Page 100 of 103 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103 LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 1538
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Honestly man, I just don't have much respect (if any) for a lot these writers and artists. I completely understand on what you're trying to say here. But I won't be supporting these guys and their BS. These guys let me down too many times and I'm tired of it. I personally think it's an utter insult to make John Stewart as a yellow lantern in this book. Sure, it's an elseworld story, but if it's soooo different from the main universe, why is Hal Jordan still a Green Lantern, then? I can see if both characters weren't even Green Lanterns and if that was the case I would STILL be skeptical because I don't know whether John will play second fiddle to Hal Jordan or as some black best friend. From a John Stewart fan perspective, if I was writing this story and was forced to use Hal Jordan in this story (which I wouldn't, since I used the word "forced"), do you really think I would make John Stewart a Yellow lantern and Hal Jordan a Green Lantern? What I would do is make Hal Jordan a Yellow Lantern or something else and use Hal in the story to prop up John, while John Stewart is a Green Lantern. To tell you the truth, Hal Jordan fits better as a Yellow Lantern than John does. So think about Gabriel Hardman's perspective here and then you'll see his views more clearly. Which is no different than Geoff Johns and Tom King.

Well since you hate it, I do hope they can return the yellow ring to Sinestro anyway and one day maybe John won't need to borrow things from other characters to build up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Honestly man, I just don't have much respect (if any) for a lot these writers and artists. I completely understand on what you're trying to say here. But I won't be supporting these guys and their BS. These guys let me down too many times and I'm tired of it. I personally think it's an utter insult to make John Stewart as a yellow lantern in this book. Sure, it's an elseworld story, but if it's soooo different from the main universe, why is Hal Jordan still a Green Lantern, then? I can see if both characters weren't even Green Lanterns and if that was the case I would STILL be skeptical because I don't know whether John will play second fiddle to Hal Jordan or as some black best friend. From a John Stewart fan perspective, if I was writing this story and was forced to use Hal Jordan in this story (which I wouldn't, since I used the word "forced"), do you really think I would make John Stewart a Yellow lantern and Hal Jordan a Green Lantern? What I would do is make Hal Jordan a Yellow Lantern or something else and use Hal in the story to prop up John, while John Stewart is a Green Lantern. To tell you the truth, Hal Jordan fits better as a Yellow Lantern than John does. So think about Gabriel Hardman's perspective here and then you'll see his views more clearly. Which is no different than Geoff Johns and Tom King.

Geoff Johns' Green Lantern book was widely supported by John Stewart fans, who purchased the book. And look at the kind of thanks this man gave: irrelevant, black best friend, failure, lack panels, one-liner dialog. While the three white characters had huge roles and had their own books. And arguably the most notable Green Lantern character (John) didn't have none, who's a minority. That's beyond pathetic and insulting. Those characters gets the big feast at the table, while the black character crawls and eat their crumbs. No character with that kind of success should EVEN be treated that way. Ever!
    Seriously at least John gets used in outside canon and media I don't know why but DC keeps ignoring Kyle and constantly keep him out of Lanterns crossovers,shows, video games and outside media it's sad that only Hal John and Jessica seems to get any treatment while Kyle Guy and even Baz are getting neglected.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Looking forward to seeing John in animation again. From what's visible of his face, he looks like his DCAU iteration, which is cool since he's going to be voiced by Phil LaMarr. Hopefully he's more than just a cameo.
    I forget how big of a role they had, but I remember it mostly being one action sequence.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Well since you hate it, I do hope they can return the yellow ring to Sinestro anyway and one day maybe John won't need to borrow things from other characters to build up.
    You mean draw on the mythology he's a part of?

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    Seriously at least John gets used in outside canon and media I don't know why but DC keeps ignoring Kyle and constantly keep him out of Lanterns crossovers,shows, video games and outside media it's sad that only Hal John and Jessica seems to get any treatment while Kyle Guy and even Baz are getting neglected.
    "At least" thinking is just fighting for scraps.

BANNED

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Happy 100 pages!!!

From the Red Son movie.

BANNED

"At least" thinking is just fighting for scraps.
    Sadly history speaks for itself believe me you don't want to be a Kyle fan we always brace ourselves for disappointment when a new outside Media product is announced.

BANNED

This dysfunction is symptomatic of what I've been saying lately.
    Putting some black man in a white man's suit and then the white man inevitably returns to take his suit back and the black man struggles to find his place as a redundant character in the white man's franchise. It's just a stupid way of doing diversity that frequently leads to chaos, in-fightiing, and overt displays of selfishness, which we can all see here. I'm not going to say there isn't a way to do this set-up better, but I don't think it's a great approach in general, because it frequently highlights a power or importance imbalance that will cause fighting among fans.

Ideally, John Stewart would let Hal Jordan have his crap and go forge his own identity so they aren't encroaching on each others' space. I know some fans hate that idea, or see it as conceding, but it's pretty clear the characters and fans have trouble existing within the same space, and John Stewart, frankly, isn't important enough to Green Lantern in comparison to Hal Jordan to take that identity over him, in my view. For example, if you remove Hal Jordan from GL, the entire DC universe would--and has--feel the effects of that. If you remove John Stewart...eh...probably nothing happens.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 12-14-2019 at 12:47 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Putting some black man in a white man's suit and then the white man inevitably returns to take his suit back and the black man struggles to find his place as a redundant character in the white man's franchise. It's just a stupid way of doing diversity that frequently leads to chaos, in-fightiing, and overt displays of selfishness, which we can all see here. I'm not going to say there isn't a way to do this set-up better, but I don't think it's a great approach in general, because it frequently highlights a power or importance imbalance that will cause fighting among fans.
    Why is this not an issue with Spider-Man? Even before Miles that as Miguel O'Hara and even Ben Riley-who they somehow made work.
    Oh that's right no fan had to fight for scraps. Because Marvel invested or tried to invest in each one individually while Peter was top dog.

While the franchises that didn't do that have a ton of in-fighting like Nova. Or someone gets tossed away like Jason Rusch and it appears Rayshuan Lucas is on his way out with Eli Bradley back. Or under used as Monica Rambeau & Powerman 2 & Kasper Cole.

Ideally, John Stewart would let Hal Jordan have his crap and go forge his own identity so they aren't encroaching on each others' space. I know some fans hate that idea, or see it as conceding, but it's pretty clear the characters and fans have trouble existing within the same space, and John Stewart, frankly, isn't important enough to Green Lantern in comparison to Hal Jordan to take that identity over him, in my view. For example, if you remove Hal Jordan from GL, the entire DC universe would--and has--feel the effects of that. If you remove John Stewart...eh...probably nothing happens.
    Fans don't hate it. It's WHO Is going to do that WORK? Dick became Nightwing and had not only Teen Titans, Batman, his own book, Outsiders and outside media sell him as Nightwing more than Robin. Same with Carol Danvers. Same with Miles & Khan. Heck same with Spider-Gwen.
    Who is going to invest that time? Knowing you got folks who want him GONE.

BANNED

Nah, you're assuming people need consensus (every fanbase is selfish) or you're trying to peddle your book.

John's popularity remains high enough that he's starting to appear in animated films again and is being dre-rawn on old GL covers (March 2020 tbpbs) to bring attention to those books. Take your thoughts to the other GL fanbses. John will always be a GL. It's the franchise he was built for. It will always be a part of his history.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 12-14-2019 at 03:19 PM.

BANNED

Nah, you're assuming people need consensus (every fanbase is selfish) or you're trying to peddle your book.
    I don't even know what you're talking about here.
    Regarding the consensus issue, I don't think it can even be argued that the Green Lantern fanbase is greatly fractured and militant toward each other. Different points of view, disagreements, and preferences are normal, but what Green Lantern has is indicative of a serious problem for the property.

John's popularity remains high enough that he's starting to appear in animated films again and is being dre-rawn on old GL covers (March 2020 tbpbs) to bring attention to those books. Take your thoughts to the other GL fanbses. John will always be a GL. It's the franchise he was built for. It will always be a part of his history.
    How is this even a response to the points I mentioned?
    I don't really feel the need to take my thoughts to other Green Lantern fanbases because I don't see them throw fits over things like this nearly as much. I have seen people say Kyle should be Green Lantern, but I haven't seen his fans refuse to buy a book with him as, say, White Lantern.

John Stewart was specifically built to be a supporting character in Green Lantern for a one off story. And he's basically more or less been serving that function. He's not that integral to the overall architecture of the mythology. Now, if you want to keep him serving that function, sure, keep as a Green Lantern and keep things more or less how they've been going. But then people complain that he doesn't get enough focus and whatnot.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 12-14-2019 at 04:13 PM.

BANNED

John Stewart was specifically built to be a supporting character in Green Lantern for a one off story. And he's basically more or less been serving that function. He's not that integral to the overall architecture of the mythology. Now, if you want to keep him serving that function, sure, keep as a Green Lantern and keep things more or less how they've been going. But then people complain that he doesn't get enough focus and whatnot.
    Because Kyle fans accepted less, they sent a signal that his secondary role was sufficient. His popularity has continued to diminish since.

The best path forward for John is to stick to his identity and give him the kind of push Cyborg got but with a starring role in GL or GLC.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Why is this not an issue with Spider-Man? Even before Miles that as Miguel O'Hara and even Ben Riley-who they somehow made work.
    Oh that's right no fan had to fight for scraps. Because Marvel invested or tried to invest in each one individually while Peter was top dog.

While the franchises that didn't do that have a ton of in-fighting like Nova. Or someone gets tossed away like Jason Rusch and it appears Rayshuan Lucas is on his way out with Eli Bradley back. Or under used as Monica Rambeau & Powerman 2 & Kasper Cole.

Fans don't hate it. It's WHO Is going to do that WORK? Dick became Nightwing and had not only Teen Titans, Batman, his own book, Outsiders and outside media sell him as Nightwing more than Robin. Same with Carol Danvers. Same with Miles & Khan. Heck same with Spider-Gwen.
    Who is going to invest that time? Knowing you got folks who want him GONE.
    To be fair though, Miles got to be THE Spider-Man of his home universe for a while before Marvel brought him over to 616. That meant he didn’t have to be fighting with the other Spider-Men for appearances. He was the one and only Ultimate Spider-Man, even if Peter cast a shadow over him on account of his death.

John Stewart isn’t in the same situation. He debuted in the main universe and was struggling with Hal, and Guy from the start. Then Kyle took over and John kinda disappeared until the DCAU put him in the public eye. Unfortunately for John while the cartoon was going on Johns was totally revamping GL and making it the second most popular DC franchise besides Batman, and it starred Hal meaning Comics John didn’t really benefit from DCAU John, and when the DCAU ended Johns was ramping up to Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night which became the biggest GL stories ever for your average casual.

What’s hurting John right now is that he doesn’t really have some easy to recommend intro books like Johns GL Rebirth for Hal. John has the cartoon and that’s usually enough to get people interested, but the DCU and the DCAU aren’t the same and frankly, I don’t really want DCAU Stewart’s personality being DCU Stewart’s personality like it has been in the past. Leave the “marine” aspect to the side for a while. I prefer a focus on Stewart’s architecture background and his interest in social justice, both of those are what separates him from the other GLs and can make for interesting stories. Frankly I hope we get a Stewart BL book sometime soon, something that can be read as a standalone story.

Incredible Member

You mean draw on the mythology he's a part of?
    In an elseworld story, a yellow lantern is making his debut, of course I expect him to be Sinestro, just like you expect to see a Green Lantern John. He is the first harnesser of the yellow light of fear and the greatest yellow lantern.
    I'm very disappointed and I think using his power to prop up John is the neglect of alien race and disrespect of irrefutably the most notable Green Lantern villain.

BTW, I think you haven't realized, if Hardman really wants to move John out of the way, he could just keep him out of his book. Maybe you won't be so angry about it.