Page 42 of 103 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292 ... LastLast

Yeah it definitely looks that way. Unless they can get it together with the rights for the Milestone characters, I don't see em achieving the desired results. They could coast by on the movies, but that's a big "could".

Crazy idea time:
    Do you think them creating characters in the movies (once they gain more momentum like Marvel has of course) could work to bolster the diverse roster? Since most people watch the movies and aren't really into the comics, why not bring the new characters and ideas to the larger audience to really see how they catch on? After they see how much $$$ these characters bring in/don't bring in, then they could choose to push them in the comics. Similar to how Guardians of the Galaxy (yes I know they're from the comics) rose to prominence in the comics because of their on screen success with the audience having no prior knowledge/awareness of said characters and there being no promise of them catching on.

Extraordinary Member

The thing with DC, they are very selective with promoting characters that have successfully crossed over in other media.

DC made sure Harley got her due.

But John Steward & Kaldur'ahm....not so much.

If Marvel owned John & Kaldur'ahm...they would have gotten time under the sun.

I suspect Marvel would have done something with Mal & Karen Duncan, too.

I'd say keep an eye on Arrow next week. Ernie Hudson is guest-starring as a general called "Stewart" who Diggle apparently has a complicated past history with. Could it possibly turn out to be his father and for some reason John changed his last name to Diggle in the past? Perhaps too convenient? Who knows. Don't mean to give people false hopes or anything, but I think it still sounds intriguing.

http://www.greenarrowtv.com/arrow-sp.../ar719a_0274b/
    Last edited by Johnny; 04-18-2019 at 07:58 AM.

BANNED

I haven't seen much of that show. Isn't he married to Harbinger?

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I haven't seen much of that show. Isn't he married to Harbinger?
    He is, yeah. Though she literally has nothing in common with the comic book version.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    He is, yeah. Though she literally has nothing in common with the comic book version.
    They should have used the opportunity to have a connection with her comic version when they did their Crisis thing-y. But again, this is coming from someone who is very ignorant about the "Arrowverse."

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I'd say keep an eye on Arrow next week. Ernie Hudson is guest-starring as a general called "Stewart" who Diggle apparently has a complicated past history with. Could it possibly turn out to be his father and for some reason John changed his last name to Diggle in the past? Perhaps too convenient? Who knows. Don't mean to give people false hopes or anything, but I think it still sounds intriguing.

http://www.greenarrowtv.com/arrow-sp.../ar719a_0274b/
    Kinda late to be doing this now, even if they've already done the reference (and Diggle is his own unique character at this point).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Kinda late to be doing this now, even if they've already done the reference (and Diggle is his own unique character at this point).
    I'm thinking that since Arrow is ending next season and the final season will only be 10 episodes, if they do plan to start going anywhere with this Diggle/Stewart thing, this is really the final chance to do it. Again, I could very well be off-base and this "Stewart" guy could just be another easter egg for all I know, but if there ever was a time to do something with it, has to be now.

I'm just surprised by the notion that WB would actually allow them to do that at this point, given that the Green Lanterns have always been off-limits for the Arrowverse. They didn't even allow them to use Alan Scott when they had their version of the JSA and Alan isn't even part of the GLC mythos. They could have the occasional easter egg like Barry running over to Coast City to get pizza or mentioning a missing Ferris Air test pilot or whatever, but to basically retcon one of their main characters into a version of John Stewart seems too weird to do all of a sudden. I still thought it was worth bringing it up.
    Last edited by Johnny; 04-19-2019 at 05:40 AM.

BANNED

Well, a lot has changed regarding the DCEU over the years. It used to have Zack Snyder at the helm, and there were strong connections between the films and a shared universe. Now, Snyder is gone and DC seems to just let the films do their own things without having to subscribe to what's going on in some wider universe. Things have also changed on the DC Comics side, with Geoff Johns no longer being the CCO.

Perhaps now Green Lantern isn't off limits. Maybe the decision makers just don't care who does what with Green Lantern in their own projects.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

The Arrowverse is doing a big Crisis on Infinite Earths storyline. The original Crisis featured Barry Allen, Supergirl and John Stewart pretty heavily. I would think that's the major impetus behind the last minute reveal that John Diggle is an alternate universe version of John Stewart.

They did set it up briefly last year as John Wesley Shipp's version mentioned John was without his ring.

It would be weird to have a random reveal like that(again if true) when they made it a point on more than one occasion they can't do anything with the GLs, but something is certainly better than nothing. The character could use the exposure despite that those shows are not exactly that popular anymore.
    Last edited by Johnny; 04-19-2019 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Yes, that's actually the problem. Green Lantern is experiencing no growth, but DC keeps putting new characters in it that aren't increasing its growth. This, naturally, creates a problem. Having a problem before (John getting no focus) does not excuse this current problem. In fact, it makes the first problem (John getting no focus) even worse.
    I wouldn't be surprised this would be an attempt for DC trying to find another way to prevent John Stewart from getting his own book. This character has been very recognizable in the media, but yet DC would rather let writers create new Green Lanterns and try to get those fans to forget about John. They would rather do that than appeal to a fanbase and give the character his own solo. It's sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think John Stewart has suffered some real bad luck creatively. Dwayne McDuffie's death put the character in limbo for a while, Gerard Jones's conviction poured lighter fluid over the chances of Mosaic ever getting the attention it deserves, the cancellation of GL:TAS prevented John from getting reintroduced in animation beyond the JLU, and the Other History of the DC Universe has gotten indefinitely postponed for unrelated legal nonsense.

At least John is being used well in Justice League now.
    To be honest, I'm not really bothered about John not being in the GL:TAS, since it's more Hal focused. I don't support stuff where John is being played as a background character. He's much more than that.

About John Stewart being in the Justice Leauge, I've been asking myself whether I prefer him to be in that book or have a solo where he's away from the DCU (like Hal Jordan). To be honest, I think I would lean more towards John being in the Justice League. I'm thinking that could be the best thing for him, due to we never really see a popular minority character like John playing big events and making a big impact in the DCU. I always wanted to see that finally happen. Another thing I like is that it builds him relationships with other characters like Barry and Martian Manhunter.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 04-22-2019 at 06:21 PM.

So I guess I was kind of on the right path, Ernie Hudson's "Arrow" character is named Roy Stewart, who was revealed to be Diggle's stepfather. David Ramsey said in interviews that he doesn't know what would come out of this but he mentioned it was the biggest easter egg so far and we haven't seen the last of Roy Stewart, so I guess there's still a real chance for them to do something down the line just in time for the series finale. John Stewart was part of the original Crisis on Infinite Earths event after all.

I'm usually no fan of random reveals or retcons of original characters being suddenly revealed to be different versions of old characters, but obviously there have always been similarities between Diggle and John Stewart and the fact that this isn't just another funny easter egg for the fans, but the character is actually related to someone named Stewart makes me believe they would actually go somewhere with it.