was so cool. I love Jean being kind but with adult Jean it can go to the extreme. Teen Jean didn't care.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Teen Jean felt like a natural extension of Simonson's Jean, or even Morrison's, in that she was kind and felt like Jean (mostly under Lemire and Bunn, but even under Bendis) but was more assertive and fiery. She kind of felt that way a few times in Red, too. The best Jean is one who is kind, compassionate, and emotional. When she's docile it makes her feel depthless.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey