Page 15 of 103 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The reality is for many is that cartoon version and relationships with Hawkgirl & Vixen is the main version of John Stewart many have seen.

Where are all these trades with stories of John Stewart & his wife at? Excluding maybe two volume of the 80s Green Lantern series that showed John in a relationship. Beyond a quick mention of the bedroom by Fatality in the New 52 series.

His wife's death is not in trade.
    His Mosaic series is not in trade.
    His Mosaic arc nor his running after Star Sapphire is in trade.

His run in Darkstars is not in trade.

All we have had is the cartoon version that was not crapped on by the comic book side.

So like Cyborg, Vixen, Static, Black Lightning and Jaime Reyes-folks are going with the version that they see and that is not a joke. In all their cases it's the tv side and that's a commentary on how bad DC comic book side has done these guys.
    Keep in mind who is physically responsible for the death of Katma. Carol should have spent the Geoff Johns years sulking over Katma the same way John did over Xanshi. I don't think how Katma died has ever been referenced in the last 15 years, or so. I could be wrong on that.

Geoff gave Carol a clean slate.

I highly doubt Mosaic will ever see the light of day again due to the depraved actions of the writer.

A great chunk of John's history was flushed down the toilet, except the Starlin & Priest written tragedies. No one bothered to fill in the holes in his backstory, or retcon away the dead weight that dogged John Stewart.

So, I totally see why folks will forever carry such love for the DCAU version of John Stewart.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I am not surprised that Snyder is not doing anything with John and Shayera only because this is John Stewart, and, weirdly, nothing good or interesting ever seems to happen with him. If Scott Snyder is playing some long and twisty game with the two, my advice to him:

Don't.
    Not with this character. I've found many John Stewart fans to be noisy and complain'y (not that I am criticizing them for that, they have good reason), but in a way, they are very long suffering. I, however, am not. I have more or less given up all hope of ever seeing anything great done with this character, because I simply don't have the patience for being dicked around with false promises, getting passed over all the time, and no one at the publishing house seeming to give a crap about him.

Last time I saw something truly great with John was the Justice League cartoon and that was a long time ago by now. I suppose an argument could be made for Jensen and Chang's GLC run, but in hindsight, I think it was only okay because Jensen never got a chance to tell his story amidst all those crossovers, and it really says something that the only reason that even happened was because DC wanted to get rid of John Stewart.

My point being is I wouldn't dick John Stewart fans around with some long drawn out story where they have to wonder if anything with Green Lantern or Hawkgirl is even happening. At the risk of sounding entitled, I find it insulting, in a way. They put all the pieces in place like they have never been before in comics (which is a shame in itself), with John, Shayera, and the Justice League, just like the uber loved and popular toons, and they must KNOW they did that, and they MUST have done it on purpose....
    and then they don't do anything with it at all. To me it seems like another smack to John Stewart and JL/U fans, and I really don't have the patience to see if, "Oh... well maybe some day waaaaay off in the future, they might do something with this." I'm okay with a "will they/won't they" like what the cartoon showed. I'm not okay with, "Is this even happening? It doesn't look like it." I'm just going to take it at face value and assume it's not and move on. Just typical stuff for John Stewart. And I don't really like this Justice League title much anyway.

I guess my point is that the GL/Hawkgirl thing might happen, but by the looks of things, I don't suspect it will, and I don't really have the patience to see if it will. I'm disappointed that DC put all the pieces in place and then intentionally didn't do anything with them. It almost seems like trolling in a way, similar to how Geoff Johns kept hyping up John Stewart in Darkseid War only to give the character maybe 2 lines and 3 panels in the whole thing. There's only so much of that thing I can take, and with John Stewart, it seems like that's all you get.

In short, as I'm sure I've said before, I suspect John Stewart to more or less be an asexual in this title.
    You went straight for the jugular....no pun intended.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    Man I miss fro John

Attachment 78128
    A part of me would like to see John on vacation, and come back with dreadlocks.

That would mind-blowing to other characters, and the readers.

It's sad that I'm saying this but it may be best to just free yourselves of this form of torment. They're not letting John grow beyond what you've seen. He's not going to get the focus. He's not going to be developed any further. There's no writer who, even if the really want to, that is going to get the green light to elevate the character.

I've freed myself of Green Lantern. It's a dead end. If it's not Hal focused, it's not focused at all because the cast of Earth GL's is so large. The brand is simply diluted.

If not for the reemergence of Black Lightning I would've been DC free by now. But now with the delay of Batman and the Outsiders and the indefinite delay of The Other History of the DCU, my last bit of patience is just about out.

I don't know. Some things aren't worth the energy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    A part of me would like to see John on vacation, and come back with dreadlocks.

That would mind-blowing to other characters, and the readers.
    Agreed or God forbid have the same haircut like superman and batman but I like 80s--early 90s look best

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    It's sad that I'm saying this but it may be best to just free yourselves of this form of torment. They're not letting John grow beyond what you've seen. He's not going to get the focus. He's not going to be developed any further. There's no writer who, even if the really want to, that is going to get the green light to elevate the character.

I've freed myself of Green Lantern. It's a dead end. If it's not Hal focused, it's not focused at all because the cast of Earth GL's is so large. The brand is simply diluted.

If not for the reemergence of Black Lightning I would've been DC free by now. But now with the delay of Batman and the Outsiders and the indefinite delay of The Other History of the DCU, my last bit of patience is just about out.

But isn't that what Scott Snyder wanted to do? He wanted to use John Stewart in his Justice League run because he liked the character and he thought he was being underused. You can see it in some of his John Stewart dialogue too when John mentions that he's done sitting on the sidelines.

Extraordinary Member

I would tell anyone not to shell out their hard earned cash to unsatisfying forms of entertainment.

I understand your feelings and frustration. And I've felt like this during the Rebirth era. But John Stewart is in the Justice League, which is one of the best things that ever happened with the character. Not only this, but he's being handled by top talent. Other than John getting a potential solo, you can't ask for a better platform for the character. He has been developed during the Totality arc. Scott Snyder even used Sinestro as John's arch enemy and it's been said that John and Barry are going to be close friends. Considering how Sinestro and Barry has been close to Hal for decades, it says a lot for DC and Scott Snyder allowing this. And Batman even stated that John is a better a leaguer than Hal. lol how is that not elevation!? In fact, Scott Snyder even said he wants John to be elevated from his current status from Rebirth.

The only reason you don't see much of John focused now is because he's rotating characters for each arc. There may be another arc for John after the Sixth Dimension arc.

I think Scott Snyder really do like the John Stewart character. He has said so many times already. Him having a showdown with Sinestro, saved Earth from Umbrax's influence, new mythos for the character (discovering the Invisible Spectrum), new power set, and so on proves his fondness of John Stewart. If there's someone who could write a real good John Stewart solo, it's him.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I understand your feelings and frustration. And I've felt like this during the Rebirth era. But John Stewart is in the Justice League, which is one of the best things that ever happened with the character. Not only this, but he's being handled by top talent. Other than John getting a potential solo, you can't ask for a better platform for the character. He has been developed during the Totality arc. Scott Snyder even used Sinestro as John's arch enemy and it's been said that John and Barry are going to be close friends. Considering how Sinestro and Barry has been close to Hal for decades, it says a lot for DC and Scott Snyder allowing this. And Batman even stated that John is a better a leaguer than Hal. lol how is that not elevation!? In fact, Scott Snyder even said he wants John to be elevated from his current status from Rebirth.

The only reason you don't see much of John focused now is because he's rotating characters for each arc. There may be another arc for John after the Sixth Dimension arc.

I think Scott Snyder really do like the John Stewart character. He has said so many times already. Him having a showdown with Sinestro, saved Earth from Umbrax's influence, new mythos for the character (discovering the Invisible Spectrum), new power set, and so on proves his fondness of John Stewart. If there's someone who could write a real good John Stewart solo, it's him.
    We DC (and Warner Brothers) house cleaning staff-it's hard to take anything being done seriously until the smoke finally clears.

We saw this cycle before-something is done with John and as hope goes up-it gets taken right back down. One arc in Justice League or even being on that team doesn't means a thing. If that is all you are going to get.

If they gave me a "Green Lantern Adventures" book with the DCAU ppl behind it like Timm doing the art and Dini writing like they did with Batman, then I'd be content with that. Don't care which continuity it's in at this point (main or show), just as long as I get my John Stewart book.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    If they gave me a "Green Lantern Adventures" book with the DCAU ppl behind it like Timm doing the art and Dini writing like they did with Batman, then I'd be content with that. Don't care which continuity it's in at this point (main or show), just as long as I get my John Stewart book.
    I would actually be fine with that. John deserves a solo. DC shouldn't scratch their heads over this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    This is amazing! I would love to see John and Barry on a cosmic adventure. Throw Cyborg in there if they go to New Genesis or Apokolips.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    I've always imagined a "Green Lantern Adventures" type book as a team book with all the Earth Lanterns together.
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    This is amazing! I would love to see John and Barry on a cosmic adventure. Throw Cyborg in there if they go to New Genesis or Apokolips.
    Make the Flash Wally, and I'm there .

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    That would be an epic story! I wonder whether Joshua Williamson would have John guest star in The Flash, since it's been confirmed on the Justice League that they will be building a dynamic.