Page 50 of 58 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051525354 ... LastLast
Results 736 to 750 of 861
  1. #736
    Astonishing Member Sodam Yat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Daxam
    Posts
    3,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    He got some new power. I'm not impressed.
    I'm impressed

    So it's not like he never got any focus on this run.

  2. #737
    Spectacular Member Cosmic Emerald 23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    195

    Default

    It is true that John did get some attention and a new power up during this JL run under Snyder, but from what I've read here, there is some apathy towards it because unlike the other major leaguers, John doesn't have his own book where he can be THE man and show why he's so awesome. This means that his inclusion on this team doesn't mean squat. We all know what Superman is about, what he can do, and how far he can push his limits (or lack thereof), and the same can be said for Aquaman, Bats, WW, and Flash. All of that comes from their solo books and events, so when their attention gets divvied up, it's not a big deal.

    I know I sound like a broken record but I've been waiting for any writer to come along and have John become a White Lantern and bring back Xanshi himself, thereby absolving him of his mistake/failure and permanently putting a cap on that, so nobody can come along to harp on it over and over and over again like what's been going on. He's "gotten over it" multiple times and he keeps falling back into the same hole because that's all writers know about/care to write about for him. I thought we were getting permanent closure on this issue, but nah, we got nothin. Am I saying it'll never be handled during this run? No. Snyder's not done yet and he could very well be planning it for the future, but as of right now, John's still spinning his wheels, which is the main reason why some fans aren't satisfied.

    Still holdin out for that movie, since it's the only way DC will learn/acknowledge that John is a bankable character (granted the movie is good lol).
    Last edited by Cosmic Emerald 23; 05-21-2019 at 10:53 PM.

  3. #738
    Astonishing Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,774

    Default

    John's in the JLA lineup for the upcoming "Black Hammer/JLA" crossover:
    https://www.cbr.com/exclusive-black-...ssover-covers/

  4. #739
    Astonishing Member Sodam Yat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Daxam
    Posts
    3,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    John's in the JLA lineup for the upcoming "Black Hammer/JLA" crossover:
    https://www.cbr.com/exclusive-black-...ssover-covers/
    Wow this is awesome!! It's nice to see John being recognized as a real quality leaguer!

  5. #740
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    John's in the JLA lineup for the upcoming "Black Hammer/JLA" crossover:
    https://www.cbr.com/exclusive-black-...ssover-covers/
    Thanks more sharing!

  6. #741
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CBR View Post
    DC Comics and Dark Horse Comics present the ultimate superhero crossover event of 2019!After a mysterious stranger warps reality, the out-of-practice Black Hammer heroes must contend with both Starro and the rest of the DC universe. Meanwhile, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Cyborg try to adjust to life on Black Hammer Farm, while Colonel Weird and the Green Lantern try to uncover the secret behind this reality swap and the strange man who started it all.


    https://www.cbr.com/exclusive-black-...ssover-covers/

  7. #742
    Astonishing Member Sodam Yat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Daxam
    Posts
    3,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Because some books will get orders no matter what fans say because it is all about WHO is on the cover.
    And some folks IGNORE those books that pack BINS like Green Lantern, Hal Jordan & TGLC or even events like Doomsday Clock (sometimes the week after they come out).

    What DC is ignoring is the rise of the indy books. Lets use John-why would anyone settle for what has been done with him (and Cyborg, Vixen, Bumblebee, Duke, Wallace & BL).
    When I can name 20 (within the last 4 years) of books that showcase a black male better than DC. And NO I am not counting Marvel books in that number.

    Folks have choices now and they are acting on them.
    I have no arguments there


    I think the issue has been-we see this stuff for an arc or two and then it gets tossed away or undone later on. Especially with black characters.

    If John has moved on from that blowing up planets-that should NOT be tossed back into the mix 5-12 months later. He needs something NEW.
    This is true. As I've said many times in the past, the only way for writers to not use Xanshi is to revive it. In Snyder's run this was the first time we've seen John Stewart talking about finding ways to restore Xanshi back to life.

  8. #743
    Uncanny King-Kamalu lemonpeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    the internet
    Posts
    1,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    It is true that John did get some attention and a new power up during this JL run under Snyder, but from what I've read here, there is some apathy towards it because unlike the other major leaguers, John doesn't have his own book where he can be THE man and show why he's so awesome. This means that his inclusion on this team doesn't mean squat. We all know what Superman is about, what he can do, and how far he can push his limits (or lack thereof), and the same can be said for Aquaman, Bats, WW, and Flash. All of that comes from their solo books and events, so when their attention gets divvied up, it's not a big deal.

    I know I sound like a broken record but I've been waiting for any writer to come along and have John become a White Lantern and bring back Xanshi himself, thereby absolving him of his mistake/failure and permanently putting a cap on that, so nobody can come along to harp on it over and over and over again like what's been going on. He's "gotten over it" multiple times and he keeps falling back into the same hole because that's all writers know about/care to write about for him. I thought we were getting permanent closure on this issue, but nah, we got nothin. Am I saying it'll never be handled during this run? No. Snyder's not done yet and he could very well be planning it for the future, but as of right now, John's still spinning his wheels, which is the main reason why some fans aren't satisfied.

    Still holdin out for that movie, since it's the only way DC will learn/acknowledge that John is a bankable character (granted the movie is good lol).
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post

    This is true. As I've said many times in the past, the only way for writers to not use Xanshi is to revive it. In Snyder's run this was the first time we've seen John Stewart talking about finding ways to restore Xanshi back to life.
    I would like to think Snyder intends/intended for John to restore Xanshi, given his moments in each story arc of this run. In Totality we find out he's been looking to restore Xanshi and he encounters the UV, Hawkworld we get a smidgen of insight into the physiological consequences of the first arc, now this arc we learn that the "ideal" version of himself that the World Forger says he must become is a White Lantern who creates worlds. If Snyder is to be believed, he said he wanted to focus on John as an architect, a creator, more than the foot soldier. So I think this could all be building toward a full arc but the question is can he pull it off with all the stuff he's juggling or will it get lost in the sauce.

    Like Cosmic said, the problem is that he doesn't have a book to pick up the slack and pretty much everyone else does. While I hear it's been a great run so far, making Morrison's Green Lantern the only Green Lantern book was a terrible move. Morrison was never going to play ball, so giving him Hal (or allowing him to do Hal) when John is on the League just makes creates an uneven juxtaposition to his (John) detriment. They could've given him a mini or a Naomi-esque seasonal series just to keep interest for the character up if they didn't want to do two Lantern books.
    Duke's a fine character, you guys are just hungry... (respect thread)

    John Stewart is my Lantern.

    DC: Batman and the Outsiders, Justice League, Naomi, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Flash, Justice League Odyssey, Doomsday Clock

    Marvel: Immortal Hulk, Miles Morales: Spiderman, Black Panther, Ironheart, Cosmic Ghost Rider etc., Moon Girl, Avengers

    Anticipated titles: Far Sector, Love Army*, The Other History of DC*

  9. #744
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne McDuffie, RIP View Post
    Dwayne McDuffie on “In Blackest Night” (circa 2004): [“In Blackest Night”] was based on an old seventies comic. In both the comic and the show—as opposed to Cosmic Odyssey, [where] Green Lantern was an arrogant fuck-up—he was tricked into believing he did something wrong and honorably agreed to take his punishment. […] I’d never punk out John Stewart like [they did in Cosmic Odyssey]. I’m still mad” (courtesy of Delphi Forums).
    http://jl.toonzone.net/episode2/episode2.htm

  10. #745

  11. #746
    Astonishing Member Sodam Yat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Daxam
    Posts
    3,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I would like to think Snyder intends/intended for John to restore Xanshi, given his moments in each story arc of this run. In Totality we find out he's been looking to restore Xanshi and he encounters the UV, Hawkworld we get a smidgen of insight into the physiological consequences of the first arc, now this arc we learn that the "ideal" version of himself that the World Forger says he must become is a White Lantern who creates worlds. If Snyder is to be believed, he said he wanted to focus on John as an architect, a creator, more than the foot soldier. So I think this could all be building toward a full arc but the question is can he pull it off with all the stuff he's juggling or will it get lost in the sauce.

    Like Cosmic said, the problem is that he doesn't have a book to pick up the slack and pretty much everyone else does. While I hear it's been a great run so far, making Morrison's Green Lantern the only Green Lantern book was a terrible move. Morrison was never going to play ball, so giving him Hal (or allowing him to do Hal) when John is on the League just makes creates an uneven juxtaposition to his (John) detriment. They could've given him a mini or a Naomi-esque seasonal series just to keep interest for the character up if they didn't want to do two Lantern books.
    Good analysis!! This is how I see it, too. I'm thinking it's a possibility that Xanshi will be come back to life. And if that happens, no other writer will be able to keep repeating John's Xanshi's history. This breaks that barrier and moves the character forward. Scott Snyder will get a lot of credit if he does this.

    I totally agree. When the Rebirth was announced, a lot of people here advocated for DC to at least put John Stewart in the Justice League than to put him in HJ&TGLC book. We knew what we signed up for, to where that wasn't going to be enough since we would love to see him appear in a solo getting a lot of development. There's so much you can do with a character that's sharing pages with 6 other leaguers (or 8, if you count Cyborg and Aquaman). I think it's a shame when writers like Mark Russell have to wait for whether DC approves his John Stewart solo pitch after Grant Morrison wraps up his run. It's pretty sad when characters like Lois Lane can get a comic, but John and Hawkgirl cannot. Why can't DC give John and Hawkgirl a chance!? Who cares if there's a Green Lantern ongoing already.

  12. #747
    Astonishing Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,774

    Default

    The thing that always struck me about "Cosmic Odyssey" was that Batman was just as stupid and could have destroyed earth because of his insistence that he and Bug wait until nightfall. He had NO idea how much time was on that bomb - it was just his dumb luck the world didn't blow up while they were busy dying Forager's outfit black.

  13. #748
    Astonishing Member Sodam Yat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Daxam
    Posts
    3,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    The thing that always struck me about "Cosmic Odyssey" was that Batman was just as stupid and could have destroyed earth because of his insistence that he and Bug wait until nightfall. He had NO idea how much time was on that bomb - it was just his dumb luck the world didn't blow up while they were busy dying Forager's outfit black.
    This is interesting that I never see this ever being brought up. I'm glad that you mentioned this.

  14. #749
    Astonishing Member Sodam Yat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Daxam
    Posts
    3,057

    Default




  15. #750
    Astonishing Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,774

    Default

    Are John and Sinestro fighting over who wears that haircut better? (what's up with that - I thought Sin looked... appropriate with the Hitler 'do)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •