Page 12 of 103 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

I'm not sticking around, but you guys are generally so upbeat and the mood here is depressing me.

For starters, even if Kendra did get shipped with J'onn, that doesn't mean that John can't get a new love interest too. Not that she's going to be. The word "relationship" doesn't automatically mean "romantic relationship," y'know? And from a narrative standpoint, it would not make sense for Kendra to frequently bring up Carter and what he means to her if Snyder were trying to build her up to be with J'onn. The guy's a writing professor. He knows how to properly set up a narrative.

Also, Kendra's a Hawk. She's not getting shipped with anyone but Hawkman. That's their thing. Interesting to note, though, that the same is not necessarily true of Shayera, and so I wouldn't be so quick to write her off. If you paid close attention to Justice League #16, what it actually did was remove her from the reincarnation cycle.

Take a step back and look at this from a storywriting perspective. As I'm sure you know, Shayera had actually been dead for quite a while. Snyder retconned that so he could bring her back and disconnect her from Hawkman. The Hawks are always together so if you split them up, it's obviously because you don't want them together. And if you don't want them together, it's probably because you want at least one of them with someone else. (Shayera wouldn't HAVE to be removed from the reincarnation cycle to be shipped with someone since Katar is dead, but full-on disconnecting her makes the ship much less likely to be undone later.)

Shayera will be back, and she's getting shipped with someone. Considering how much Snyder liked the ship in the animated series, that may very well be John. Prooooobably not going to be a major subplot since I doubt there will be two Hawkwomen on the team at once, and with Kendra already stated to be a main player, Shay's probably gonna be supporting cast. John needs a stronger supporting cast though so I think this could be great for both of them.

So chin up! John may very well still have some cool stuff in store.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I honestly didn't see it coming, because Martian Manhunter seemed to not really being into her as we've seen in the Thanagar arc. Martian Manhunter never came to me as the romantic type of character, but rather a character that others like to be around.
    I think it's partially because J'onn's never struck me as getting over the death of his wife and family.

Granted, I doubt any relationship between the two is going to last long given Kendra's track record with anyone not named Carter Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymc View Post
    I'm not sticking around, but you guys are generally so upbeat and the mood here is depressing me.

For starters, even if Kendra did get shipped with J'onn, that doesn't mean that John can't get a new love interest too. Not that she's going to be. The word "relationship" doesn't automatically mean "romantic relationship," y'know? And from a narrative standpoint, it would not make sense for Kendra to frequently bring up Carter and what he means to her if Snyder were trying to build her up to be with J'onn. The guy's a writing professor. He knows how to properly set up a narrative.

Also, Kendra's a Hawk. She's not getting shipped with anyone but Hawkman. That's their thing. Interesting to note, though, that the same is not necessarily true of Shayera, and so I wouldn't be so quick to write her off. If you paid close attention to Justice League #16, what it actually did was remove her from the reincarnation cycle.

Take a step back and look at this from a storywriting perspective. As I'm sure you know, Shayera had actually been dead for quite a while. Snyder retconned that so he could bring her back and disconnect her from Hawkman. The Hawks are always together so if you split them up, it's obviously because you don't want them together. And if you don't want them together, it's probably because you want at least one of them with someone else. (Shayera wouldn't HAVE to be removed from the reincarnation cycle to be shipped with someone since Katar is dead, but full-on disconnecting her makes the ship much less likely to be undone later.)

Shayera will be back, and she's getting shipped with someone. Considering how much Snyder liked the ship in the animated series, that may very well be John. Prooooobably not going to be a major subplot since I doubt there will be two Hawkwomen on the team at once, and with Kendra already stated to be a main player, Shay's probably gonna be supporting cast. John needs a stronger supporting cast though so I think this could be great for both of them.

Welcome to the CBR forums and the John Stewart appreciation thread!

Reading your post actually made me feel so much better! You made me realize things I haven't before.

I'm not going to lie, but honestly, you sound exactly like a DC creator on our premises

damn, i really called it.

While disappointing, I've been preparing myself since the first issue of the Hawkworld arc that Kendra and John wouldn't get together. I'm just gonna hold on to hope for something compelling for John. Snyder has seeded some cool ideas around John but after how little he did with John on Hawkworld, I am starting to get worried. Snyder is one of my favorite writers (he actually got me into comics) so it would be heartbreaking if he ends his run without giving John his full due. Has there been any word or interviews about his plans for John?
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-30-2019 at 10:08 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Happy 2019 to my favorite Green Lantern. John Stewart forever!
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Great now all they need to do is to bring back katama (and hopefully kendera with Carter once that MM thing ends)

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Yea, I remembered you mentioning that

While disappointing, I've been preparing myself since the first issue of the Hawkworld arc that Kendra and John wouldn't get together. I'm just gonna hold on to hope for something compelling for John. Snyder has seeded some cool ideas around John but after how little he did with John on Hawkworld, I am starting to get worried. Snyder is one of my favorite writers (he actually got me into comics) so it would be heartbreaking if he ends his run without giving John his full due. Has there been any word or interviews about his plans for John?
    Scott Snyder is an excellent writer. And I consider him one of my all-time favorite writers in the comic book industry. I would never would have thought that he could write a Justice League book so well. With that said, it's disappointing that we didn't see no building relationships with John and either of the Hawks so far. But it seems like there is still probably a chance. It may not be with Kendra as you hoped for, but it may be with Shayera.

The only recent interview I heard about plans with John is that Scott Snyder is going to build a stronger relationship with Barry Allen. On the next arc, the story this time is going to center around Superman. So far, all of the Leaguers has gotten stories centered around them in the Justice League. The first arc focused on John and Barry, the next arc Wonder Woman and Aquaman, then Martian Manhunter and Hawkgirl, and it's going to be Superman's turn in the Sixth Dimension arc. The only characters left are Batman and Cyborg. I doubt Scott is going to do anything with Batman, since he's writing a Batman book already. And Cyborg is already in Justice League odyssey, which I doubt Scott is going to have a story focused with him. I don't know if there's going to still be a rotating order on the characters focused on, but if there is, it seems like John may be centered again in an arc after the Sixth Dimension. If true, that's where we'll finally get some answers on his power set.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I'm not going to lie, but honestly, you sound exactly like a DC creator on our premises
    Oh jeez, lol. That's very kind of you. But no, I'm just way into critical analysis.

But holy crap. *SPOILERS FOR THE ANNUAL! AVERT YOUR EYES.* I was completely wrong on Kendra and J'onn. Well. Okay then. Not gonna lie, I'm a little confused. Need some time to wrap my head around this, but we'll see where Snyder goes with it. It's a strange creative choice, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I think he's earned it. *END SPOILERS*

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    To be fair, I'm not too broken up about it. I think relationships between superheroes are practically always doomed to fail, especially if one of the two is destined to be with someone else. I also thought it was ridiculous what they did to Hawkman in the DCAU for the sake of pushing that relationship. I'd say either give John a new love interest who's a civilian or just bring in Katma back. There's no reason why Katma Tui should be John Stewart's Gwen Stacy. Perhaps that's another thing the GLC movie cold help with if it does get made.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I might be the odd ball out but I really just want him back with Katma. I know their relationship isn't and they most likely won't bring her back but they were just perfect for each other. Also the Hawks give me a headache so the less of them is a plus for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    Great now all they need to do is to bring back katama (and hopefully kendera with Carter once that MM thing ends)
    I am very glad nothing romantic will develop between John & Kendra. It actually would be interesting to see a triangle between MM, Kendra, & Carter. It would be great to see Carter a regular cast member.

John does not need to get tangled up in a situation like that, especially with the comic continuity of the Hawks.

Bring back, Kat.

Neal Adams signing appearance.

February 9th. Royal Collectables NY. 3PM-6PM

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by anonymc View Post

One of the problems with the Hawks is that current writers don't follow-up/expand upon the work of previous writers which is why those characters are a hot mess, continuity-wise.

The next writer may very well ignore what's going on with Shayera, and put her right back with Carter/Katar.

BANNED

although I love john better with katama I think hawkgirl and john shoppers shouldn't feel bad since john will probably get together with Shayera since she is out of the reincarnation cycle(which is fine by me since I want Carter and Kendra together anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    One of the problems with the Hawks is that current writers don't follow-up/expand upon the work of previous writers which is why those characters are a hot mess, continuity-wise.

The next writer may very well ignore what's going on with Shayera, and put her right back with Carter/Katar.
    The problem with that would be the fact that Shayera would no longer reincarnate. I doubt some writer would even retcon her being able to reincarnate again. I'm sure something like that would have to go through editorial and Scott Snyder.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post

This is true of everything in comics. The next guy to write John may have him give up the hero gig to fulfill his lifelong dream of being a used car salesman. It's just always a risk you run.

There is a bit of a buffer here, though. First and foremost is what Sodam Yat brought up. Snyder seems like he's gaining a lot of clout at DC. His developments will be the ones more likely to stick. The last time someone with a lot of clout touched the Hawks, it was Geoff Johns, and his actions in pushing the Reincarnation Hawks all but eradicated the Space Hawks, even long after he was gone.

Secondly is notoriety. Shayera has the "benefit" of being the Hawk that no one at DC cares about. She was killed off while JLU was still on. That's how little they care. That was 2005. Do you know how many times she's been back since then? Once. In 2012. And she died within five issues. (Fwiw, Katar was Hawkman at that time and DC had absolutely no problems with giving him a new love interest.) Justice League #14 was the first time she'd appeared in almost six years outside of two or three specials--all of which were out of continuity. If you're ever down about John's lack of exposure, just remind yourself that at least he's not Hawkwoman. To undo what Snyder is doing, people would have to want to use Shayera, and as you can see, she's not exactly in high demand.

I get that Hawk ships are scary, but John/Shayera is pretty low risk in the grand scheme of things.
    Last edited by anonymc; 01-30-2019 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    I'm team Vixen as the older posters may recall but, even still, I found it very wack that John was in the same space/panels with Shayera and Kendra for several issues, and nothing remotely flattering or homage-paying was done for the fanbase that inspired this JL lineup. Even a short John/Shayera back n forth with an offhand comment or subtle nod to a mutual attraction (or whatever), would've been a nice gesture. But John was largely wallpaper. It was disappointing and lowkey foul; that compounded with this recent news of mm/hg.. i just feel bad for the john/hg shippers, despite my own personal shippin preference, bc i know how passionate they are for that pairing. And for how great and popular that pairing was.
    Exactly, Rumble

I think the arc was poorly written. I mean, she lost the person she loved, Katar. John Stewart knows how that feels to lose someone they were in loved with. I would expect John to help comfort Shayera on what's she's going through and express his feelings about how he lost someone he loved as well. That was a perfect time to tease some kind of chemistry between the two.

On Scott Snyder's defense, I could understand John not playing a big role in this arc, since he already had a big role in the Totality arc. Scott Snyder already planned to focus on two Leaguers on each arc. But he should've at least allowed John to interact with Shayera.