Page 412 of 626 FirstFirst ... 312362402408409410411412413414415416422462512 ... LastLast
Results 6,166 to 6,180 of 9381

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    How do you guys/girls think she is coming back?
    was this Jean a clone/pod people replacement?

Do you think she could have somewhat survived?
    We saw a bunch or sentinels go for her and Xavier losing contact but we never actually saw her die.
    I think she died and somewhere orbiting the sun there's a sardine box full of freshly squized Jean's juice, I guess those pods and the mutants crawling out of them are supposed to come into play somehow
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

This is a very unpopular opinion.
    I know Jean has done very little so far but I don't think it is something personal or that Hickman is againts Jean or anything. The story just isn't focusing so much on any character outside of Xavier/Moira/Magneto. (he could and should do a better job that is true)

Nothing personal, it doesn't mean (or at least I think) her portrayal will be bad on X-men or X-force. This story is just focusing on other characters/story
    Yeah that was the case for the first few issues but HoX 4 was the first one that put all the emphasis on the X-men and the ones we saw went out like champs. Jean was the only one with a pathetic showing on that mission. I guess at least she didnt die offscreen like Warren and Paige but what was done with her was more offensive to the character

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Yeah that was the case for the first few issues but HoX 4 was the first one that put all the emphasis on the X-men and the ones we saw went out like champs. Jean was the only one with a pathetic showing on that mission. I guess at least she didnt die offscreen like Warren and Paige but what was done with her was more offensive to the character
    Exactly, just try to write Ororo, Emma or Scott the same way and wait for the outrage to explode
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I'm still looking forward to Jean being on X-Force. It's a completely different writer, and I'm happy to see Jean on a team she isn't associated with.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    Exactly, just try to write Ororo, Emma or Scott the same way and wait for the outrage to explode
    Hickman know very well what he is doing, with Jean he can avoid the outrage

Even if the writing wasnt always the best, I loved the trajectory she was on following her return and its unfortunate that it was all thrown out the window for Hickman's revamp. Im not impressed so far and not optimistic for Jean's future. I guess X-Force could be interesting bc its different but I would have loved to have seen her take a more diplomatic role in this Krakoa era. Have her be the face that leads the X-men in terms of politics with the outside world. Basically an extension of where she was going in Red
    Seems like this is the Nightcrawler role

Jean role is the complete opposite of Red, she is basically a CIA agent
    Last edited by spirit2011; 09-05-2019 at 10:41 AM.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

It felt like aside from Monet the other space team consisted of pod batch versions of Scott, Kurt, Logan, Jean and even Raven felt off. Like they were earlier versions of these characters coming through. Jean read like pre-Phoenix Jean to me in many ways, or like a damsel Jean that Xavier needed. Kurt sounded right but he felt more like an earlier and less dark version of himself. His exchange with Karima seemed to jovial and short than what I would have expected. So yeah, I'm in the "things aren't as they seem" bucket and I am sure we'll get a more true version of Jean moving out of this opening act.

I didnt like Xavier calling Jean "child" when she is a grown ass woman. That seems off and may be another hint to him intentionally reverting her back to her early days

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    He is on first issue of x-men. besides Moira, it is on Charles and Magneto qhere story spends a really good time

I think only Jean is getting the short stick. It's clear what characters Hickman likes to write

That was a big feat even with Monet help, but the characterization was really off.
    And I think this was the problem no real emphasis or stakes were placed on what Jean was doing so her entire contribution in her first real issue felt not only incredibly passive but so inexperienced!

But somehow that's not the whole story, look at the way Kurt was portrayed .....or Monet.... or Scott ....or Logan , it's like we were meeting the x-men newest member the adolescent Jean Grey, you could write the same story without going out of your way to make her look like an scared overly emotional debutante
    Exactly, if he could nail Emma, Monet, and literally everyone else in less panels Jean could have been given something more!

Which is why some of comments in the HOX 4 thread are so laughable Jean is WAY too reactive, hell he wrote a better Fantastic Four in less panels.

I didnt like Xavier calling Jean "child" when she is a grown ass woman. That seems off and may be another hint to him intentionally reverting her back to her early days

Ugh, maybe it's just me or maybe Morrison spoiled us, but I hate when Jean is thrusted into the young ingenue role in regards to Xavier. She hasn't been a student for years yet anytime Jean is near Charles she becomes the inexperienced young student looking to her teacher for guidance. The problem is Jean's interaction with him are so much more less than how he interacts with Scott, Logan, Ororo, Emma or any of the longstanding X-men. I hoped she wouldn't take the backseat to Xavier but maybe she's perpetually stuck in that role and as a fan it sucks!

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Xavier is very paternal with the O5, specially Jean and Scott.
    I don't think he calling any of them child is something denigrating but a sign of affection.

It all seems too obvious, Jean act too much like her marvel girl days and using MG costume. I don't think Hickman is that obvious when telling stories

Xavier is very paternal with the O5, specially Jean and Scott.
    I don't think he calling any of them child is something denigrating but a sign of affection.
    You dont call someone who is your peer, child. Jean grew out of that role a long time ago and its not the dynamic they've had for some time. It is highly suspect, especially when she has reverted to wearing her Marvel Girl costume, the codename and her portrayal is more in line with her 60s version.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

You dont call someone who is your peer, child. Jean grew out of that role a long time ago and its not the dynamic they've had for some time. It is highly suspect, especially when she has reverted to wearing her Marvel Girl costume, the codename and her portrayal is more in line with her 60s version.
    I mean I know Jean is no longer his student, I'm just pointing that it is a sign of affection (at least it is how i see it)
    He was calling Scott son too even on AvX.

I mean I know Jean is no longer his student, I'm just pointing that it is a sign of affection (at least it is how i see it)
    That is because he was appealing to Scott emotional.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    And I think this was the problem no real emphasis or stakes were placed on what Jean was doing so her entire contribution in her first real issue felt not only incredibly passive but so inexperienced!
    yeah a "i can't keep the TP communication and do TP attacks because the distance is too big". I think that with Monet helping she could do TK too, only when Monet was gone she should focus all on TP.
    And I thought Jean would shield the spaceship from the explosion LOL she ended up injuring herself

Exactly, if he could nail Emma, Monet, and literally everyone else in less panels Jean could have been given something more!
    Which is why some of comments in the HOX 4 thread are so laughable Jean is WAY too reactive, hell he wrote a better Fantastic Four in less panels.
    He wrote a better Invisble WOMAN. He clearly knows how to write characters well even with few panels.
    Jean is reactive and do it very badly. She waits for Charlie orders, can't decide anything

Child and son carry different connotations

How do you guys/girls think she is coming back?
    was this Jean a clone/pod people replacement?

Do you think she could have somewhat survived?
    We saw a bunch or sentinels go for her and Xavier losing contact but we never actually saw her die.
    Well she died, again... very orignal mr Hickman