Page 73 of 103 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1538

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Because it's been done already and there's no point since it's neither sustainable on a more long term basis, nor would fans want to read about it. They even made Hal a space hobo and that didn't last more than a year from what I recall. All the Lanterns have been something else before, even Alan Scott was Sentinel at one point, they all revert back to Green Lantern eventually because people want to see them as Green Lanterns, not as Spectres or Darkstars or Warriors or Ions.
    It's so weird going back and reading Johns' JSA stuff when Alan was Sentinel. Like, come on, he's Green Lantern .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's so weird going back and reading Johns' JSA stuff when Alan was Sentinel. Like, come on, he's Green Lantern .
    It was somewhat understandable since for a while they wanted Kyle to be the only character called Green Lantern, but it's obvious things like that aren't meant to last for long.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    You know that's not gonna happen. The company (especially DiDio, the guy running the ship) is fully behind Hal as GL and has been heavily marketing him as "That Dude" among the GLs since the mid 2000's, they wouldn't just throw that away to make him into a B-list character after they've spent so much time investing in him. Plus they don want to piss off Hal Jordan fans again like they did with Emerald Twilight.
    Meanwhile you are alienating everyone else who are looking over at the Spiderverse and wondering how is it working for them and can't work here? Where it should WAY more than with Peter and his kinfolks.

it's unlikely to happen with the current way the leadership is set up, they reeeeally want Hal to be THE Green Lantern™. however, considering I personally believe they've wrung all the milage they could out of the character,
    As long as you got comic book stores-they haven't. Because that is who they want.

Meanwhile in the real world everyone wants they all.

Why can't Hal Jordan be something else besides a Green Lantern? It makes more sense to me. The Spectre didn't work out but I see that Doctor Fate is looking for a new host.
    We saw Dick Grayson got from Robin to Nightwing.
    We saw Wally go from Kid Flash to Flash.
    We saw Rhodey go from Military guy to Iron Man to War Machine.
    We saw Carol Danvers go from Ms marvel to Cap Marvel.
    We are seeing Malcolm Dragon take over his father's role in Savage Dragon.

What is the common factor in all these things? SOMEONE got off their BEHIND and did some WORK.
    There was no tossing someone in a role and doing as LITTLE as you can to get them over. You saw these folks in their own books, other books, minis and so on.

If you want John in a new role where that OTHER guy can't get in the way-you can do that as long as you put the work in.

Not stop after 6 months or two years. Where is the rule that says his ring has to be from Guardians?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Meanwhile you are alienating everyone else who are looking over at the Spiderverse and wondering how is it working for them and can't work here? Where it should WAY more than with Peter and his kinfolks.

As long as you got comic book stores-they haven't. Because that is who they want.

Meanwhile in the real world everyone wants they all.

We saw Dick Grayson got from Robin to Nightwing.
    We saw Wally go from Kid Flash to Flash.
    We saw Rhodey go from Military guy to Iron Man to War Machine.
    We saw Carol Danvers go from Ms marvel to Cap Marvel.
    We are seeing Malcolm Dragon take over his father's role in Savage Dragon.

What is the common factor in all these things? SOMEONE got off their BEHIND and did some WORK.
    There was no tossing someone in a role and doing as LITTLE as you can to get them over. You saw these folks in their own books, other books, minis and so on.

If you want John in a new role where that OTHER guy can't get in the way-you can do that as long as you put the work in.

Not stop after 6 months or two years. Where is the rule that says his ring has to be from Guardians?

Here's the thing with all of those examples though, they're all sidekicks/supporting characters ascending. There's nothing wrong with that because it's character progression. But it is a bigger deal when the main character the company is fully behind, for better or worse, (granted readers don't hate them) takes a step down for reasons outside of death to be another (lesser) character. It's a downgrade.

And like Johnny said, all these characters got their fame as Green Lanterns, so that's how fans want to see them in the end. It would be a temporary move to achieve whatever effect they're going for at the time, but then it's gonna reset to how things were and it'll be the same situation all over again. We've already seen it happen with Parallax, Spectre, Ion, Darkstar, Warrior, and Sentinel.

It does sound like an idea to clear space to let a character/characters grow, but what is going to happen (unless it's John, cuz screw him right?) is that when they do return to being GLs, they're gonna get the all-star treatment, therefore taking away the attention the new lead(s) had, regressing them once more like what happened with Hal in Rebirth.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    [/B]

Here's the thing with all of those examples though, they're all sidekicks/supporting characters ascending. There's nothing wrong with that because it's character progression. But it is a bigger deal when the main character the company is fully behind, for better or worse, (granted readers don't hate them) takes a step down for reasons outside of death to be another (lesser) character. It's a downgrade.

And like Johnny said, all these characters got their fame as Green Lanterns, so that's how fans want to see them in the end. It would be a temporary move to achieve whatever effect they're going for at the time, but then it's gonna reset to how things were and it'll be the same situation all over again. We've already seen it happen with Parallax, Spectre, Ion, Darkstar, Warrior, and Sentinel.

It does sound like an idea to clear space to let a character/characters grow, but what is going to happen (unless it's John, cuz screw him right?) is that when they do return to being GLs, they're gonna get the all-star treatment, therefore taking away the attention the new lead(s) had, regressing them once more like what happened with Hal in Rebirth.
    Then if someone wants to keep a job they might need to make sure that doesn't happen.

Sooner or later the rest of the world is going to make you take those others seriously or you can have a franchise that is not making the money that it should be making.

616 Peter did not get buried for anyone (aside form Ben for a time). Someone FOUND a use for Venom. Someone found a use for Miles. Someone found a place to belong.

Extraordinary Member

I recently completed the GL 2814 story arc that was collected in three paperbacks. I also read his first appearance, and his first adventure with the JLA.

I have to say, I love it.

After reading it, I actually prefer Pre-Crisis John Stewart.

USMC John worked because creators were serious about building up the character, and making him relevant in the DCAU. He comes across as boring in the comics because writers give him zero agency.

I loved his relationship with Katma. They were an awesome duo. Before Jessica & Simon, you had Kat & John, imo.

I don't want to get negative, but it is really sad that the development that John & Kat enjoyed was pretty much destroyed after the Steve Englehart run.

John was willing to leave Earth to help Kat patrol her sector while Hal stayed on Earth before Guardians decided to bounce.

If I had any pull at DC, I would have a competent creative team produce a John Stewart Rebirth limited series.

I would restore Kat back to the land of the living, thus bringing back John's sense of humor. I would emphasize John's youth, as he was about a decade younger than Hal & Guy, Pre-Crisis. I would have them enjoy a few Earth adventures before going off into deep space. Even back then, John was more contemplative than his fellow Earth lanterns. I would not change that.

I would love to see a GLC book featuring John, Kat, Kilowog, Guy, Arisia as the main cast.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I must admit that I am growing impatient for John to do anything of note in Snyder's Justice League. That first storyarc was great, but, since then, he's just...there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I must admit that I am growing impatient for John to do anything of note in Snyder's Justice League. That first storyarc was great, but, since then, he's just...there.
    Sad to say but at least he's there kyle,guy and baz have been missing for while,just take john out of the book and jess from JLO and give all the earth Lanterns books that can concentrate and develop all of them.

But hasn't that been true of any GL on any JLA lineup ever since the Trinity became the only important members?

Yeah, John is just a talking head right now. Not much exploration of his new ring, powers etc.

I know it's a team book and everyone has to share the spotlight but John hasn't had much development since the first arc.

Extraordinary Member

These valid comments (plus the weird stuff with the Legion) are the reasons why I'm knee deep in Pre-Crisis lore.

The spotlight, character development, and progression was more spread out, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    These valid comments (plus the weird stuff with the Legion) are the reasons why I'm knee deep in Pre-Crisis lore.

The spotlight, character development, and progression was more spread out, imo.
    I know how you feel.

I agree. I, too enjoyed the first story arc for John. And I totally understand there's other characters that Snyder has to work on. John apparently doesn't appear to have a ring, but a tattoo ring for unknown reasons. So why leave unanswered questions for this long!? John sharing these 7+ characters is understandable. So he shouldn't bite off more than he can chew. The only hope is that the upcoming issues is John and Barry teaming up to recruit the JSA. Even then, the story would probably have more focus on the JSA than John. I don't really appreciate half ass attempts to this character. You can't expect the character to grow that way.

Which is why I thought giving John some kind of mini to resolve all of this would be a good solution.

BANNED

If DC was going to give John Stewart a mini to resolve this Ultra-Violet spectrum plotline, they should have done it a year ago when interest in that topic was higher. Or whenever that was. If a mini were to be done at all, it would be intelligent to have a story that spins directly out from Justice League in an effort to pull in some of that readership that may not buy because of John Stewart alone. I think they pissed that opportunity away at this point, however.

It seems Snyder lost a bit of control of the story and whatever he was planning to do with John Stewart likely hit the cutting room floor to make room for Snyder's "Forces"! Not surprising to me.

Remember when the JLA was a book where they were able to focus on non-Trinity characters since they didn't have their own books where they could be developed? Those were the days...