Page 85 of 103 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 1538
    Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

If the 5G rumors are to be true (which it seems like it's going to be unfortunately), I will NOT be supporting this man (Dan Didio), Bendis, and anyone who's involved in this crap. Interesting how you have some poc characters that already have a fanbase, but you're trying everything you can to avoid those said characters. After seeing my hopes being ultimately shattered with the potential John/Shayera relationship (and it really pisses me off that there was a chance for it happening, especially since Snyder said that's one of his favorite moments) not happening, then I won't be reading and supporting DC Comics anymore. After JL wraps up, I'm through and have no interest. I'll just go and look elsewhere. I'll probably come back once Dan Didio is gone already. I'm really tired of those guys and wish they were just gone and leave already.

Certainly seems like Bendis' handiwork. Is it really a coincidence that he rushed to create a new Lantern, just like he did with the other legacy mantles at Marvel when ANAD Marvel first started. I'm not sure what would happen to the other earth Lanterns since the rumors suggest that only Hal would be replaced, but hope they're smart enough to do a GLC book along with whatever the main title turns into. I hope they've learned their lesson from the 90s when they decided to only have Kyle as GL.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Certainly seems like Bendis' handiwork. Is it really a coincidence that he rushed to create a new Lantern, just like he did with the other legacy mantles at Marvel when ANAD Marvel first started. I'm not sure what would happen to the other earth Lanterns since the rumors suggest that only Hal would be replaced, but hope they're smart enough to do a GLC book along with whatever the main title turns into. I hope they've learned their lesson from the 90s when they decided to only have Kyle as GL.
    So Earth alone has like 9 or 10 lanterns operating within the last 5-10 years, lol? All in the same Corps with the exact same powers? How is this mantle at all special? And between Hal, Simon, Jessica, Teen Lantern, and Far Sector Lantern, half of them have taken on lead roles, while fans of their existing IP like John Stewart and Mari McCabe are continuing to be sidelined. Imagine if instead of developing Black Panther, Marvel just came up with a new PoC every two years, centered stories on them for 2 years and them let them fall into background character status-- Would T'Challa have enough material for his own franchise?
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 10-12-2019 at 06:25 PM.

Ultimate Member

To be Fair Ultimate Peter Parker had a LONG run before Miles showed up.
    Riri NEVER called herself Ironman like Doom did.

I don't think Bendis had a thing to do with Dan's plan. Teen Lantern just happens to be around when Dan decides to do this. Because we have her, another lantern in a novel and one in deep space. All females of color. Two are in the current universe.

Unlike when Kyle took over-you have 3 Earth lanterns. Hal was gone, John had a book as did Guy. Guy kept his book for 4 years. Hal became a villain and John became a mess. Kyle still had a 100+ run.

Now you got at least 10 Earth lanterns. That is a LOT of money about to get tossed. And no lecture from ANYONE is going to smooth over ANY of those fans. Hal& Guy fans maybe but not John fans-who have had it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    So Earth alone has like 9 or 10 lanterns operating within the last 5-10 years, lol? How is this mantle at all special? And between Hal, Simon, Jessica, Teen Lantern, and Far Sector Lantern, half of them have taken on lead roles, while fans of their existing IP like John Stewart and Mari McCabe are continuing to be sidelined. Imagine if instead of developing Black Panther, Marvel just came up with a new PoC every two years, centered stories on them for 2 years and them let them fall into background character status-- Would T'Challa have enough material for his own franchise?
    NO. He would barely have enough if you started that when Priest took over.
    And he would probably be like John & Cyborg-well loved outside comics. However he would still have billion dollar movie with NO books.

BANNED

BANNED

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    If the 5G rumors are to be true (which it seems like it's going to be unfortunately), I will NOT be supporting this man (Dan Didio), Bendis, and anyone who's involved in this crap. Interesting how you have some poc characters that already have a fanbase, but you're trying everything you can to avoid those said characters. After seeing my hopes being ultimately shattered with the potential John/Shayera relationship (and it really pisses me off that there was a chance for it happening, especially since Snyder said that's one of his favorite moments) not happening, then I won't be reading and supporting DC Comics anymore. After JL wraps up, I'm through and have no interest. I'll just go and look elsewhere. I'll probably come back once Dan Didio is gone already. I'm really tired of those guys and wish they were just gone and leave already.
    Man don't get angry over a stupid ship that has ended 13 years ago if you stop giving it any thought you will forget about this stuff in minutes no need to get yourself angry over fictional characters.

Looks like DC's finally resorting to their new desperation attack. At the end of the day, nobody wants to see "all new all different" spins on main universe characters because those are cheap shock value moves that hold no weight because we all know the OG's will return at some point. Nobody's going to permanently replace Bruce Wayne as main DCU current timeline Batman. Nobody's gonna permanently replace Kal-El as main DCU Superman (not even his son). And the list goes on.....On top of that is everybody's long time attachment to certain versions that have stood the test of time. I predict slightly higher results from when Marvel tried this but still a failure all the same.

I got a suggestion for DC: 1) Actually commit to a FULL reboot (that means nobody's hanging onto their previous continuity), 2) keep the hope/happiness/heroism/integrity that people like (no dark and edgy bs to try to make people see how "hip" and "young" the heroes are), 3) use some damn creativity and create some new "POC" characters with importance to the universe and stop trying to cash in a cheap buck off of temporary mantle-bearers that will fade into obscurity after like 2 years. They wasted a prime opportunity with bs like "New Age of Heroes" which was just a big headed flex on Marvel by trying to out-do them with clones of their characters just because Rebirth was doing well initially. They could've struck while the iron was hot, but in true DC fashion, they choked on their own hubris.

On another note, I'm done with the GLC. Too cluttered for its own good with people who don't know how to handle it and just add more Earth lanterns (whether in continuity or not) to gain a brief spike in relevance just to stay above water.

Salty rant over.

Why do people continue to blame Bendis for Teen Lantern's existence, Patrick Gleason literally stated that when he pitched for Young Justice, he had a Teen Lantern as part of the team, when he came over to DC all Bendis did was just keep the idea most likely b/c he wanted to collaborate with Gleason on YJ after booting him and Tyrion off the Supes book.

The way I've heard of this timeline and 5G explained, I'm not seeing the fire, besides why are we acting like John Stewart is the one who'll get burned, I feel like the only one who will truly be effected is Hal, every other GL character will still have their crumbs.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Why do people continue to blame Bendis for Teen Lantern's existence, Patrick Gleason literally stated that when he pitched for Young Justice, he had a Teen Lantern as part of the team, when he came over to DC all Bendis did was just keep the idea most likely b/c he wanted to collaborate with Gleason on YJ after booting him and Tyrion off the Supes book.

The way I've heard of this timeline and 5G explained, I'm not seeing the fire, besides why are we acting like John Stewart is the one who'll get burned, I feel like the only one who will truly be effected is Hal, every other GL character will still have their crumbs.
    Splitting the franchise even further hurts development and genercizes all of the existing characters in an already fractured fanbase. Another annoying symptom in an ongoing trend. Imagine Sam Wilson taking the mantle of Cap and then 6 other characters filling the role within the following 5 years. How does Sam benefit? He just becomes part of a generic stable of characters. And then how does turning Sam into what is essentially GI Joe #786 help representation? Steve comes back and Sam's time as Cap is a footnote in the character's history, and the other replacements fall into limbo because a franchise can't sustain that many leads with the same mantle.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 10-12-2019 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Splitting the franchise even further hurts development and genercizes all of the existing characters in an already fractured fanbase. Another annoying symptom in an ongoing trend. Imagine Sam Wilson taking the mantle of Cap and then 6 other characters filling the role within the following 5 years. How does Sam benefit? He just becomes part of a generic stable of characters. And then how does turning Sam into what is essentially GI Joe #786 help representation? Steve comes back and Sam's time as Cap is a footnote in the character's history, and the other replacements fall into limbo because a franchise can't sustain that many leads with the same mantle.
    but that reasoning only is a problemz as it pertains to John, if he were being treated well to get burned in the first place. of all the IP to be worried about when it comes to this 5G launch, Green Lantern isn't the one to worry about. contrary to DC's belief, GL is an ensemble, it having so many character isn't a problem (it's not a problem for the X-Men) it's how garbage DC's been at handling the characters. I'm not worried about John getting burned by any new Lantern because DC's been burning and dumping on John on and off for 2 decades now, he's had some bring spots and I enjoy that Snyder put him on the league but that nothing of John's has yield any fruit that a next character could steal from him. when they have something interesting and worthwhile with John to actually get burnt then I'll be worried.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-12-2019 at 09:54 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    but that reasoning only is a problem as it pertains to John if he were being treated well to get burned in the first place. of all the IP to be worried about when it comes to this 5G launch, Green Lantern isn't the one to worry about. contrary to DC's belief, GL is an ensemble, it having so many character isn't a problem (it's not a problem for the X-Men) it's how garbage DC's been at handling the characters.
    X-Men have different powers, so they're mostly unique. GLs all have the same abilities. You can say their imaginations are different, but that has no real effect on storytelling. They're all essentially the same. What makes the lead unique is that he or she is the human POV.

And DC is sh**ing on their existing characters to pat themselves on the back for 2 years before their issues with diversity return. How can PoC characters ever be seen as equal to Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc., when they're being treated like generic satellite characters who are constantly shoved in the background?

I'm not interested in representation alone. I want quality, which comes from consistency and good storytelling.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 10-12-2019 at 10:11 PM.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

The rumor is that Hal is getting replaced but Morrison is getting rid of the whole GLC. So Jess, Kyle, Guy, John and Simon are potentially losing their GL status. Now, Idk if they would come back before the replacement shows up or if this is some contained development but this is some coincidental timing.