Page 60 of 103 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeneuron View Post
    I'm confused. Are you saying that African Americans are still slaves because they kept their surnames?
    In one word.....no.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    That's quite a leap, I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion. Think of it like this, if you were born in Japan and Japan never let anyone outside Japan on the island, and no one left the island but you're name is Juan Gonzales or John Conington, is that not odd? Would it not make more sense if your name were Yusuke Tanaka or Masahiro Urameshi?
    Post drift....

One of my favorite anime characters!

....end post drift.

Extraordinary Member

I guess that could be as good a explanation as any but as I said, I doubt DC would put that much thought into it. I'm sure if they brought him back they'd probably connect him to John Stewart long before they'd think to touch on anything remotely African about him or Marzal.
    It is sad how so little creative energy goes into some of these characters.

BANNED

That's quite a leap, I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion. Think of it like this, if you were born in Japan and Japan never let anyone outside Japan on the island, and no one left the island but you're name is Juan Gonzales or John Conington, is that not odd? Would it not make more sense if your name were Yusuke Tanaka or Masahiro Urameshi?
    I think I understand what you are trying to say but John Stewart was not born in Africa as far as I know. So he doesn't have an African name. Should his descendants in the future adopt an African surname to identify them as Africans? I think that would be a cool thing to do. Afro Futurism would help the Legion of Superheroes become more relatable. But what about the African americans/Blacks who didn't come from Africa. Some are Native Americans, Jamacia, Latino, the first Europeans etc.. it would be cool if they were mentioned also and included as part of Afro Futurism.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeneuron View Post
    I think I understand what you are trying to say but John Stewart was not born in Africa as far as I know. So he doesn't have an African name. Should his descendants in the future adopt an African surname to identify them as Africans? I think that would be a cool thing to do. Afro Futurism would help the Legion of Superheroes become more relatable. But what about the African americans/Blacks who didn't come from Africa. Some are Native Americans, Jamacia, Latino, the first Europeans etc.. it would be cool if they were mentioned also and included as part of Afro Futurism.
    I think I understand the confusion, we're talking about TROY Stewart aka Tyroc not John Stewart. Tyroc is from Marzal, a island nation off the coast of Africa inhabited by Africans that WERE going to be taken as slaves but revolted on the ship and turned it back; landing on Marzal. The Marzalians, as Africans, should still have African names as they were never given Slaver surnames and the only points of reference for those kind of names would be their would-be enslavers whom they killed. Tyroc is a descendant of those Africans so it always bothered me, as an African, that this African character could have a Greek/English name when his culture wouldn't have adopted those kind of names since they were never slaves AND their island largely exist outside of Earth's dimension. Hence my conflict, while it would've been cool if they did connect Troy Stewart to John Stewart as a descendant (which as far as we know they aren't) I would personally prefer if they made Tyroc more authentically African and making him a descendant of John is somewhat antithetical to that.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-19-2019 at 10:37 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    It is sad how so little creative energy goes into some of these characters.
    Indeed, like I said before, Marzal is the closest thing DC has to Wakanda but I think it's largely incidental, much like him and John having the same last name was probably largely incidental as well. DC's creative energy largely goes to trying to find new ways to keep their "main" characters relevant as opposed to fleshing out some of their more obscure and underdeveloped smaller concepts; which is understandable I guess. It's kinda fustrating but still, understandable.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

BANNED

Do you guys think Snyder developing the John/Barry friendship might lead to John guest-appearing in The Flash?

Aha, I see you're a person of culture as well lol. SPIRIT GUN!

Post drift....

One of my favorite anime characters!

....end post drift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    Aha, I see you're a person of culture as well lol. SPIRIT GUN!
    Ahaha I thought I was being slick. Top tier anime and one of the best intro songs of all time!

currently following:

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Do you guys think Snyder developing the John/Barry friendship might lead to John guest-appearing in The Flash?
    I would love for that to happen, but it's up to Joshua Williamson but if there is enough enthusiasm about the bromance I'm sure he wouldn't mind doing it. So I hope Snyder continues to develop it further, it would be nice to see John to have more close relationships with other heroes outside the Green Lantern Corps.

currently following:

Extraordinary Member

Storm of the X-Men is the product of a Kenyan woman, and an African American father, hence her name Ororo Munroe. I was just thinking the same could be done with Troy, and explain why someone from Marzal would have an American name. Troy's father, a descendant of John Stewart, immigrated to Marzal, and created a family. Hence, we have Troy Stewart.

Extraordinary Member

I like that fact that John has an employable skill if he ever decided to retire.

John made enough to support three people, lol.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I like that fact that John has an employable skill if he ever decided to retire.

John made enough to support three people, lol.

LMAO. I didn't get this far with the old GL runs because I stopped at issue 200 but the others free loading off of John and Kat is hilarious.
    Last edited by HandofPrometheus; 06-20-2019 at 10:08 AM.

What do you think are the best issues or best storyline for John Stewart?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    LMAO. I didn't get this far with the old GL runs because I stopped at issue 200 but the others free loading off of John and Kat is hilarious.
    I always joked to myself, this was the reason Parallax Hal cured John's paralysis.

Hal was thinkin' the least I can do is help the brotha walk again after eating him out of house & home.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 06-23-2019 at 09:05 AM.