Page 594 of 626 FirstFirst ... 94494544584590591592593594595596597598604 ... LastLast
Results 8,896 to 8,910 of 9381

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    As of the last issue, Jean is back to being called Marvel Girl in the cast roster. I wonder if this was an error. Anyways, hated the dialogue between she and Emma. It was cringeworthy as Hickman's attempt at shade/humor fell flat
    It was probably an error to list her as Jean before. I think she's gonna continue going as Marvel Girl, even after she changes costumes(assuming she's gonna be wearing the Red green/yellow one after the annual).

Thy should make the transition from marvel girl to marvel woman

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    It was probably an error to list her as Jean before. I think she's gonna continue going as Marvel Girl, even after she changes costumes(assuming she's gonna be wearing the Red green/yellow one after the annual).
    Im not sure Jean was an error, bc its been used in 4 issues and MG was only used here. I thought they were slowly phasing the MG persona out especially with her going back to her Red suit soon

Im not sure Jean was an error, bc its been used in 4 issues and MG was only used here. I thought they were slowly phasing the MG persona out especially with her going back to her Red suit soon
    Hickman thinks everyone should have some codename because it's their "mutant name". Though I don't think they've been paying much attention to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Hickman thinks everyone should have some codename because it's their "mutant name". Though I don't think they've been paying much attention to that.
    LOL...it will feel so odd if he has her referred to as MG in her Red suit

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

It should be Marvel Woman, Phoenix or Jean Grey but never Marvel Girl. That's her teenage superhero name.
    it feels weird, as Superman going by superboy. That's how it feels to me

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    It should be Marvel Woman, Phoenix or Jean Grey but never Marvel Girl. That's her teenage superhero name.
    it feels weird, as Superman going by superboy. That's how it feels to me
    Invisible woman was once invisible girl.

A codename like Marvel Woman would feel better if she was more important for the wider marvel universe

There's nothing wrong with just Jean Grey as I feel its the name is she is most known as even above Phoenix. Jean Grey is what has been primarily used for her branding and considering they chose to name her Giant Sized issue, Jean Grey, I have a feeling its what she will officially be going by next year. I cant help but think that her use of Marvel Girl was a way for Marvel to keep the trademark active since there isnt currently an AU version of the character using it at the moment

There's nothing wrong with just Jean Grey as I feel its the name is she is most known as even above Phoenix. Jean Grey is what has been primarily used for her branding and considering they chose to name her Giant Sized issue, Jean Grey, I have a feeling its what she will officially be going by next year. I cant help but think that her use of Marvel Girl was a way for Marvel to keep the trademark active since there isnt currently an AU version of the character using it at the moment
    They used it a bit on X-men blue. But without a comic book series called "Marvel Girl", they can lose the name like DC lost captain marvel
    I know that Marvel asked to copyright the name Jean Grey, no sure if they succeed

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    They used it a bit on X-men blue. But without a comic book series called "Marvel Girl", they can lose the name like DC lost captain marvel
    I know that Marvel asked to copyright the name Jean Grey, no sure if they succeed
    yeah but Blue ended last year, which is why I suspected she took it this year

yeah but Blue ended last year, which is why I suspected she took it this year
    But it guarantees copyrights? If it does, I don't think they need to use the name every year. Marvel release some minis to hold copyright names

But it guarantees copyrights? If it does, I don't think they need to use the name every year. Marvel release some minis to hold copyright names
    Not every year. I dont know what the length of time in comics needs to be but I know it isnt annualy. It could just be that Marvel used it here to extend that as they dont have any plans to use it in the next couple of years. This is all speculation

You are confusing copyright and trademark.

Quote Originally Posted by Narasinha View Post
    You are confusing copyright and trademark.
    I always confuse it

I always confuse it
    Copyright protects someone's work. You don't need to "register" it or whatever. It's automatic: you can't copy or re-use someone's work without his permission. There is also no expiration (some work can fall into "public domain" after 70 years or more (for recent works) after the death of the author).

Trademark protects a brand. It needs to be registered and renewed. You also need to use the brand regularly to keep it registered. You can't register a name or common word because it's not distinctive enough so you can't register "Jean Grey". But you could register a "Jean Grey" logo or a distinctive character. Also a trademark must be limited in scoop (Ie it apply only to a specific domain in relation with a specific type of produces. Ie if you trademark a comic book character with the name "Jean Grey", it won't apply to a mark of pants called "Jean Grey".

Marvel didn't got a trademak on Jean Grey's logo or anything related to Jean Grey so there is nothing that can expire. Which doesn't mean that someone could make stories about a character named Jean Grey who is a redhead with super-power because that would infringe on the copyright.

You are probable confusing with the stuff about Captain Marvel: A company trademarked a comic with a character called "Captain Marvel". DC sued them because (they said) the character was too similar to Superman, which was already trademarked. As a result, the first company had to stop publishing their Captain Marvel comic.

But DC didn't trademarked their own comic called Captain Marvel so Marvel was free to create their own book and trademark it (as they didn't used a character that was too similar to one of the DC's brands).

Later DC got the right to the original Captain Marvel comic but they couldn't use the name anymore in the context of a comic book as Marvel had trademarked the character for a comic book already.