Page 60 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364 ... LastLast
Results 886 to 900 of 1001
  1. #886
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wakeneuron View Post
    I'm confused. Are you saying that African Americans are still slaves because they kept their surnames?
    In one word.....no.

  2. #887
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    That's quite a leap, I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion. Think of it like this, if you were born in Japan and Japan never let anyone outside Japan on the island, and no one left the island but you're name is Juan Gonzales or John Conington, is that not odd? Would it not make more sense if your name were Yusuke Tanaka or Masahiro Urameshi?
    Post drift....

    One of my favorite anime characters!


    ....end post drift.

  3. #888
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I guess that could be as good a explanation as any but as I said, I doubt DC would put that much thought into it. I'm sure if they brought him back they'd probably connect him to John Stewart long before they'd think to touch on anything remotely African about him or Marzal.
    It is sad how so little creative energy goes into some of these characters.

  4. #889
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    That's quite a leap, I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion. Think of it like this, if you were born in Japan and Japan never let anyone outside Japan on the island, and no one left the island but you're name is Juan Gonzales or John Conington, is that not odd? Would it not make more sense if your name were Yusuke Tanaka or Masahiro Urameshi?
    I think I understand what you are trying to say but John Stewart was not born in Africa as far as I know. So he doesn't have an African name. Should his descendants in the future adopt an African surname to identify them as Africans? I think that would be a cool thing to do. Afro Futurism would help the Legion of Superheroes become more relatable. But what about the African americans/Blacks who didn't come from Africa. Some are Native Americans, Jamacia, Latino, the first Europeans etc.. it would be cool if they were mentioned also and included as part of Afro Futurism.

  5. #890
    Uncanny King-Kamalu lemonpeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    the internet
    Posts
    1,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wakeneuron View Post
    I think I understand what you are trying to say but John Stewart was not born in Africa as far as I know. So he doesn't have an African name. Should his descendants in the future adopt an African surname to identify them as Africans? I think that would be a cool thing to do. Afro Futurism would help the Legion of Superheroes become more relatable. But what about the African americans/Blacks who didn't come from Africa. Some are Native Americans, Jamacia, Latino, the first Europeans etc.. it would be cool if they were mentioned also and included as part of Afro Futurism.
    I think I understand the confusion, we're talking about TROY Stewart aka Tyroc not John Stewart. Tyroc is from Marzal, a island nation off the coast of Africa inhabited by Africans that WERE going to be taken as slaves but revolted on the ship and turned it back; landing on Marzal. The Marzalians, as Africans, should still have African names as they were never given Slaver surnames and the only points of reference for those kind of names would be their would-be enslavers whom they killed. Tyroc is a descendant of those Africans so it always bothered me, as an African, that this African character could have a Greek/English name when his culture wouldn't have adopted those kind of names since they were never slaves AND their island largely exist outside of Earth's dimension. Hence my conflict, while it would've been cool if they did connect Troy Stewart to John Stewart as a descendant (which as far as we know they aren't) I would personally prefer if they made Tyroc more authentically African and making him a descendant of John is somewhat antithetical to that.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-19-2019 at 10:37 AM.
    SIGNAL/Duke Thomas is the Midnight Sun of Gotham (respect thread)

    John Stewart is my Lantern.

    Naomi was great, pass it on...

    DC: Batman and the Outsiders, Justice League, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Flash, Justice League Odyssey, Doomsday Clock

    Marvel: Immortal Hulk, Miles Morales: Spiderman, Black Panther, Ironheart, Cosmic Ghost Rider etc., Venom, Moon Girl, Avengers

    Anticipated titles: Far Sector, Love Army*, The Other History of DC*

  6. #891
    Uncanny King-Kamalu lemonpeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    the internet
    Posts
    1,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    It is sad how so little creative energy goes into some of these characters.
    Indeed, like I said before, Marzal is the closest thing DC has to Wakanda but I think it's largely incidental, much like him and John having the same last name was probably largely incidental as well. DC's creative energy largely goes to trying to find new ways to keep their "main" characters relevant as opposed to fleshing out some of their more obscure and underdeveloped smaller concepts; which is understandable I guess. It's kinda fustrating but still, understandable.
    SIGNAL/Duke Thomas is the Midnight Sun of Gotham (respect thread)

    John Stewart is my Lantern.

    Naomi was great, pass it on...

    DC: Batman and the Outsiders, Justice League, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Flash, Justice League Odyssey, Doomsday Clock

    Marvel: Immortal Hulk, Miles Morales: Spiderman, Black Panther, Ironheart, Cosmic Ghost Rider etc., Venom, Moon Girl, Avengers

    Anticipated titles: Far Sector, Love Army*, The Other History of DC*

  7. #892
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Do you guys think Snyder developing the John/Barry friendship might lead to John guest-appearing in The Flash?

  8. #893
    Spectacular Member Cosmic Emerald 23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    That's quite a leap, I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion. Think of it like this, if you were born in Japan and Japan never let anyone outside Japan on the island, and no one left the island but you're name is Juan Gonzales or John Conington, is that not odd? Would it not make more sense if your name were Yusuke Tanaka or Masahiro Urameshi?
    Aha, I see you're a person of culture as well lol. SPIRIT GUN!

  9. #894
    Uncanny King-Kamalu lemonpeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    the internet
    Posts
    1,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Post drift....

    One of my favorite anime characters!


    ....end post drift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    Aha, I see you're a person of culture as well lol. SPIRIT GUN!
    Ahaha I thought I was being slick. Top tier anime and one of the best intro songs of all time!
    SIGNAL/Duke Thomas is the Midnight Sun of Gotham (respect thread)

    John Stewart is my Lantern.

    Naomi was great, pass it on...

    DC: Batman and the Outsiders, Justice League, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Flash, Justice League Odyssey, Doomsday Clock

    Marvel: Immortal Hulk, Miles Morales: Spiderman, Black Panther, Ironheart, Cosmic Ghost Rider etc., Venom, Moon Girl, Avengers

    Anticipated titles: Far Sector, Love Army*, The Other History of DC*

  10. #895
    Uncanny King-Kamalu lemonpeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    the internet
    Posts
    1,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Do you guys think Snyder developing the John/Barry friendship might lead to John guest-appearing in The Flash?
    I would love for that to happen, but it's up to Joshua Williamson but if there is enough enthusiasm about the bromance I'm sure he wouldn't mind doing it. So I hope Snyder continues to develop it further, it would be nice to see John to have more close relationships with other heroes outside the Green Lantern Corps.
    SIGNAL/Duke Thomas is the Midnight Sun of Gotham (respect thread)

    John Stewart is my Lantern.

    Naomi was great, pass it on...

    DC: Batman and the Outsiders, Justice League, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Flash, Justice League Odyssey, Doomsday Clock

    Marvel: Immortal Hulk, Miles Morales: Spiderman, Black Panther, Ironheart, Cosmic Ghost Rider etc., Venom, Moon Girl, Avengers

    Anticipated titles: Far Sector, Love Army*, The Other History of DC*

  11. #896
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,654

    Default

    Storm of the X-Men is the product of a Kenyan woman, and an African American father, hence her name Ororo Munroe. I was just thinking the same could be done with Troy, and explain why someone from Marzal would have an American name. Troy's father, a descendant of John Stewart, immigrated to Marzal, and created a family. Hence, we have Troy Stewart.

  12. #897
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,654

    Default

    I like that fact that John has an employable skill if he ever decided to retire.

    John made enough to support three people, lol.


  13. #898
    Astonishing Member HandofPrometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,779

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I like that fact that John has an employable skill if he ever decided to retire.

    John made enough to support three people, lol.

    LMAO. I didn't get this far with the old GL runs because I stopped at issue 200 but the others free loading off of John and Kat is hilarious.
    Last edited by HandofPrometheus; 06-20-2019 at 10:08 AM.

  14. #899
    Fantastic Member Tzigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    376

    Default

    What do you think are the best issues or best storyline for John Stewart?

  15. #900
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    LMAO. I didn't get this far with the old GL runs because I stopped at issue 200 but the others free loading off of John and Kat is hilarious.
    I always joked to myself, this was the reason Parallax Hal cured John's paralysis.

    Hal was thinkin' the least I can do is help the brotha walk again after eating him out of house & home.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 06-23-2019 at 09:05 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •