Page 53 of 69 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
Results 781 to 795 of 1023
  1. #781
    Uncanny King-Kamalu lemonpeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    the internet
    Posts
    1,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    It helps that John has a visually distinctive and unique haircut already. Not many black heroes can say that.

    That said, I wouldn't complain if John grew out a goatee
    I am against the bald goatee combo but a scruffy goatee like White Lantern John and his usual fade grown out a bit to make his silhouette a little more dynamic? That would be my ideal John.

    Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Lmao older John was about to kick young Johns ass. Love the way older John is sitting on the tank. John needs to be written with that type of confidence and charisma again.
    For real! I am hoping that this is Snyder hinting at the direction he's trying to take John in going forward. Even so, I more so hope that creators at DC are taking note and are as excited and/or willing to write him like this going forward.
    SIGNAL/Duke Thomas is the Midnight Sun of Gotham (respect thread)

    John Stewart is my Lantern.

    Naomi was great, pass it on...

    DC: Batman and the Outsiders, Justice League, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Flash, Justice League Odyssey, Doomsday Clock

    Marvel: Immortal Hulk, Miles Morales: Spiderman, Black Panther, Ironheart, Cosmic Ghost Rider etc., Venom, Moon Girl, Avengers

    Anticipated titles: Far Sector, Love Army*, The Other History of DC*

  2. #782
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    You mind sending the source?


    The Batman/Green Lantern of In Darkest Knight is returning for a multiverse crossover beginning with The Green Lantern #10. I think the John Stewart of Calvin Ellis' world was previewed at the end of #1, so we might get to see Morrison write a little bit of John Stewart (in a world where he's the main Green Lantern no less).
    Last edited by EsotericFailures; 06-02-2019 at 09:52 AM.

  3. #783
    Uncanny King-Kamalu lemonpeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    the internet
    Posts
    1,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericFailures View Post


    The Batman/Green Lantern of In Darkest Knight is returning for a multiverse crossover beginning with The Green Lantern #10. I think the John Stewart of Calvin Ellis' world was previewed at the end of #1, so we might get to see Morrison write a little bit of John Stewart (in a world where he's the main Green Lantern no less).
    Oh that? I wouldn't say they're adding them, it's more like these are featured characters for the story.
    SIGNAL/Duke Thomas is the Midnight Sun of Gotham (respect thread)

    John Stewart is my Lantern.

    Naomi was great, pass it on...

    DC: Batman and the Outsiders, Justice League, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Flash, Justice League Odyssey, Doomsday Clock

    Marvel: Immortal Hulk, Miles Morales: Spiderman, Black Panther, Ironheart, Cosmic Ghost Rider etc., Venom, Moon Girl, Avengers

    Anticipated titles: Far Sector, Love Army*, The Other History of DC*

  4. #784
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    4,163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Oh that? I wouldn't say they're adding them, it's more like these are featured characters for the story.
    And the appearance of the Muliverse Lanterns was planned from the start and teased in the very first issue. The idea that this is somehow a desperate move to increase sales doesn't really make much sense.

  5. #785
    Fantastic Member Vampire Savior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    Well, I think it really depends on what the fans want.

    Personally, after 20 years of not having Kyle Rayner anywhere, I decided to get Titans only because Kyle joined the team. My bar became such that I would buy whatever book in which Kyle is present, even if it is a team book, where he is clearly not the main protagonist. That's the reason why I also bought Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps. But Titans was canceled anyway, so I am back to no Kyle.

    At the very least, John fans should be happy to have their beloved character in a monthly book. Bonus point because the character is not being trashed by the writer.
    That's interesting. I've found that over time, my standards have risen. Supporting small, mostly meaningless appearances of a character, even if they are a regular on a team, may have meant something to me ten or eleven years ago. That's because I would want to see the character so bad and I was naive enough to think supporting those appearances would actually help toward getting the character more spotlight. Nowadays, though, I won't support such a thing. With my mindset now, I never would have supported the JLA book from years ago when John was on the team, because he never did anything worthwhile, and that's why I'm not impressed with John Stewart in the current Justice League. I haven't seen enough done with the character to actually make me care about his appearances here. My standard isn't so low that I'm going to support this book just because John Stewart shows up. I'm actually going to have to see some real effort put toward advancing him and in ways that I personally care for.

    If I was a die-hard enough Kyle Rayner fan, I wouldn't have supported that Titans book with him in it, because...well, what did he do? What did his being on that team accomplish for the team and for him personally as a character? From what I've seen and heard, I'm lead to believe nothing. He was just there for sh*ts and giggles and because no one else had any ideas for him. It's my understanding the book basically even ignored his previous history with Donna, which makes little sense and is totally pissing away interesting story potential and character interactions.

  6. #786
    Incredible Member LP22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    That's interesting. I've found that over time, my standards have risen. Supporting small, mostly meaningless appearances of a character, even if they are a regular on a team, may have meant something to me ten or eleven years ago. That's because I would want to see the character so bad and I was naive enough to think supporting those appearances would actually help toward getting the character more spotlight. Nowadays, though, I won't support such a thing. With my mindset now, I never would have supported the JLA book from years ago when John was on the team, because he never did anything worthwhile, and that's why I'm not impressed with John Stewart in the current Justice League. I haven't seen enough done with the character to actually make me care about his appearances here. My standard isn't so low that I'm going to support this book just because John Stewart shows up. I'm actually going to have to see some real effort put toward advancing him and in ways that I personally care for.

    If I was a die-hard enough Kyle Rayner fan, I wouldn't have supported that Titans book with him in it, because...well, what did he do? What did his being on that team accomplish for the team and for him personally as a character? From what I've seen and heard, I'm lead to believe nothing. He was just there for sh*ts and giggles and because no one else had any ideas for him. It's my understanding the book basically even ignored his previous history with Donna, which makes little sense and is totally pissing away interesting story potential and character interactions.
    He was there to basically replace Dick grayson since Kyle is the character that resembles him the most and since Dick became ric

  7. #787
    Fantastic Member Vampire Savior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    470

    Default

    I'm not sure if that's even the real reason, but if it is, it is a bad reason.

    As I was saying some pages ago, that's largely why people aren't buying DC's comics. So often nothing DC does with their characters matters. You can read 25 or even 50 whole issues of a character, and that character goes nowhere, and then what little development they had is immediately forgotten or negated when the book is quickly relaunched with a new writer. The only time anything seems to matter at all, it's in an event, and the events are often bad stories with foolish developments.

  8. #788
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    That's interesting. I've found that over time, my standards have risen. Supporting small, mostly meaningless appearances of a character, even if they are a regular on a team, may have meant something to me ten or eleven years ago. That's because I would want to see the character so bad and I was naive enough to think supporting those appearances would actually help toward getting the character more spotlight. Nowadays, though, I won't support such a thing. With my mindset now, I never would have supported the JLA book from years ago when John was on the team, because he never did anything worthwhile, and that's why I'm not impressed with John Stewart in the current Justice League. I haven't seen enough done with the character to actually make me care about his appearances here. My standard isn't so low that I'm going to support this book just because John Stewart shows up. I'm actually going to have to see some real effort put toward advancing him and in ways that I personally care for.

    If I was a die-hard enough Kyle Rayner fan, I wouldn't have supported that Titans book with him in it, because...well, what did he do? What did his being on that team accomplish for the team and for him personally as a character? From what I've seen and heard, I'm lead to believe nothing. He was just there for sh*ts and giggles and because no one else had any ideas for him. It's my understanding the book basically even ignored his previous history with Donna, which makes little sense and is totally pissing away interesting story potential and character interactions.
    I mean, I absolutely get your point, but to me, it is not so much about "supporting" a book and more about actually having *my* fix of the character I love the most. Obviously, I wouldn't want, for example, in this case, Kyle to be written poorly, but I feel that the GL franchise is currently in such a state that, when some other lantern not Hal Jordan is written mediocrely, it is enough for me. It is not about DC, it is not about the franchise. It is about me liking Kyle and trying to get the most of the rare occasions where he shows up.

    And honestly, I think that perhaps some people have completely unrealistic expectations. Personally, I would love for the 90s vibe to be back, with Kyle on Earth, in New York, and with the Titans. You can absolutely have the Corps, that is not a deal breaker. But that is not gonna happen because a 2nd book with an Earth-based lantern would go in direct competition with Hal's book.

    Conversely, I think that John fans waiting for John to be the main Lantern (or Kyle fans waiting Kyle to be the main lantern again) are deluding themselves.

  9. #789
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    330

    Default

    Also, I should mention, for me, having Kyle back with the Titans was great, for 2 reasons, the first, because Kyle belongs there, and the second, because it got him back on the same space with Donna, and I loved them as a couple back in the day.

  10. #790
    Astonishing Member Sodam Yat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Daxam
    Posts
    3,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I'm not sure if that's even the real reason, but if it is, it is a bad reason.

    As I was saying some pages ago, that's largely why people aren't buying DC's comics. So often nothing DC does with their characters matters. You can read 25 or even 50 whole issues of a character, and that character goes nowhere, and then what little development they had is immediately forgotten or negated when the book is quickly relaunched with a new writer. The only time anything seems to matter at all, it's in an event, and the events are often bad stories with foolish developments.
    In terms of sales, isn't what Bored at 3:00AM said earlier, sort of refute those points, though? It seems like guys like Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp are happy about the sales going on with Green Lantern.

    I totally agree with the character being forgotten when a new writer takes over.

  11. #791
    Astonishing Member Sodam Yat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Daxam
    Posts
    3,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    They dislike anyone taking away the focus from their favorites. Dan Didio is on record saying that when he first got hired at DC, he went in with the goal of one day getting Barry Allen and Hal Jordan resurrected. I don't know if Didio has ever made his feelings on John in particular known, but he's publicly stated that he dislikes Wally and that the only reason Wally ever became popular was because Mark Waid wrote him exactly like Barry (which is ironic, since most adaptations give Barry parts of Wally's personality, not vice versa). Given his general attitude towards certain legacy characters (notice the way Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain both got thrown under the bus), he seems like one of those dudes who hates the versions of the characters that he specifically didn't grow up with.

    Which, could be fine. Not everyone working at DC or Marvel is gonna like every character. To pretend otherwise is absurd. But he seems to actively downplay or wreck those characters even when it's clear there is a paying audience that could be giving the company money to see more of them. Wally West held his own book for close to 20 years. Clearly quite a few people like him and were willing to pay money to read about him. But nope. Didio thinks he's superfluous, so he goes bye bye after the Flashpoint reboot, and now this.
    That's just bad. Talking about being selfish. It's totally understandable that they're fans like we all are, but to wreck these character and disrespect the fanbase for their own personal taste is really uncalled for. I have no respect for him at all.

  12. #792
    Fantastic Member Vampire Savior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    In terms of sales, isn't what Bored at 3:00AM said earlier, sort of refute those points, though? It seems like guys like Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp are happy about the sales going on with Green Lantern.

    I totally agree with the character being forgotten when a new writer takes over.
    No, it proves my point.

    You're talking about one book with a star writer that is selling in the 45,000-50,000 something range, and that is DC's best selling book that isn't a Batman title or an event title!? Those numbers are poor. 45,000 or so should be a mid-level book (and that is still having a relatively low bar), not one of the company's very best monthly sellers.

  13. #793
    Incredible Member LP22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    That's just bad. Talking about being selfish. It's totally understandable that they're fans like we all are, but to wreck these character and disrespect the fanbase for their own personal taste is really uncalled for. I have no respect for him at all.

    worst is the fact they are leaving potential money on the table for characters who can possibly sell good enough numbers with established fans and if they dont sell fine but AT LEAST TRY.

  14. #794
    Uncanny King-Kamalu lemonpeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    the internet
    Posts
    1,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    I mean, I absolutely get your point, but to me, it is not so much about "supporting" a book and more about actually having *my* fix of the character I love the most. Obviously, I wouldn't want, for example, in this case, Kyle to be written poorly, but I feel that the GL franchise is currently in such a state that, when some other lantern not Hal Jordan is written mediocrely, it is enough for me. It is not about DC, it is not about the franchise. It is about me liking Kyle and trying to get the most of the rare occasions where he shows up.

    And honestly, I think that perhaps some people have completely unrealistic expectations. Personally, I would love for the 90s vibe to be back, with Kyle on Earth, in New York, and with the Titans. You can absolutely have the Corps, that is not a deal breaker. But that is not gonna happen because a 2nd book with an Earth-based lantern would go in direct competition with Hal's book.

    Conversely, I think that John fans waiting for John to be the main Lantern (or Kyle fans waiting Kyle to be the main lantern again) are deluding themselves.
    I think this is where the disconnect lays. I can't speak for ever fan of John or Kyle or any other Lantern that's not Hal, but I think people are tired of DC operating these franchises like it's a competition where only 1 character can be "the main one" at a time. I mean not to disrespect what John's has done for the franchise but since his run (it actually started with Kyle but it took a more overt a drastic turn with Hal's rebirth) DC has had a streak of only giving their biggest most engaging material to Hal at the detriment of the other Lanterms. I will continue to point to the Finale of Green Lanterns as one of the most egregious example of this. I, and I would like to believe others, don't want "our" Lantern to be the only main one BUT to treat this franchise with an ensemble of leads with care and be more thoughtful of how they handle the other characters. This is especially troubling just from an optics level when they persist on passing over the characters of color in the franchise to shine more light on the white character who has had the most shine and development already. We can look at Marvel and how they handle Hawkeye and Spider-Man, Kate Bishop and Miles Morales aren't in competition with Clint or Peter and they found a way to make all the characters look good without neglecting or shitting on the other.
    SIGNAL/Duke Thomas is the Midnight Sun of Gotham (respect thread)

    John Stewart is my Lantern.

    Naomi was great, pass it on...

    DC: Batman and the Outsiders, Justice League, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Flash, Justice League Odyssey, Doomsday Clock

    Marvel: Immortal Hulk, Miles Morales: Spiderman, Black Panther, Ironheart, Cosmic Ghost Rider etc., Venom, Moon Girl, Avengers

    Anticipated titles: Far Sector, Love Army*, The Other History of DC*

  15. #795
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    worst is the fact they are leaving potential money on the table for characters who can possibly sell good enough numbers with established fans and if they dont sell fine but AT LEAST TRY.
    Bingo. Because you don't know what you will get.

    Who would have thought a book called Squirrel Girl would end with her having 60 solo issues, her in a toy line, in video games, a New York Times best seller and her trade sales RIVAL guys like Hal.

    Folks who hate her will say she's still a failure but a show of hands if you want her failure for your favorite?
    Ms Marvel was EXPECTED to be axed at issue 6. She is at issue 60 now.
    Marvel's Trasnformers & Priest's Black Panther were suppose to be MINIS series. Transformers went 80 issues. Panther speaks for itself.

    All folks want is an HONEST effort. HONEST effort.


    You're talking about one book with a star writer that is selling in the 45,000-50,000 something range, and that is DC's best selling book that isn't a Batman title or an event title!? Those numbers are poor. 45,000 or so should be a mid-level book (and that is still having a relatively low bar), not one of the company's very best monthly sellers.
    Understand when you FLOOR the market with one guy in variations of his book that eats away sales for everybody.
    Yes you have a star writer on that book but he can't control factors outside of DC.

    He can't control what goes in to bins and used book stores where I have seen a HUGE increase in DC Rebirth books.
    It's not his fault a person can get all of his issues of Green Lantern at 50-95% off cover price at some stores. Yes that is going to hurt sales.

    What is hurting DC is folks are understanding the power of CHOICE and that they don't have to accept what DC (or Marvel) does anymore.
    If they can give John Stewart a shot- I can name 20 books (NOT including Marvel) with a black male lead that can fill that void.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •