Page 74 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2464707172737475767778 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1242
  1. #1096
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    If DC was going to give John Stewart a mini to resolve this Ultra-Violet spectrum plotline, they should have done it a year ago when interest in that topic was higher. Or whenever that was. If a mini were to be done at all, it would be intelligent to have a story that spins directly out from Justice League in an effort to pull in some of that readership that may not buy because of John Stewart alone. I think they pissed that opportunity away at this point, however.

    It seems Snyder lost a bit of control of the story and whatever he was planning to do with John Stewart likely hit the cutting room floor to make room for Snyder's "Forces"! Not surprising to me.

    Kinda like how John's film debut from the 2011 film was left on he cutting room floor, lol!

    Now that you posted that, I can't help but think of how much material featuring John is just sitting around somewhere.

  2. #1097
    Extraordinary Member Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    5,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Remember when the JLA was a book where they were able to focus on non-Trinity characters since they didn't have their own books where they could be developed? Those were the days...
    Feels like forever.

  3. #1098
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Remember when the JLA was a book where they were able to focus on non-Trinity characters since they didn't have their own books where they could be developed? Those were the days...
    The bickering between Green Arrow & Hawkman was pretty fun.

    I even got a kick out of John calling Red Tornado...brother.

    I'm really not sure why DC under utilizes the character dynamics that made Justice League fun.

    The JL film flopped, too. DC should use JL to build up their secondary characters.

  4. #1099
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,766

    Default

    Honestly, if John is part of the League for the foreseeable future, pair him up with characters no so closely tied to Hal, and from the DCAU.

    I don't think John needs to be buddy-buddy with Barry Allen.

    Make John buddies with Hawkman (a funny twist), or even Diana.

    A writer should be able to squeeze interesting philosophical dialogue between Diana & John. Diana & John were both raised by single mothers, iirc. Most of the time, heroes go on & on about their larger than life or evil father. Diana & John could trade war stories about their mothers.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 08-15-2019 at 09:51 AM.

  5. #1100
    Extraordinary Member Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    5,902

    Default

    I think making him buddies with Barry is more about staying true to to the Flash/GL friendship tradition, rather than the particular characters they're using. Barry dated Jessica in the previous JL run, they even had 3 kids from an alternate future. I think it's fair to say that whoever happens to be the GL, they would always give him/her the Flash connection.

  6. #1101
    Uncanny King-Kamalu lemonpeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    the internet
    Posts
    1,665

    Default

    I'm ok with him being buddies with Barry, at this point those are the few times we get to see him actually talk and be a person, but my issue is that they did the same thing Tynion did with Batwing and Azrael when he didn't know what to do with them in his Detective run. John is starting to feel dangerously close to reaching token territory, and I can't really say I can fully blame Snyder, DC continues to do a terrible job managing John. Snyder should be able to do a better job balancing so many characters (something he clearly is struggling with) but at the same time DC should know how to keep the characters in their flagship title fully fleshed out and relevant in other books. When there's only one character who doesn't have a central role anywhere, how hard is it to figure out there should've been a mini, of a maxi, or a one-shot issue for them ASAP? If anything, just to bolster the prestige of the team a bit. Sinestro got a year of the Villain one-shot, and is getting a Tales from the Dark Multiverse story, John's last starring role was a one-off story in the DC showcase. Year of the Villain isn't doing any favors for the character either because they need to spotlight the villains, so he gets booted further down the line since their already not using him. I don't understand how John Stewart continues to be DC's biggest blindspot despite his pop cultural notoriety. -sigh- Patience I guess, we'll see what Snyder does in his JSA arc, but I doubt we're gonna get any answers about John's physiology situation. Hell, they still draw him with a ring. I was most excited about that development but it looks like it's just gonna get hand waved away at this point, and that's a bummer.
    SIGNAL/Duke Thomas is the Midnight Sun of Gotham (respect thread)
    John Stewart is my Lantern.
    Naomi was great, pass it on...
    DC: Batman and the Outsiders, Justice League, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Flash, Justice League Odyssey, Doomsday Clock
    Marvel: Immortal Hulk, Miles Morales: Spiderman, Black Panther, Ironheart, Cosmic Ghost Rider etc., Venom, Moon Girl, Avengers
    Anticipated titles: Far Sector, Love Army*, The Other History of DC*

  7. #1102
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Remember when the JLA was a book where they were able to focus on non-Trinity characters since they didn't have their own books where they could be developed? Those were the days...
    Uhh...have you be reading Justice League? J'onn and Kendra have been at the center of the whole thing. They are non-Trinity characters.
    Currently Reading:

    DC: The Flash, Teen Titans, Justice League, Doomsday Clock, Justice League Dark, Aquaman

    Image: Lazarus, Black Magick

    Boom: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Go Go Power Rangers

  8. #1103
    Astonishing Member Sodam Yat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Daxam
    Posts
    3,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I'm ok with him being buddies with Barry, at this point those are the few times we get to see him actually talk and be a person, but my issue is that they did the same thing Tynion did with Batwing and Azrael when he didn't know what to do with them in his Detective run. John is starting to feel dangerously close to reaching token territory, and I can't really say I can fully blame Snyder, DC continues to do a terrible job managing John. Snyder should be able to do a better job balancing so many characters (something he clearly is struggling with) but at the same time DC should know how to keep the characters in their flagship title fully fleshed out and relevant in other books. When there's only one character who doesn't have a central role anywhere, how hard is it to figure out there should've been a mini, of a maxi, or a one-shot issue for them ASAP? If anything, just to bolster the prestige of the team a bit. Sinestro got a year of the Villain one-shot, and is getting a Tales from the Dark Multiverse story, John's last starring role was a one-off story in the DC showcase. Year of the Villain isn't doing any favors for the character either because they need to spotlight the villains, so he gets booted further down the line since their already not using him. I don't understand how John Stewart continues to be DC's biggest blindspot despite his pop cultural notoriety. -sigh- Patience I guess, we'll see what Snyder does in his JSA arc, but I doubt we're gonna get any answers about John's physiology situation. Hell, they still draw him with a ring. I was most excited about that development but it looks like it's just gonna get hand waved away at this point, and that's a bummer.
    I wouldn't go far to say he's close to reaching token territory, which the first story-arc was focused on him and Barry. If anyone is more of a token, it's Cyborg.

    Anyways, I do 100% agree on what you're saying here.

  9. #1104
    Astonishing Member Sodam Yat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Daxam
    Posts
    3,118

    Default

    I honestly dislike on how characters like Martian Manhunter getting so much focus on this series. Probably more than every leaguer in this book. The bigger focus should really be John Stewart and Kendra, since they're the ones without books, so it would be more wise to give them more screen time.

  10. #1105
    Astonishing Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Uhh...have you be reading Justice League? J'onn and Kendra have been at the center of the whole thing. They are non-Trinity characters.
    You're right. It's just my impression of JL stuff in general the past bunch of years.

  11. #1106
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I think making him buddies with Barry is more about staying true to to the Flash/GL friendship tradition, rather than the particular characters they're using. Barry dated Jessica in the previous JL run, they even had 3 kids from an alternate future. I think it's fair to say that whoever happens to be the GL, they would always give him/her the Flash connection.
    I see. Outside of both being very methodical, I'm not sure what they have in common. I'd rather see John with Wally, but that is my personal bias.

  12. #1107
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,766

    Default

    I'm glad MM is getting his due after being apart from the team for so long.

    However, I really don't see how hard it could be to devote 2-3 pages an issue to John Stewart.

    Give us a few panels of John practicing his new power.

  13. #1108
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    392

    Default

    What I meant when I said I'd like to see less detailed constructs:



    More concentration could lead to more detail, but who can concentrate that hard in a firefight?

  14. #1109
    Extraordinary Member Holt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6,836

    Default



  15. #1110

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •