Page 18 of 103 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

One more thing I want to add to my list:

11) Origin Story - Give John his definitive origin story. I would make it as streamlined and cinematic as possible, like him becoming a GL is a big deal (this time with better art, lol). I would also keep referencing it to show how that turning point in his life shaped/changed him and use it to flesh out the "Opener of Doors" prophecy later on. Basically, I want his origin to be memorable, iconic, and vital to the character.

I think Van Jensen did an excellent job with the retelling on John's origin story. He was specifically chosen by the Guardians, rather than the ring coming to him. It shows how great and powerful John's willpower was. It also makes sense that John's leadership is guardian level as noted by the Guardians.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I think Van Jensen did an excellent job with the retelling on John's origin story. He was specifically chosen by the Guardians, rather than the ring coming to him. It shows how great and powerful John's willpower was. It also makes sense that John's leadership is guardian level as noted by the Guardians.
    I actually really love the hand-pick by the Guardians origin far more than his original one. The messaging says "this man is significant" rather than "second/third (depends on when you read) stringer" like the original. I think for John's origin they need someone to come in, retell how he was chosen so it can be fresh in readers' minds, and from there start to fill in some of the gaps. We need to see him less in the military and more of how he became the man he is. How was he as a youth? Was he part of Street culture? How well did he do in college? What school did he go to? Does he have siblings? Child of Divorce? Step-family? In-laws? How did growing up as a social activist shape him? Did that conflict with his military time? Did he want to be in the military or did he have to be? There is an artistry to architecture, did he want to be an artist at some point? Does he still play the piano? They need to flesh him out as a human being with nuance and a pathos. At least some of those should be answered but I believe they should be sprinkled throughout John's adventures.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-14-2019 at 07:02 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I actually really love the hand-pick by the Guardians origin far more than his original one. The messaging says "this man is significant" rather than "second/third (depends on when you read) stringer" like the original. I think for John's origin they need someone to come in, retell how he was chosen so it can fresh in readers minds, and from there start to fill in some of the gaps. We need to see him less in the military and more of how he became the man he is. How was he as a youth? Was he part of Street culture? How well did he do in college? What school did he go to? Do he have siblings? Child of Divorce? Step-family? In-laws? How did growing up as a social activist shape him? Did that conflict with his military time? Did he want to be in the military or did he have to be? There is an artistry to architecture, did he want to be an artist at some point? Does he still play the piano? They need to flesh him out as a human being with nuance and a pathos. At least some of those should be answered but I believe they should be sprinkled throughout John's adventures.
    I agree with all of this.
    I also want to see him inspiring others on Earth and in space to overcome fear, because I feel it adds to the character's iconic image. He'd be embodying what the GLs stand for in a simple yet powerful way without ever having to throw a single punch (even though I wanna see that too, lol). I think it's part of the reason why Hal had/has such success in modern age comics.

I actually really love the hand-pick by the Guardians origin far more than his original one. The messaging says "this man is significant" rather than "second/third (depends on when you read) stringer" like the original. I think for John's origin they need someone to come in, retell how he was chosen so it can fresh in readers minds, and from there start to fill in some of the gaps. We need to see him less in the military and more of how he became the man he is. How was he as a youth? Was he part of Street culture? How well did he do in college? What school did he go to? Do he have siblings? Child of Divorce? Step-family? In-laws? How did growing up as a social activist shape him? Did that conflict with his military time? Did he want to be in the military or did he have to be? There is an artistry to architecture, did he want to be an artist at some point? Does he still play the piano? They need to flesh him out as a human being with nuance and a pathos. At least some of those should be answered but I believe they should be sprinkled throughout John's adventures.
    I agree. Scott Snyder pretty much have touched on some of this, where John had always been acting as the Marine and forgotten about being the architect, due to the events of Xanshi. I think a good John Stewart solo story could answer all of our questions.

Art by Will Conrad

Happy valentines day everyone:

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Art by Will Conrad
    Love this! Will Conrad is really underrated; has he had a regular monthly gig since the New 52 Stormwatch ended? I'm guessing this image is from a JL variant cover...?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Love this! Will Conrad is really underrated; has he had a regular monthly gig since the New 52 Stormwatch ended? I'm guessing this image is from a JL variant cover...?
    I agree. Will Conrad is very underrated. I don't know if he had a regular monthly gig, but he was doing some artwork in Kyle Higgins' Nightwing run at the time.

Yea, it's a variant cover.

Agreed!

Also, idk if it was Jensen's run or some one-shot before the Bunn run, but there was some story where the Guardians were giving some foreboding that if John ever found out about their true intentions that it could cause some ish. But I forget if that was ever touched on? I think the story had John and Hal's star sapphire chick in it, unless i'm thinking of another one. It's been a minute
    Black Panther vs Thor
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baO2V3qTuMc&t=3s
    Ref: Avengers Assemble Season 5: Black Panther Quest Ep13

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    Agreed!

Also, idk if it was Jensen's run or some one-shot before the Bunn run, but there was some story where the Guardians were giving some foreboding that if John ever found out about their true intentions that it could cause some ish. But I forget if that was ever touched on? I think the story had John and Hal's star sapphire chick in it, unless i'm thinking of another one. It's been a minute
    I believe it was from the New 52 Secret Origins series. Van Jensen did the origin story for John Stewart in that comic.

Speaking of the Guardians, Scott Snyder mentioned that there are some secrets being kept away from John.

Shown off yesterday.

Mighty Member

I actually really love the hand-pick by the Guardians origin far more than his original one. The messaging says "this man is significant" rather than "second/third (depends on when you read) stringer" like the original. I think for John's origin they need someone to come in, retell how he was chosen so it can be fresh in readers' minds, and from there start to fill in some of the gaps. We need to see him less in the military and more of how he became the man he is. How was he as a youth? Was he part of Street culture? How well did he do in college? What school did he go to? Does he have siblings? Child of Divorce? Step-family? In-laws? How did growing up as a social activist shape him? Did that conflict with his military time? Did he want to be in the military or did he have to be? There is an artistry to architecture, did he want to be an artist at some point? Does he still play the piano? They need to flesh him out as a human being with nuance and a pathos. At least some of those should be answered but I believe they should be sprinkled throughout John's adventures.
    John can really, really, REALLY use a Year One story. He needs an origin that is memorable and engaging.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

I had a thought; let's say that the human power battery and John's connection to the Invisible Spectrum and the secrets of the Guardians is all leading to him graduating to Guardian status again. Not saying that is happening but just a thought. Anyway, what would a John book look like if he was a human Guardian (Green Guardian(?))?

currently following:

I had a thought; let's say that the human power battery and John's connection to the Invisible Spectrum and the secrets of the Guardians is all leading to him graduating to Guardian status again. Not saying that is happening but just a thought. Anyway, what would a John book look like if he was a human Guardian (Green Guardian(?))?
    I think John becoming a Guardian is almost no different than becoming a leader. A writer would have to distinguish those differences. I could see a writer probably having John acting alone in a book, rather than recruiting members of the Green Lantern Corps to assist in missions. In my opinion, the ideal thing I would have John do is being the sole protector in multiple planets and be a highly respected Guardian. He'll be able to intervene on his own if something goes wrong in multiple sectors. I rather see John do the action and making unbelievable feats. It's better than seeing him sitting on a desk giving out orders or having an extra seat and acting as a council member, sitting next to the Guardians, interviewing members of the Green Lantern Corps. We'll get to see him building relationships with other Guardians. John would be the only one to know more about the Guardians and their secrets, which could have more story explorations. This sets him apart from Kyle, Hal, and Guy.