Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
Marvel's use of characters of color has always been about profit, you think Black Panther would've gotten a movie if it wasn't gonna break bank? In mainstream media black is only really beautiful when it's profitable and that is because it is important to certain reader demographics. I think you are overthinking it. Just because a writer doesn't knock it out the park each time doesn't mean they don't care about their work. I don't know this man personally and i don't presume to know his heart but the implication that these characters are "stunts" feel like too far of a reach and somewhat insulting. Bad press doesn't always sell, so it seems less likely to me that he would purposely open himself up to the prejudices of fans for notoriety than just recognizing that having more diverse characters is important and he should use his pull to establish some. Especially when he has two black daughters and he works in an industry where the biggest names are white faces. It would makes sense that he would use big brands that are already established for characters like Miles and Riri because they're less likely to get seeped under the rug but characters like Jessica Jones, Maria Hill and Quake weren't exactly attached to big franchises and they are pretty well established characters. Also, there is racial bias and prejudice (I would hesitate to say full-on racism but it could definitely is a factor sometimes) in the comics and we see all shades of it whenever any character of color is introduced so I wouldn't be surprised if he called some of his detractors racist. I think people are starting to get this complex about Bendis almost in the same way they get a complex about Didio, like they're some kind of villain scheming. That's just my perspective tho. maybe we just see different things.

Back to Teen Lantern, I think a new take on the Green Lantern idea with a Bolivian character could be cool. I find the idea of hacking the Green Lantern power instead of an umpteenth Human lantern being chosen is a wonderful idea. Even though I love most of the Lanterns, it never made much sense to be that the rings keep choosing human recruits without explanation. We're 6 Lanterns deep! I think Teen Lantern is a clever workaround. Let's just hope DC keeps her distinct and doesn't give into temptation to upgrade her up and make it 7.
Respectful disagree.

Bendis is very much what Americans call "Clout Chaser" give him enough time at DC and you might see. Depending on if he learned anything.