Page 68 of 103 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1538
    BANNED

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 07-22-2019 at 03:31 PM.

BANNED

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

He may not get a lot of focus in JL but at least some good artist are drawing him.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    He may not get a lot of focus in JL but at least some good artist are drawing him.
    On the positive side, he's also on the core JL team participating in DC's biggest event.

On the negative side, I do think John should get the same higher focused treatment as Hawkgirl and Martian Manhunter. But I would even go further and say he should get more focused than The Martian Manhunter. At least he has a book, so why is his role bigger than John's!? If John had his own book, it wouldn't be a problem to me. The Green Lantern is one of the most popular figures on the team, you should expect him to have a solo book. If I just got into comics and picked up Justice League, and thought Green Lantern is interesting from reading Justice League, I would be asking "where the hell is John Stewart's book!?" And then tell me there is a Green Lantern book and it's not the character I'm looking for, then I would pass. Who cares if there's more than one Green Lantern book. Who cares!!? DC needs to stop holding the character back for the sake of the other Green Lantern and use him to the fullest.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    On the positive side, he's also on the core JL team participating in DC's biggest event.

On the negative side, I do think John should get the same higher focused treatment as Hawkgirl and Martian Manhunter. But I would even go further and say he should get more focused than The Martian Manhunter. At least he has a book, so why is his role bigger than John's!? If John had his own book, it wouldn't be a problem to me. The Green Lantern is one of the most popular figures on the team, you should expect him to have a solo book. If I just got into comics and picked up Justice League, and thought Green Lantern is interesting from reading Justice League, I would be asking "where the hell is John Stewart's book!?" And then tell me there is a Green Lantern book and it's not the character I'm looking for, then I would pass. Who cares if there's more than one Green Lantern book. Who cares!!? DC needs to stop holding the character back for the sake of the other Green Lantern and use him to the fullest.
    the lack of a book is 100% a detriment to the character. While I am glad he's on the team, with a writer like Snyder who at least cares about the character, having Hal Jordan be the one leading the only Green Lantern book when John is the "main" Lantern on the JL was a silly move. I just do not understand DC's continued hesitance to give John a solo book. the mismanagement of John Stewart continues to be one if the most perplexing phenomenon at DC comics for me.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post

You already know who is going to complain. You will hear every excuse given while there are others where those excuses are not being tossed out.

Just like I said about Storm-it's NICE she's getting usage in Panther books but at the END of the day-what franchise does she belong to? What franchise is she suppose to be making MONEY for?
    Like John you can't do that when your franchise ignores you and others. It makes a HARDER sell of said franchise to others.

Because like you said if someone takes an interest in John-they have nothing to read beyond JL. That is money lost and that is UNFAIR to Hal fans to have to make up for all those loss revenue. Because you can't give him help when you have 5 other lanterns who held solo books. 4 boasting 40+ issue runs.

BANNED

So, now it seems people are starting to realize what I've said for...what, months now? John Stewart's role in Justice League is inconsequential. It's meant to bait people (like you), who get excited simply to see the character drawn, and who get a sense of pride simply by having him around in the Justice League, so that you'll hopefully shut up about him not being anywhere in the DCU. I admit, I used to kind of be that way, so I understand it. Eventually, I got WOKE and realized that type of stuff is just superficial fluff. In reality, in Justice League, John hasn't done much of anything, and his being there hasn't done much of anything for his character. What issue number is it at now? Going on 30 or somewhere close by? You can hold out hope, but pretty soon that will start looking silly. I guess he'll do something with the JSA, but chances are the focus will be primarily on the JSA and John will...be there.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    So, now it seems people are starting to realize what I've said for...what, months now? John Stewart's role in Justice League is inconsequential. It's meant to bait people (like you), who get excited simply to see the character drawn, and who get a sense of pride simply by having him around in the Justice League, so that you'll hopefully shut up about him not being anywhere in the DCU. I admit, I used to kind of be that way, so I understand it. Eventually, I got WOKE and realized that type of stuff is just superficial fluff. In reality, in Justice League, John hasn't done much of anything, and his being there hasn't done much of anything for his character. What issue number is it at now? Going on 30 or somewhere close by? You can hold out hope, but pretty soon that will start looking silly. I guess he'll do something with the JSA, but chances are the focus will be primarily on the JSA and John will...be there.
    I gotta agree with you.

I can't help but laugh at two of the covers showing John & Hawkgirl in close proximity to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    I also like the idea of keeping the constructs simple and elemental instead of being so detailed. Why create a machine gun when you can just fire lasers, force blasts, or emerald flame? If a GL creates a hand construct, does it really need finger nails or grooves on it? Does a GL really need to make a motorcycle or jet plane when they can fly on their own power? Just sketch the constructs like hammers, gauntlets, razors, etc. as simply as possible--keeps the property from being too cheesey. Probably a better reflection of how the mind reacts on the fly anyway.
    I don't know if it's ever been stated explicitly, but I take the details to be a subconscious thing - when someone thinks "truck," they don't imagine the details on the hubcaps or the steering wheel, but the ring manifests it from the user's mind. That's the only way that makes sense to me. I mean, they might not even think "truck" - it could be a simple unarticulated intention like "hit that guy really hard" and for someone it's a truck, for someone else, it's a big fist.

Spectacular Member

I wonder if his ring is still a tattoo thing or it's back to being an actual ring? It's been a while since that happened and nothing has been explored about it. Feels like they traded him out for Cyborg where he has no relevance to the plot honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironmonk View Post
    I wonder if his ring is still a tattoo thing or it's back to being an actual ring? It's been a while since that happened and nothing has been explored about it. Feels like they traded him out for Cyborg where he has no relevance to the plot honestly.
    as it stands he still doesn't have a ring, just the tattoo, but a lot of the covers still show him with a ring because they haven't done anything with it. the roster is too big for John's situation to be fleshed out in a fulfilling way, despite Snyder's best intentions. John needs a solo to pick up the plot threads. unfortunately DC isn't interested in that right now, but fortunately John and Barry are going to be handling the JSA reintroduction so maybe we'll see something there. Also, considering John is the Green Lantern in JL, we'll probably see him pop up in Sinestro's Year of the Villain one-shot.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I gotta agree with you.

I can't help but laugh at two of the covers showing John & Hawkgirl in close proximity to each other.
    I've said it before, but the moment I saw John Stewart walk out of a story as a complete asexual while surrounded by Hawkgirls, I knew it was over for him. There was literally no hope of anything worthwhile being done with the character in this run, and anyone who thought otherwise was just fooling themselves. No writer who truly likes the character and truly has something to say with him, and reallyy respects what the character has accomplished would have done something like that. I can understand if someone isn't totally in love with that Hawkgirl ship, but to not even acknowledge John Stewart's storied history with Hawkgirl in even the slightest respect when everything is finally perfectly aligned to do so was really telling for me.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    the lack of a book is 100% a detriment to the character. While I am glad he's on the team, with a writer like Snyder who at least cares about the character, having Hal Jordan be the one leading the only Green Lantern book when John is the "main" Lantern on the JL was a silly move. I just do not understand DC's continued hesitance to give John a solo book. the mismanagement of John Stewart continues to be one if the most perplexing phenomenon at DC comics for me.
    It's because of guys like Dan Didio. I think the main problem comes DIRECTLY from him. He wanted a Green Lantern book specifically about Hal Jordan and no one else.

What makes matters worse is that writers like Mark Russell submitted a pitch for a John Stewart solo, but yet he's said that he won't know whether they will green lit his pitch or not until Gran Morrison wraps up Green Lantern. I think it's rather silly when characters like John Stewart is participating in this big wide event and being a part of the A-list team not having his solo. I bet you if Scott Snyder requested to do a Green Lantern book starring John Stewart, he would also have to wait for their answers AFTER Grant Morrison finishes. I think it's really that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    as it stands he still doesn't have a ring, just the tattoo, but a lot of the covers still show him with a ring because they haven't done anything with it. the roster is too big for John's situation to be fleshed out in a fulfilling way, despite Snyder's best intentions. John needs a solo to pick up the plot threads. unfortunately DC isn't interested in that right now, but fortunately John and Barry are going to be handling the JSA reintroduction so maybe we'll see something there. Also, considering John is the Green Lantern in JL, we'll probably see him pop up in Sinestro's Year of the Villain one-shot.
    As I said pages back, it's interesting that the same writer who wants to write a John Stewart solo is being involved in writing the Sinestro one-shot. So I wouldn't be surprised if John made some kind of appearance in there.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You already know who is going to complain. You will hear every excuse given while there are others where those excuses are not being tossed out.

Just like I said about Storm-it's NICE she's getting usage in Panther books but at the END of the day-what franchise does she belong to? What franchise is she suppose to be making MONEY for?
    Like John you can't do that when your franchise ignores you and others. It makes a HARDER sell of said franchise to others.

Because like you said if someone takes an interest in John-they have nothing to read beyond JL. That is money lost and that is UNFAIR to Hal fans to have to make up for all those loss revenue. Because you can't give him help when you have 5 other lanterns who held solo books. 4 boasting 40+ issue runs.
    Exactly. I would just rather use my money somewhere else.

BANNED

I have to think everyone already knows this, but realistically, DC cannot release books for every character, especially when they're scaling things way back the way they are (cancelling books, shutting down imprints, stopping double shipping). For John Stewart to get a title in this publishing environment, I think a creator that DC feels can really move units based on their name would have to pitch a specific John Stewart book to DC, because I don't believe the character by itself is really all that dependable. While John Stewart may have more people who like him in general (I really don't know), I think Hal Jordan has a bigger audience of people actually willing to spend money on monthly comics and graphic novels, and that's all that likely matters to DC Comics. Well...that and DiDio's clear favoritism, but it doesn't all come down to that latter factor.