Page 61 of 103 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast

Dark Horse's Sept solicits.

Black Hammer/Justice League: Hammer of Justice #3 (of 5)
    Jeff Lemire (W, Michael Walsh (A/C/Cover), Nate Powell (Variant Cover), Ray Fawkes (Variant Cover), Tradd Moore (Variant Cover), and Evan Shaner (Variant Cover)
    On sale Sept 11
    FC, 32 pages
    $3.99
    Miniseries
    DC Comics and Dark Horse Comics present the ultimate superhero crossover event of 2019!
    Dropped into the DC universe, the Black Hammer heroes find themselves captured by members of the Justice League who blame them for the cosmic switch—and on the Black Hammer Farm, the displaced DC heroes search for answers and a way out of their bucolic prison. But Colonel Weird and the Green Lantern discover that the solution to this riddle may not be so simple.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    What do you think are the best issues or best storyline for John Stewart?
    This is probably my favorite John Stewart story in print:

There is also a fourth issue, but I don't think the forum software will let me post four issues.

Overall, the story is good, but it's also frustrating because John Stewart is bizarrely ineffective at times, because he's so crippled by guilt, and he literally wishes he was Hal Jordan and admits that he always waits for Hal Jordan to get him out of tough spots because he can't himself, which is pretty darn groan worthy. It's also pretty surprising that he believably develops a romantic relationship with Rose Hardin, one of Hal Jordan's girlfriends. This was likely set up by the writer very early on, though, so it works.

I would recommend this story to a person over the Mosaic ongoing, but for some extremely weird reason I haven't figured out, people don't like to talk about or read this story. Weird, because it's one of John's best stories in print. I'm guessing because a lot of John's fans aren't hardcore enough to hunt stuff like this down and read it, but I was. I own all of his worthwhile comics appearance, but I admittedly sold his first appearance for hundreds of dollars when I decided the character wasn't really worth investing in that much. But I guess I still have it in a Green Lantern/Green Arrow trade I have.

But his best stories overall are probably Legends, Hearts and Minds, Starcrossed, and maybe The Savage Time from the Justice League animated series.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 06-21-2019 at 05:56 PM.

It's also pretty surprising that he believably develops a romantic relationship with Rose Hardin, one of Hal Jordan's girlfriends.
    You know, the more I read, the more annoying I find it to realize just how many women have dated multiple Earth Lanterns. On the one hand, if you travel in the same circles there may be some inter-dating. But they do seem to take it to extremes. It makes more sense, though, when the women are Lanterns, too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    You know, the more I read, the more annoying I find it to realize just how many women have dated multiple Earth Lanterns. On the one hand, if you travel in the same circles there may be some inter-dating. But they do seem to take it to extremes. It makes more sense, though, when the women are Lanterns, too.
    It's pretty silly, yeah. The only reason I give the Rose Hardin thing lee-way is because I'm pretty sure it was always Gerard Jones' intention for John to wind up with Rose, and for Hal to eventually wind up with Carol again. But Jones took his time reintroducing Carol again, because the previous run had it where she was permanently a possessed Star Sapphire, and he had a to do a whole storyline to get Carol Ferris back to normal, and Jones didn't feel like leading his run with that story right away. If it had just come out of nowhere or was rushed or unbelievable, I'd be way more critical of this particular instance.

That said, it seems Jones did things this way as a catalyst to build up a lot of tension between Hal and John, which I guess is a pretty legitimate thing to do in storytelling.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 06-21-2019 at 06:21 PM.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Hal was thinkin' the least I can do is help the brotha walk again after eating him house & home.
    He lets it all hang out XD

anyway what's your favorite John design, I like the Bronze Age one
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I like that fact that John has an employable skill if he ever decided to retire.

John made enough to support three people, lol.

what city was this? What area was John based out of at the time?

I tossed this idea out on the Cyborg thread, I wanted to see how you guys feel about it:
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    An interesting idea that I had (inspired by Nispey Hussle's (RIP) smart shop) is he [Cyborg] and John Stewart open an architectural firm that specialize in tech-savvy affordable homes for the underprivileged. John provides the specs and oversees construction and Cyborg provides the necessary engineering and technical improvements.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    what city was this? What area was John based out of at the time?
    Coast City, it says so in the second panel

BANNED

I really don't understand Christopher Priest's story there. I actually don't understand his entire Green Lantern run. I actually opened the comic up now and decided to have a look at it. It's pretty terrible, aside from the Gil Kane art. But the story is just so weird. So, Carol Ferris wants to make Hal Jordan mad, so she kills John Stewart's wife!? Huh!? It would have made a lot more sense plot-wise to kill Arisia, who was also living with John Stewart, and who was also Hal Jordan's girlfriend. It would have made more sense because Arisia actually had an intimate connection with Hal Jordan that Katma did not have, and Arisia was actually Hal Jordan's current girlfriend, and Star Sapphire would feel bitter about that. Katma doesn't have anything to do with any of that. I don't endorse killing Arisia, but if he was going to kill anyone, she would have made a lot more sense. One day I would actually like to ask Priest some questions about his weird Green Lantern run. I would say it's one of the weirdest Green Lantern runs and one of the worst, if not THE worst. Such a shame, because he came right after Steve Englehart's run, which is probably my favorite, contending very closely with Gerard Jones.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 06-22-2019 at 03:08 PM.

I tossed this idea out on the Cyborg thread, I wanted to see how you guys feel about it:
    I had a similar thought about Vic, but in mine, he'd be alone and transform an entire city into a tech utopia (think of Shigeru Komatsuzaki's artwork). That would be one of my first steps to boosting him up to JL snuff if they're gonna keep him there, his own city in the Detroit area.

I like your idea in theory, but unless DC decides to actually do something (I mean like "founding JL member" do something) with Cyborg instead of treating him like trash (it almost seems like it's on purpose sometimes with the way he's treated like a b**** and always getting dismantled/ripped apart), then I'd keep John away from that dumpster fire.

Ultimate Member

It would probably make a nice one shot story to promote programs that do stuff like that-like Warrick Dunn does it in Atlanta.

As for a main story-the usual suspects would throw a fit about it. How dare you show them as caring humans.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    I had a similar thought about Vic, but in mine, he'd be alone and transform an entire city into a tech utopia (think of Shigeru Komatsuzaki's artwork).
    Cyborg is animesque already.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    I had a similar thought about Vic, but in mine, he'd be alone and transform an entire city into a tech utopia (think of Shigeru Komatsuzaki's artwork). That would be one of my first steps to boosting him up to JL snuff if they're gonna keep him there, his own city in the Detroit area.

I like your idea in theory, but unless DC decides to actually do something (I mean like "founding JL member" do something) with Cyborg instead of treating him like trash (it almost seems like it's on purpose sometimes with the way he's treated like a b**** and always getting dismantled/ripped apart), then I'd keep John away from that dumpster fire.
    I think if we put two of DC's most prominent characters of color together in a scenario where their competence is vital to the story like that, it's gonna be had to **** it up. All they gotta do is put someone on the book who is conscious of their portrayal (easier said than done, sure, but possible), preferably someone of color, and it could be a great way to boost both of their profiles. Imagine what their firm's HQ would be like, a space-aged office/living space with a lab where they could work and store Vic's creations and all types of stuff from their adventures. It could be wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It would probably make a nice one shot story to promote programs that do stuff like that-like Warrick Dunn does it in Atlanta.

As for a main story-the usual suspects would throw a fit about it. How dare you show them as caring humans.
    Let them throw a fit, maybe they'll hate buy it, inadvertently boost the sales, and ironically make it a staple of the characters' dynamic

Besides, those type of trolls are a vocal minority, if the story is solid it won't matter. It didn't stop Duke from existing, it didn't stop John Stewart back in the day, it didn't stop Ironheart or Miles Morales, if DC sticks to their guns they can pull it off.

It's all in theory anyway, just an idea I had. Glad I'm not crazy for thinking it's at least a decent idea
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-22-2019 at 05:46 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Ultimate Member

Let them throw a fit, maybe they'll hate buy it, inadvertently boost the sales, and ironically make it a staple of the characters' dynamic

Besides, those type of trolls are a vocal minority, if the story is solid it won't matter. It didn't stop Duke from existing, it didn't stop John Stewart back in the day, it didn't stop Ironheart or Miles Morales, if DC sticks to their guns they can pull it off.

It's all in theory anyway, just an idea I had. Glad I'm not crazy for thinking it's at least a decent idea
    The idea is not bad in fact it adds to what I posted for a series.

Why can't the two of them build on a new planet homes for people? Cyborg has a mother box after all. Couldn't he incorporate portals so someone could get to point a or b without long traveling?

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I really don't understand Christopher Priest's story there. I actually don't understand his entire Green Lantern run. I actually opened the comic up now and decided to have a look at it. It's pretty terrible, aside from the Gil Kane art. But the story is just so weird. So, Carol Ferris wants to make Hal Jordan mad, so she kills John Stewart's wife!? Huh!? It would have made a lot more sense plot-wise to kill Arisia, who was also living with John Stewart, and who was also Hal Jordan's girlfriend. It would have made more sense because Arisia actually had an intimate connection with Hal Jordan that Katma did not have, and Arisia was actually Hal Jordan's current girlfriend, and Star Sapphire would feel bitter about that. Katma doesn't have anything to do with any of that. I don't endorse killing Arisia, but if he was going to kill anyone, she would have made a lot more sense. One day I would actually like to ask Priest some questions about his weird Green Lantern run. I would say it's one of the weirdest Green Lantern runs and one of the worst, if not THE worst. Such a shame, because he came right after Steve Englehart's run, which is probably my favorite, contending very closely with Gerard Jones.
    Action Comics Weekly was a disaster for Green Lantern. From what I've heard they ended Englehart's run (tbf he'd run out of steam after his peak with the COIE related stories) so that GL would be the star to carry the book. Then they proceeded to trash everything that made Green Lantern sell well under Englehart.