Page 41 of 151 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Yeah but they milked that well dry and are currently digging into the Earth's crust to keep mining that drama well.
    What happens when they hit the earth's core?
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    Uh...to make things worse...Jean and Magneto have an AU kid?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

wow, that's a really interesting question
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 01-30-2019 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I would honestly prefer if Marvel did something cute with them but they don't seem very interested at the moment.
    I mean what was said a few post before is true Jean and Scott are so deepely connected from the very startt of the books to this day, their story is so intertwined that what happens to one of the characters has an effect on the other, even if they are not together and they will reach levels they aren't going to share with someone else. It would be so awesome if that connection was developed instead of sabotaged. How much fun would that be
    The answer is, a lot of fun. In todays age of huge event's, massive battles and ever increasing power levels, Scott and Jean spending an romantic weekend in Greece, trying exotic foods, getting a little tipsy and getting taken by the local merchants just doesn't measure up in the minds of the creators. I think the answer is that you need both of those elements. Life's struggles can come in many forms. The fantastic is obviously what the X-Men's about, but it shouldn't be all they're about.

Kitty's fairy tale was a look at the world of the X-Men through the eyes of a child. It was sweet and enduring and it developed Kitty as a character. One of the enduring questions on these boards seems to be "why don't the newer X-Men ever catch on?". I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that the senior members got great development stories back in the day, which today's comics just can't seem to support. What they can support is leaning into the development that came before. It's so much easier to write a story about Rey or Yana or Kitty than a newer character because we have such a clearer sense of who they are. That came from the big stories yes, but it also came from the quieter ones. I miss that Marvel immensely.

I don't really think there's an end to it. Let's put this in context. JDW says X-Men is a soap opera. Let's compare it the longest running American tv equivalent, which would be General Hospital. It focuses almost completely on the kind of relationship drama JDW is talking about. Like the X-Men it started in the early 60's but instead of producing a product once every month or two, it produced a show ever single day of the week for 55 seasons. That's over 14,000 episodes in that span or about 254 episodes per year. Since 1978 each episode has been an hour long. The X-Men could run nothing but pure drama for the next century and not come close to what's been done on that show.

There is no end.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    I don't really think there's an end to it. Let's put this in context. JDW says X-Men is a soap opera. Let's compare it the longest running American tv equivalent, which would be General Hospital. It focuses almost completely on the kind of relationship drama JDW is talking about. Like the X-Men it started in the early 60's but instead of producing a product once every month or two, it produced a show ever single day of the week for 55 seasons. That's over 14,000 episodes in that span or about 254 episodes per year. Since 1978 each episode has been an hour long. The X-Men could run nothing but pure drama for the next century and not come close to what's been done on that show.

There is no end.
    55 seasons! unbelievable
    Are there any stable relationships on that show?
    I can't imagine one lasting that long
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 01-30-2019 at 10:00 PM.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Um, anyone have a joke that might lessen the tension?
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

The Aristocrats.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

55 seasons! unbelievable
    Are there any stable relationships on that show?
    I can't imagine one lasting that long
    I don't know a lot about the shows history but I am shamefully familiar with Days of our Lives which is pretty similar. I used to watch it as a teen with my mom in the late 80's early 90's. Ahh the years before YouTube or NetFlix's. Good times. All the relationships tend to be cyclical but most characters sorta have that someone their supposed to be with. Usually they end up with that person or end up back with them after years of separation, death, mind control, amnesia, etc. Sound familiar? The beauty of soaps is that the actors tend to stay on for decades so that means they age. Usually as the characters age they kinda settle down and just laugh at the drama of the next generation, when they're not angsting about it.

The X-Men's status quo being stuck in perpetual youth prevents that. It's an idea of Claremont's that I think had real merit. The idea that people grow old and move on from the X-Men or their roles change to non-combat, or they only show up for very special circumstances. I think the X-Books would benefit from that approach immensely.

The problem is that if Marvel obeyed Claremont we wouldn't have Jean or Scott as characters to this day. Jean would have stayed dead and Scott out of the books or killed too.

The problem is that if Marvel obeyed Claremont we wouldn't have Jean or Scott as characters to this day. Jean would have stayed dead and Scott out of the books or killed too.
    If Marvel obeyed Claremont, Jean wouldnt have been killed in the first place. Her death was one of the first editorial mandate decisions beyond his control

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    If Marvel obeyed Claremont, Jean wouldnt have been killed in the first place. Her death was one of the first editorial mandate decisions beyond his control
    Damn, you're right. I forgot about this.

But Jean and Cyclops probably would have retired from the X-books early on or would have had minor roles. i mean his plan was retiring them and giving the characters a happy ending.

Damn, you're right. I forgot about this.

But Jean and Cyclops probably would have retired from the X-books early on or would have had minor roles. i mean his plan was retiring them and giving the characters a happy ending.
    They'd be running the institute or off doing real world jobs, raising kids and dealing with life. Their kids would probably be senior X-Men themselves by now. The beauty of children is that they often carry on their parents view and qualities, whether they wish to or not. I'd gladly trade many good years of Jean and Scott guest starring in books here and there, watching their kids grow into the roles their parents once held and maybe finding partners and having children of their own in exchange for this perpetual youth. It's unnatural and it disconnect the X-Men from the central truth of the human condition which is change.

Nope, time flows slow on the marvel universe nothing of that would have happened. Frankling richards is the most iconic kid of the most stable marriage on the marvel universe and he is just 15 or so.

Jean and scott could have had kids but they would have died or would have get the cable treatment. Because in all honestly kids are pretty boring if they are just a token for a ship. Its one of the cool things about cable, he is his own character indenpently of his connection to jean and scott, rachel too.

Nope, time flows slow on the marvel universe nothing of that would have happened. Frankling richards is the most iconic kid of the most stable marriage on the marvel universe and he is just 15 or so.

Jean and scott could have had kids but they would have died or would have get the cable treatment. Because in all honestly kids are pretty boring if they are just a token for a ship. Its one of the cool things about cable, he is his own character indenpently of his connection to jean and scott, rachel too.
    What Claremont was talking about was a world where the characters progressed. This was before "Marvel Time" existed PZ23. The first thing Claremont did was graduate the X-Men and ship them off to college\the real world. That's the original ANAD team's reason for being. Scott couldn't "X-Men" all by himself. So in this world of change and growth, kids wouldn't be killed off, and lives of the older X-Men would proceed much more life ours do in the real world. Claremont essentially said the world of the X-Men was no way to live long term and he couldn't imagine anyone staying for any serious length of time. I think he planned to retire Jean and Scott in their early twenties. So if there kids went on to become X-Men (like Cable did), I don't see that as boring. I actually see it a really cool way to change the guard will still keeping the older X-Men around to parachute in occasionally and show the kids how it's done.