Page 4 of 103 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Marvel's use of characters of color has always been about profit, you think Black Panther would've gotten a movie if it wasn't gonna break bank? In mainstream media black is only really beautiful when it's profitable and that is because it is important to certain reader demographics. I think you are overthinking it. Just because a writer doesn't knock it out the park each time doesn't mean they don't care about their work. I don't know this man personally and i don't presume to know his heart but the implication that these characters are "stunts" feel like too far of a reach and somewhat insulting. Bad press doesn't always sell, so it seems less likely to me that he would purposely open himself up to the prejudices of fans for notoriety than just recognizing that having more diverse characters is important and he should use his pull to establish some. Especially when he has two black daughters and he works in an industry where the biggest names are white faces. It would makes sense that he would use big brands that are already established for characters like Miles and Riri because they're less likely to get seeped under the rug but characters like Jessica Jones, Maria Hill and Quake weren't exactly attached to big franchises and they are pretty well established characters. Also, there is racial bias and prejudice (I would hesitate to say full-on racism but it could definitely is a factor sometimes) in the comics and we see all shades of it whenever any character of color is introduced so I wouldn't be surprised if he called some of his detractors racist. I think people are starting to get this complex about Bendis almost in the same way they get a complex about Didio, like they're some kind of villain scheming. That's just my perspective tho. maybe we just see different things.

Back to Teen Lantern, I think a new take on the Green Lantern idea with a Bolivian character could be cool. I find the idea of hacking the Green Lantern power instead of an umpteenth Human lantern being chosen is a wonderful idea. Even though I love most of the Lanterns, it never made much sense to be that the rings keep choosing human recruits without explanation. We're 6 Lanterns deep! I think Teen Lantern is a clever workaround. Let's just hope DC keeps her distinct and doesn't give into temptation to upgrade her up and make it 7.
    Respectful disagree.

Bendis is very much what Americans call "Clout Chaser" give him enough time at DC and you might see. Depending on if he learned anything.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

I think it's quite annoying that these writers keep adding characters to this franchise, especially when the Lantern franchise isn't doing as well as it should. The more you add, the more you water down the concept. I personally don't care for Bendis' involvement in DC so far at all. He should start using already existing minority GL characters in his book, not avoiding them. And it seems he knows nothing about John Stewart, which is a shame.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

John always flew under the radar for me, in comparison to Hal who's on extreme can be a dummy, Kyle who can handle all rings at once, Guy who's loud and boisterous, Simon who carries a gun and Jessica who has anxiety. That lack of extreme personality made me attracted to the others first. I also didn't watch JLU where he stars so he's not my first or priority Lantern like the people who watch it.

That said because he's the most mature he is my preferred leader of the whole Green Lantern Corps.

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Justice League #15 Preview:

You could read more here
    Is Thanagar-Prime really "on the other side of the universe?" For a long time Thanagar has been established as a planet in the Milky Way. It's not as cosmically next door as Rann, but "other side of the universe" is kind of a stretch.

Incredible Member

What people think of the idea the former wife of the Black lightning to be the sister of John Stewart?

“When I first came to DC, Jenette Kahn asked me to bring some of that "Marvel magic" to their comics. The interconnections between books was part of that. So when I created Lynn, I gave her the last name of "Stewart," with an eye towards maybe connecting her to John Stewart in the future. But I never did and no one else ever did either,” he explained.

It adds a supporting cast member which is exactly what I think the character needs in the long run. The fact that she happened to be married to another superhero is a nice touch as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    What people think of the idea the former wife of the Black lightning to be the sister of John Stewart?

“When I first came to DC, Jenette Kahn asked me to bring some of that "Marvel magic" to their comics. The interconnections between books was part of that. So when I created Lynn, I gave her the last name of "Stewart," with an eye towards maybe connecting her to John Stewart in the future. But I never did and no one else ever did either,” he explained.

I thibk it be cool if their was connection to John and Black Lighting. It would give them reasons to intertact and could have many story avenues.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    It adds a supporting cast member which is exactly what I think the character needs in the long run. The fact that she happened to be married to another superhero is a nice touch as well.
    I agree. This is a good a way of building the character's cast.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post

Isabella should have just went for it.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    He really should have.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    Man I really wish he did. I never knew of this and I'm all for this. Ugh we need someone to pick this up because I love this development. I'm not surprised the YJ writers implemented this since they love DC lore and actually like pushing characters forward.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Man I really wish he did. I never knew of this and I'm all for this. Ugh we need someone to pick this up because I love this development. I'm not surprised the YJ writers implemented this since they love DC lore and actually like pushing characters forward.
    If i learned anything from cape comics, it's that minorities on teams don't get any character development unless it's their own series. The only way i can see this being picked up is if either John or/and BL gets a series.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Loved John as the leader of the Darkstars!

It was a short-lived period for him, but we got some good stories that have unfortunately been completely swept under the rug. I would've loved to see Venditti spin John off into a new Darkstars series after HJ & The GLC ended.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES