Page 99 of 103 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103 LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 1538

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so is John on a deep(er) space mission? what's his role with Jessica and Simon primarily on Earth's galaxy?
    John's on Earth serving as the League's Lantern in their fight against Perpetua, Simon has been MIA since Green Lanterns got canned for Morrison's run and Jess is in deep space leading Justice League Odyssey
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

The Action Bendables line of toys

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    PASS. John has the yellow ring. Let me guess the ring takes over and Hal saves him. Been there and done that. Until proven wrong-PASS.

We got enough black males being deconstructed around here-especially the ones with a billion dollar movie.
    Yea, I may not pick this one up. And even if John is well received, I can see arguments about John works better as a Yellow Lantern than a Green Lantern.

PASS. John has the yellow ring. Let me guess the ring takes over and Hal saves him. Been there and done that. Until proven wrong-PASS.

We got enough black males being deconstructed around here-especially the ones with a billion dollar movie.
    Doubt it will be like that. In EO the rings are just tools, anyone can pick them up and use them. Would be cool if it ends with John either getting a green or taking over the YLC.

John in Superman: Red Son:

BANNED

Looking forward to seeing John in animation again. From what's visible of his face, he looks like his DCAU iteration, which is cool since he's going to be voiced by Phil LaMarr. Hopefully he's more than just a cameo.

BANNED

From DC's March 2020 solicits:

Quote Originally Posted by Newsarama View Post

JUSTICE LEAGUE #42
    written by ROBERT VENDITTI
    art by AARON LOPRESTI and MATT RYAN
    cover by BRYAN HITCH
    card stock variant cover by MIKEL JANÍN
    The Justice League suffers defeat after defeat in the ever-tightening grip of the Eradicator. But do the heroes have a greater plan? It’s up to the Flash to outwit and outrun the onslaught of Daxamites, but his next step may be his last.
    ON SALE 03.04.20
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    CARD STOCK VARIANT COVER $4.99 US
    FC | DC
    This issue will ship with two covers.
    Please see the order form for details.

JUSTICE LEAGUE #43
    written by ROBERT VENDITTI
    art by DOUG MAHNKE and RICHARD FRIEND
    cover by BRYAN HITCH
    card stock variant cover by KAARE ANDREWS
    All secrets revealed! Caught in the Justice League’s trap, the Eradicator reveals the truth hidden in his circuits. And as Superman confronts his past defeat, it’s up to Wonder Woman to make a decision that will divide the team. The no-holds-barred war between the League and a murder machine with Superman’s face concludes!
    ON SALE 03.18.20
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    CARD STOCK VARIANT COVER $4.99 US
    FC | DC
    This issue will ship with two covers.
    Please see the order form for details.

JOHN STEWART

• 5.67"

SUPERMAN, WONDER WOMAN, MARTIAN MANHUNTER, THE FLASH, GREEN LANTERN JOHN STEWART, HAWKGIRL, AND AQUAMAN ACTION FIGURES
    Inspired by the fan-favorite Justice League animated TV series, this set includes all eight of the exclusive DC Universe action figures: Batman, Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern John Stewart, Hawkgirl, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, and Superman. All the figures are sculpted in the unique style of the show and finished with bright, bold colors.
    Hitch's art looks improved on this cover. I haven't liked his work since the Ultimates line. I like the green gloves on John.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 12-13-2019 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Yea, I may not pick this one up. And even if John is well received, I can see arguments about John works better as a Yellow Lantern than a Green Lantern.
    Sodam I respectfully can't ride with you on this one. so you'd miss out on an all too rare good outting for John because some people might say he works better as a yellow? what if he does? for all being a Green Lantern has done, when was the last time John got to shine as a Green Lantern? John has the least amount of exploration with the expanded Emotional Spectrum of the core four Lanterns, he should be allowed to go different **** like the other Lanterns too. did yall even read volume one? c'mon yall, it's essentially an elseworld, why are we limiting what John can and can't do while simultaneously criticizing DC for not doing enough with him?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Sodam I respectfully can't ride with you on this one. so you'd miss out on an all too rare good outting for John because some people might say he works better as a yellow? what if he does? for all being a Green Lantern has done, when was the last time John got to shine as a Green Lantern? John has the least amount of exploration with the expanded Emotional Spectrum of the core four Lanterns, he should be allowed to go different **** like the other Lanterns too. did yall even read volume one? c'mon yall, it's essentially an elseworld, why are we limiting what John can and can't do while simultaneously criticizing DC for not doing enough with him?
    Because it undermines his branding as GL, which is the branding he's known for, and put him in a secondary Corps, so that he doesn't impede on Hal Jordan's space. It's just a way to undercut John or to keep him from being a threat to the Hal Jordan hegemony. It's not the same as switching to a different Corps for an arc and to promote an action figure. It's a new origin in which he's not even a GL to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Because it undermines his branding as GL, which is the branding he's known for, and put him in a secondary Corps, so that he doesn't impede on Hal Jordan's space. It's just a way to undercut John or to keep him from being a threat to the Hal Jordan hegemony. It's not the same as switching to a different Corps for an arc and to promote an action figure. It's a new origin in which he's not even a GL to begin with.
    did White Lanterns undermine Kyle? Red undermine Guy? that argument doesn't make sense when literally every Lantern has done the same thing; and again, it's an elseworld! excuse the language but undermines my ass, you're reaching. when red son came out did Superman turn Russian? Did the Guardians suddenly stop making the rings chose after the first volume of Green Lantern: Earth One? I've said it one and I'll say it again, I'm tired of these unnecessary hoops we keep putting on characters of color through; they do more harm than good. can't talk about race, can't outshine this or that character, can't deviate too far from their old roles, can't progress in the roles they were given. all we have is an announcement and true to fandom bullshit form people are casting whole judgement on a story they haven't read that's a sequel to a story the probably didn't read either. but hey maybe I'm just the lesser John fan because I'm willing to give a story he's in a chance even though he's not overtly Space Jesus and he's next to Hal. meanwhile we got him in Red Son where he's WAY more likely to be playing second fiddle to Hal but that's better because at least he's Green while he's playing that tambourine.

currently following:

Ultimate Member

That right there is the ISSUE.
    One thing I have noticed is OUTSIDE of mainstream DC/Marvel proper comics-there is very little issues when it comes to POC being shown decently.
    It does not matter how good they are in those other projects-when they are still CRAP or MIA in the mainstream universe.

Let me give you another example-Archie Comics. Chuck Clayton had a WELL received trade in 2009.

What was Chuck's reward? Management wanted him to be as popular as Harley & Logan. So writers were told to include him in stuff. Want to see the results?

Minor cameos that rival the treatment Duke Thomas got in Batman. 1-he is the magical negro that help Archie in Archie 1951. 1-his story in Archie 1941? To get harassed by racists and saved by Moose. Lost Nancy to Ginger in Archie Afterlife. Showcased as a LOSER in Archie Married Life who gets upstaged by Nancy (like Black Panther does in his own book by EVERYBODY). Archie at Riverdale High-has YET to reprint his run as Archie's BBF from issue 14-90. One decent story in Archie the early years. TRASHED on the tv show Riverdale.
    His other new story was yanked out of a digest last year. In the reboot Archie Universe-has YET to appear in the main Archie book (a streak that is now at 10 years) and 5 panels in Jughead.
    So a guy whose trade is SOLD OUT at Archie-get treated like that. Sad thing is I can do this same thing for A LOT of black guys. Especially at DC.

That same book line did justice with Cyborg. How has that helped him?

That right there is the ISSUE.
    One thing I have noticed is OUTSIDE of mainstream DC/Marvel proper comics-there is very little issues when it comes to POC being shown decently.
    It does not matter how good they are in those other projects-when they are still CRAP or MIA in the mainstream universe.

Let me give you another example-Archie Comics. Chuck Clayton had a WELL received trade in 2009.

What was Chuck's reward? Management wanted him to be as popular as Harley & Logan. So writers were told to include him in stuff. Want to see the results?

Minor cameos that rival the treatment Duke Thomas got in Batman. 1-he is the magical negro that help Archie in Archie 1951. 1-his story in Archie 1941? To get harassed by racists and saved by Moose. Lost Nancy to Ginger in Archie Afterlife. Showcased as a LOSER in Archie Married Life who gets upstaged by Nancy (like Black Panther does in his own book by EVERYBODY). Archie at Riverdale High-has YET to reprint his run as Archie's BBF from issue 14-90. One decent story in Archie the early years. TRASHED on the tv show Riverdale.
    His other new story was yanked out of a digest last year. In the reboot Archie Universe-has YET to appear in the main Archie book (a streak that is now at 10 years) and 5 panels in Jughead.
    So a guy whose trade is SOLD OUT at Archie-get treated like that. Sad thing is I can do this same thing for A LOT of black guys. Especially at DC.

That same book line did justice with Cyborg. How has that helped him?
    so what's your solution? because DC is not going to attribute the success or failure of this book to John fans so all you are doing is depriving yourself of John content and contributing to apathy toward John; if even his fans don't want to support the character why should anyone else? I'm not going out like that, I'll read any John content I think could be good for him and if it's bad I'll voice it and if it's good I'll sing it's praises (within reason). however what I'm not gonna do is pretend that being used in an elseworld or the color of his ring is what's wrong with how DC handles John and other characters of color

currently following:

BANNED

did White Lanterns undermine Kyle?
    Yes. Turning Kyle into Ion and then into the White Lantern messiah was a way to promote him out of competition with Hal as central GL. They took the focus off him and covered their butts from backlash by being able to fall back on the idea that it was a promotion. But ultimately they shifted him so far away from the basic GL concept that he couldn't represent the franchise. I didn't care because Kyle isn't my Lantern.

Red undermine Guy?
    No, but only because Guy has never been a viable candidate to lead the franchise, as likable as he is.

that argument doesn't make sense when literally every Lantern has done the same thing; and again, it's an elseworld! excuse the language but undermines my ass, you're reaching. when red son came out did Superman turn Russian? Did the Guardians suddenly stop making the rings chose after the first volume of Green Lantern: Earth One? I've said it one and I'll say it again, I'm tired of these unnecessary hoops we keep putting on characters of color through; they do more harm than good. can't talk about race, can't outshine this or that character, can't deviate too far from their old roles, can't progress in the roles they were given. all we have is an announcement and true to fandom bullshit form people are casting whole judgement on a story they haven't read that's a sequel to a story the probably didn't read either. but hey maybe I'm just the lesser John fan because I'm willing to give a story he's in a chance even though he's not overtly Space Jesus and he's next to Hal. meanwhile we got him in Red Son where he's WAY more likely to be playing second fiddle to Hal but that's better because at least he's Green while he's playing that tambourine.
    Red Son was an elseworld centered on Superman in which he maintained his branding as Superman. That's not the same as trying to move John out of the way so that Hal is the only human green lantern. DC can't kill John off given his popularity and can't ignore him for the same reason, so now they're trying to create a backdoor in which he's introduced as a yellow lantern. If you want a good take on that, read Smallville, in which John goes from Green to Yellow and back again. Don't turn John into the human representative of a different Corps. The franchise is called Green Lantern. Removing John from that undermines his place in the franchise for the sole purpose of propping up Hal. **** that. There's not going to be a flagship yellow lantern book that leads the Green Lantern franchise, so yes, it is a demotion. John is tied to the Green Lantern mythology. Trying to change his identity like Rick Jones or Dick Grayson or James Rhodes doesn't increase his status, it diminishes it. There's a reason SONY didn't call their Miles Morales film anything other than Spider-Man.

I'm not going to support an attempt to demote John by altering his identity to make Hal the main GL. It's an utter waste of time and money and tells DC that they should turn John into something he's not.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 12-13-2019 at 07:22 PM.

Honestly man, I just don't have much respect (if any) for a lot these writers and artists. I completely understand on what you're trying to say here. But I won't be supporting these guys and their BS. These guys let me down too many times and I'm tired of it. I personally think it's an utter insult to make John Stewart as a yellow lantern in this book. Sure, it's an elseworld story, but if it's soooo different from the main universe, why is Hal Jordan still a Green Lantern, then? I can see if both characters weren't even Green Lanterns and if that was the case I would STILL be skeptical because I don't know whether John will play second fiddle to Hal Jordan or as some black best friend. From a John Stewart fan perspective, if I was writing this story and was forced to use Hal Jordan in this story (which I wouldn't, since I used the word "forced"), do you really think I would make John Stewart a Yellow lantern and Hal Jordan a Green Lantern? What I would do is make Hal Jordan a Yellow Lantern or something else and use Hal in the story to prop up John, while John Stewart is a Green Lantern. To tell you the truth, Hal Jordan fits better as a Yellow Lantern than John does. So think about Gabriel Hardman's perspective here and then you'll see his views more clearly. Which is no different than Geoff Johns and Tom King.

Geoff Johns' Green Lantern book was widely supported by John Stewart fans, who purchased the book. And look at the kind of thanks this man gave: irrelevant, black best friend, failure, lack panels, one-liner dialog. While the three white characters had huge roles and had their own books. And arguably the most notable Green Lantern character (John) didn't have none, who's a minority. That's beyond pathetic and insulting. Those characters gets the big feast at the table, while the black character crawls and eat their crumbs. No character with that kind of success should EVEN be treated that way. Ever!

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Looking forward to seeing John in animation again. From what's visible of his face, he looks like his DCAU iteration, which is cool since he's going to be voiced by Phil LaMarr. Hopefully he's more than just a cameo.
    Unfortunately the Lanterns don’t really get to do much before Red Son Supes kicks all their asses.